PDA

View Full Version : Connoisseur BD2 Turntable + SAU2 Tonearm

dantheman91
21-09-2016, 12:04
Hello

Upon doing my charity runs today this was in my usual charity shop for goodies "Hi-FI"....well in the store room one of these vintage Connoisseur turntable i spotted and had to have it but due to not being PAT tested yet i have to wait till it comes on the shop floor. Price is unsure yet though for its its its in a very clean and original condition has an SAU" tonearm with a "Shure MD75E cart and stylus.

I would hate to miss this but got to call them tomorrow to see if its come out yet....:eek:

Are these decks worth investing in they look great and are also transcription but this one looks to good to walk away from....:eyebrows:

struth
21-09-2016, 12:18
Think there was mods done to these, or was it its predecessor? As they suffered a bit from a noisey motor.. wouldnt spend much on it

Ammonite Audio
21-09-2016, 12:46
Beobloke might have some thoughts here!

walpurgis
21-09-2016, 14:37
The turntable section is pretty capable and is mechanically the same as the BD1, of which I'm a fan.

The arm is rather an unfortunate device and best bunged in a skip! Use the rest to make a surprisingly good sounding deck. They are dead easy to get working well.

No good asking Beobloke (Adam), he'll only say rude things about it :lol:.

walpurgis
21-09-2016, 15:03
Here's my old BD1, with a mission 774 arm and a rather tasty Technics EPC-305MC cartridge on the end.

http://i64.tinypic.com/2v9dsoo.jpg

This little lot sounded extremely good.

(and yes, that is 'rubber band' suspension on the turntable :))

Beobloke
22-09-2016, 11:56
No good asking Beobloke (Adam), he'll only say rude things about it :lol:.

:eyebrows:

Personally I'd grab it if it is less than £20. You'd then have gained a passable arm and reasonable cartridge, plus a handy platform to carry them home that will then fit easily into a wheelie-bin when you unbolt it from the arm. ;)

spendorman
22-09-2016, 13:24
Was quite common all those decades ago, to partner A BD1 with an SME arm, and get excellent results. A BD1 kit was at one time £10, think the SME was about £25.

I still have a BD1 in a plinth with an Ariston arm.

walpurgis
22-09-2016, 14:22
A BD1 kit was at one time £10

My first two were from W H Smith in Edgware Road and cost £8.40 each in the early seventies (I still have the W H Smith catalogue I picked up then, it's an interesting browse).

dantheman91
22-09-2016, 14:26
Got to wait till Monday afternoon now...

PAT testing is a must they cant sell otherwise....

walpurgis
22-09-2016, 14:38
When you get it home, move the arm inwards and outwards across the platter and watch the headshell tilt in both directions. It's the diagonal dual gimbal bearings that are responsible. Does wonders for your azimuth settings.

If you want any advice on sorting it out Dan, give me a shout.

dantheman91
27-09-2016, 16:14
I got the call it was put out today its priced at £30 but im not sure i really need it / want it as ive got 5 TT's already...

I will pop in to take a look tomorrow but as its on the shop floor already im sure it will go quick....