PDA

View Full Version : Hi Guys...new member saying Hello.

Jeff Wood
22-09-2016, 21:38
Hi everyone.

I've been reading lots of posts on here, so I thought it was about time I joined.

I've just bought a Technics SL1210 Mk2, and I'm about to start the modification process :)

I got a great bargain on Ebay, £325 and it's literally like new !, it was owned by an older guy, and just had very occasional hifi use, never DJ'd.

I've already ordered most of the tune up parts, so far I've ordered (from MCRU); Power supply, Isonoe feet, Achromat mat, and from KAB; Tone Arm Damper, tone arm cable and interconnect cable,

I did think about going down the Jelco arm route, but decided on the Kab route instead.

The only thing I havnt decided on is which bearing to buy.

I know it's a nice idea to do one upgrade at a time but I'm doing it all in one go :)

I'll keep you all informed as to how it goes. I do have some experience, I've rewired a tone arm on a previously owned 1210.

My other hifi kit includes a Rega Brio R Integrated, Rega RS1 speakers, 2 Mordaunt Short Carnival subs ( I intend to change to one better quality sub soon), and an LFD MMO phone stage.

(I used to work for LFD back in the 90's by the way).

Thanks guys :):)

struth
22-09-2016, 21:43
Welcome Jeff. Another Techy fiend eh? sure you'll get plenty help if you need any....LFD, Ive heard of but not tried any of their gear. Richard Bews I think..

walpurgis
22-09-2016, 21:52
Hello Jeff. Welcome to AOS.

The SL-1210 is a nice turntable. You've come to the right place for upgrade info. I take it you've had a look at the Techiepedia?

What cartridge are you using? I'm thinking some basic upgrades for the Technics and some money spent on a very good cartridge may give a better immediate return than spending a small fortune just on turntable upgrades in one go.

Anyway. Keep us informed about your progress.

Enjoy the forum,
Geoff.

Jeff Wood
23-09-2016, 07:43
Thanks for the welcomes :)

Geoff, I recently found an Ortofon Concorde DJ S in the shed which I'd forgotten that I had, and my plan is to use that but with an Ortofon 30 Stylus.

Yes, you're right, the cartridge change is the most worthwhile, on my previous Technics deck just changing to an AT95E made a massive difference.
Also, simply removing the transformer and relocating it out of the way makes a difference and costs very little.

Regarding doing the mods at the same time, what happened was...I sold my previous deck a few months ago because someone made me a nice offer for it, and I thought to myself that I would buy the new model Technics when it came out.

But I didn't realise the cost of it was going to so high, apparently it will be £2999 when its properly released and that's just crazy.

So I decided to find a mint SL1210/1200 and spend a bit on mods instead.

Struth,

Yes LFD is run by Dr Richard Bews, it's just him on his own now. I worked for him from I think '94 to 2000.

tapid
23-09-2016, 13:51
Doing all the upgrades in one go should give you a really nice improvement . Enjoy the forum.

Jeff Wood
23-09-2016, 14:11
Thanks Tepid.

I'm enjoying it already :)

Great forum..

Barry
05-10-2016, 17:50
Welcome to AoS Jeff,

Being a member of staff, could you not get a discount on LFD gear?

As others have said, enjoy the Forum
Barry

Jeff Wood
05-10-2016, 19:36
Welcome to AoS Jeff,

Being a member of staff, could you not get a discount on LFD gear?

As others have said, enjoy the Forum
Barry

Hi Barry,

I stopped working for LFD in 1999.

And thanks, I'm enjoying it here :)