PDA

View Full Version : How to better a Firebottle Plus phono for not much cash!

speedracer
21-09-2016, 16:30
Hi all, after some help with a decision on upgrading my phono stage.

I currently have a Firebottle Plus & I love it, no complaints at all, however, as I have managed to save a bit of money my thoughts have turned to what I could get to better it.
Ever since I re-awakened my interest in hifi a couple of years ago I was aware of the Icon Audio PS1 & aspired to own one when funds allowed. Reading forums it seems they are held in high regard by many, & I have seen a PS1.2 that has been winking at me.
However, can anyone recommend anything else I should be looking at? Does Alan make a better phono stage for instance?
Budget not massive, say £500 or so plus what I would get for my FB+

Over to you lot...............

mikeyb
21-09-2016, 16:59
Going to be a struggle I think, different ? Maybe, better ? Maybe no, I think at around £800 - £1000 or so you're pretty much in FB+ territory if it was built by one of the major manufacturers.

mikeyb
21-09-2016, 17:07
Arkless has an MM ( solid state ) stage he was thinking about selling at £700.

Firebottle has another stage @ around £1000 in the pipeline which is based on the one in his KIN preamp that is supposed to be a good step up from the FB+

struth
21-09-2016, 17:09
perhaps an unfair question. but everyone hears and wants different things. fb plus is good stage but, yes, there are others in that league for similar or even less money

Arkless Electronics
21-09-2016, 17:17

Firebottle has another stage @ around £1000 in the pipeline which is based on the one in his KIN preamp that is supposed to be a good step up from the FB+

The solid state one you refer to is MC only but may well never happen as "the fashion" at the moment seems to be for valve MM stages with external head amp or SUT...
I also have a valve phono stage in the pipeline starting at around £800 which will be MM. A valve hybrid MC only phono stage is available right now but well over budget as it starts at £2K.

Jimbo
21-09-2016, 17:51

Think it's called the Vivere?

Macca
21-09-2016, 17:56
I have a Firebottle Plus. I've heard a couple that are better - the Music First and the Paradise. The MF is like ten grand and the Paradise is a buy all the bits and build it yourself job, I don't know what it costs for all the bits but I'd guess a couple of grand. Then you need to get it built. Of course there are six million phonostages in the Naked City and I've only heard a fraction of them but I still think that with less than a grand to spend you might struggle unless you can drop on a used bargain

Firebottle
21-09-2016, 17:57
Th phono only stage of the KIN is called the Vivant and will be completed in about a months time.

mikeyb will be the guinea pig for the first one :)

karma67
21-09-2016, 18:26
Hi all, after some help with a decision on upgrading my phono stage.

I currently have a Firebottle Plus & I love it, no complaints at all, however, as I have managed to save a bit of money my thoughts have turned to what I could get to better it.
Ever since I re-awakened my interest in hifi a couple of years ago I was aware of the Icon Audio PS1 & aspired to own one when funds allowed. Reading forums it seems they are held in high regard by many, & I have seen a PS1.2 that has been winking at me.
However, can anyone recommend anything else I should be looking at? Does Alan make a better phono stage for instance?
Budget not massive, say £500 or so plus what I would get for my FB+

Over to you lot...............

how about an NVA phono stage? they even offer a loan unit before you buy.

speedracer
21-09-2016, 18:59
Thanks all for your thoughts, I forgot to add that I would need a MM & MC phono, & I was looking at used prices not new.

I know it is a tall ask, & in no way do I feel the FB+ is letting the side down, you know how it is when you have a bit of money to splash & thoughts turn to what improvements to the system I could make. The Vivant sounds most interesting Alan, does it have both MM & MC ?

mikeyb
21-09-2016, 20:47
Th phono only stage of the KIN is called the Vivant and will be completed in about a months time.

https://media.giphy.com/media/OrXZpLyqUWtO/giphy.gif

:eyebrows:

mikeyb
21-09-2016, 20:51
The solid state one you refer to is MC only but may well never happen as "the fashion" at the moment seems to be for valve MM stages with external head amp or SUT...
I also have a valve phono stage in the pipeline starting at around £800 which will be MM. A valve hybrid MC only phono stage is available right now but well over budget as it starts at £2K.

Ah, sorry, I got mixed up trying to remember your product poll ;)

petrat
21-09-2016, 20:58
https://media.giphy.com/media/OrXZpLyqUWtO/giphy.gif

Nice Caviomorph!

struth
21-09-2016, 21:02
Put that away! I'm hungry :)

Firebottle
22-09-2016, 05:47
' does it have both MM & MC ?'

Yes it does speedracer.

guy
22-09-2016, 06:52
If you manage to put together £1000 an alternative way to use it would be to try out two NVA phono 2's - one set up for MC and the other for MM.

Advantages:

dedicated phono stage for either MM or MC

two power supplies purchased (so your phono two becomes top of the range with dual power supply - not tried it myself, I only have the one supply on my phono 2, but many users claim even more benefits from using the dual supply option).

able to try out and return

Disadvantages:

box count?

Wakefield Turntables
22-09-2016, 07:56
Why not speak to Alan and see if he can upgrade what you already have maybe call it the Firebottle ++ ?

speedracer
22-09-2016, 08:28
Why not speak to Alan and see if he can upgrade what you already have maybe call it the Firebottle ++ ?

Good idea actually, thanks I will.

Spider
22-09-2016, 09:32

Alan / Firebottle If you are looking for feedback on the new phono stage I would be more than happy to have a listen and feedback to you and the forum if that is of value to you.

Really enjoying the loan firebottle, so would be keen to here your new phono stage.

PM me if this is of interest to you.

speedracer
23-09-2016, 12:36
I just thought I would bring this thread to it's natural conclusion & say that after talking to Alan (Firebottle) I am going to send my FB+ back to him so he can work some of his magic on it for me.

This I feel is the best possible outcome for me, as I said previously I loved the sound I had, it was only the evil that is money that spurred me to ask the question in the first place, so very happy in the knowledge I will have the same as before, but more of it!

struth
23-09-2016, 12:44
Sounds good.. not heard his newer design yet. Sure if the plus is anything to go by, it will be a lot better.

mikeyb
23-09-2016, 15:32
A wise move, I've only heard the Firebottle + 1 box demo version and it sounded really good, Ali has the 2 box version and that was great too, I'm eager to hear the Vivant that Alan's working on.

But upgrading your Firebottle will be well worth it.

Ali Tait
23-09-2016, 15:55
Aye, interested in how this sounds too Mike.

mikeyb
23-09-2016, 18:23
Aye, interested in how this sounds too Mike.
I'm sure that can be arranged [emoji6]

Ali Tait
24-09-2016, 08:26
Cool. :-)

Arkless Electronics
24-09-2016, 12:43
As soon as it's ready I'll be starting a thread for a loan list for my new MM full function valve hybrid preamp.This will be available as a MM phono stage, a line level preamp or of course a full function preamp. Those wanting to try just the phono stage can use just the phono input of the demo unit and the passive output with the volume on max. Voilą one phono stage!

Macca
24-09-2016, 15:23
Is the MM phono stage element valve or solid state?

Arkless Electronics
24-09-2016, 15:47
Is the MM phono stage element valve or solid state?

It's hybrid. All amplification is by valves. The active line section will likely be hybrid as well. It may end up just valves depending on my listening tests as I will be making the initial evaluation prototype capable of being quickly changed from one version to another. There is a thread on its evolution etc in my trade area.