PDA

View Full Version : Jico SAS stylus disaster.

rdpx
19-09-2016, 18:23
So I was just play grading some records and everything was working fine, and then a factory sample DECCA pressing went all a bit pear-shaped, with the needle just not tracking the groove and slipping towards the centre...

I assumed that it must have been a very poor test pressing.

Next up same thing happened, and so I looked to see if there was a huge dustball or something and noticed that the cantilever was all skewed off to one side. I took off the stylus to have a closer look, and pushed it lightly back to centre with a pencil tip, and it was clear that the whole cantilever was just totally loose, and then it just fell out. There was a small disc on the end of the cantilever where it had been attached that did not seem straight.

Stylus is a Jico SAS playing in a Shure M75, and is about 13 months old, and up until about half an hour ago was sounding fantastic. I have no idea how many hours it has on it, but as I understand it its the diamond (or whatever) that wears out, not the cantilever falling off!

Anyone had this before, or got any advice or comments (apart from just "sit in the corner and cry")?

Robert

http://i.imgur.com/mWP9TFq.jpg

helma
19-09-2016, 21:57
That's sad... not sure how those are constructed, but maybe the tie-wire broke? In any case I'd try to contact Jico and explain what happened, it doesn't seem normal that would happen in regular use without any kind of mishap. Maybe they'd be willing to repair it if the diamond and cantilever are still good, or give you a somekind of discount on a replacement.

rdpx
19-09-2016, 22:46
I have sent them am email through their site but will not hold my breath.

I suppose the merry-go-round of "what cartridge should I buy?" must begin again...

Jimbo
20-09-2016, 05:49
Maybe ask Dominic at North west analogue if he can fix it for you?

struth
20-09-2016, 08:31
Anyone in house that could have given it a bang by accident? Like with a duster etc. Otherwise it could just have been a bad one, and had a flaw that over the years vibrations finally gave out.

I have heard of cantilevers being reattached

Clive197
20-09-2016, 09:06
It will be interesting to hear Jico's reaction to your e-mail but I think that it would be very difficult to prove that this 'just happened', even though that is the case. Please keep us informed about this journey. I hope that it is not a painful (expensive) one for you.

rdpx
20-09-2016, 11:25
Anyone in house that could have given it a bang by accident? Like with a duster etc. Otherwise it could just have been a bad one, and had a flaw that over the years vibrations finally gave out.

I have heard of cantilevers being reattached
I probably did something bad to it, hard to know really. It was very odd the way it just gave up though.

It will be interesting to hear Jico's reaction to your e-mail but I think that it would be very difficult to prove that this 'just happened', even though that is the case. Please keep us informed about this journey. I hope that it is not a painful (expensive) one for you.

See other thread. I'll probably just buy something new, which is not in any budget but needs must!

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Packgrog
22-09-2016, 21:06
Jico *DID* just start making newer SAS stylus replacements (neoSAS), so if you enjoyed the sound of the existing one, there should be no need to ditch the cartridge. I've never tried one personally, as I've preferred moving coil cartridges to any moving magnet that I've yet heard (plus, I don't think my Audiomods would be a good compliance match for the Shure/SAS), but I've heard endless rave reviews about the SAS. If it's worked for you, it seems a pity to switch.

rdpx
22-09-2016, 22:21
Jico *DID* just start making newer SAS stylus replacements (neoSAS), so if you enjoyed the sound of the existing one, there should be no need to ditch the cartridge. I've never tried one personally, as I've preferred moving coil cartridges to any moving magnet that I've yet heard (plus, I don't think my Audiomods would be a good compliance match for the Shure/SAS), but I've heard endless rave reviews about the SAS. If it's worked for you, it seems a pity to switch.
It was fantastic, but I'm a little wary of getting another one when this one fell apart, especially when combined with the fact that they put the price up. Mine was about £100, the new ones with price rise coupled with poor sterling rates is going to be almost double that.

I'm hoping to receive a used Nagaoka 200 stylus tomorrow that should be good for a few months, touch wood, thanks to very kind forum member Slav. When that gives up I might even push the boat out on a Hana EH.

R

rdpx
23-09-2016, 07:36
<inquiry@jico.co.jp> wrote:
>
> Dear Robert Phillips-san:
>
> Thank you very much for using JICO stylus.
>
> Unfortunately we are not able to offer re-tipping or repair services and all claims for returns or exchanges must be made within 14 days of receipt.
>
> We are sorry but we cannot help you on this matter.
>
> Sincerely,
> Tomoko Tani / JICO
>

CageyH
23-09-2016, 07:40
An out the door warranty then?

struth
23-09-2016, 09:00
Thats a nice response... be wary of jico. You get a 2 week guarentee...!

Macca
23-09-2016, 11:29
I love the way the Japanese are always super-polite even when they are telling you to do one.

mikeyb
23-09-2016, 11:36
I'll be avoiding Jico like the plague in future :stalks:

struth
23-09-2016, 11:48
Yup.. was considering but now wouldnt touch them... silly attitude. I have a jico shibata but didnt buy it direct from them.

rdpx
23-09-2016, 13:11
I have replied thanking him for his reply and given him a link to this thread.

The good news is that the Nagaoka stylus from Slav just arrived, and the cartridge sounds fabulous.

struth
23-09-2016, 14:18
[QUOTE=rdpx;790285]I have replied thanking him for his reply and given him a link to this thread.

The good news is that the Nagaoka stylus from Slav just arrived, and the cartridge sounds fabulous.

Wonder if they will read it.? Probably have a sneekpeek lol. Forum power may help them regret the attitude if this gets enough views.

daytona600
23-09-2016, 14:36
[QUOTE=rdpx;790285]I have replied thanking him for his reply and given him a link to this thread.

Wonder if they will read it.? Probably have a sneekpeek lol. Forum power may help them regret the attitude if this gets enough views.

not all japanese companies offer poor service Nagaoka & Audio Technica service is superb

brian2957
23-09-2016, 14:43
Yup , I have the cheaper Jico stylus on my Shure M55e and was considering upgrading to the SAS . I think I'll be looking elsewhere now as this is not good service IMO .

struth
23-09-2016, 15:19
Yup , I have the cheaper Jico stylus on my Shure M55e and was considering upgrading to the SAS . I think I'll be looking elsewhere now as this is not good service IMO .

That was my plan too lol. Not now, and tbh the nos original eliptical is very good. Still looking for another

brian2957
23-09-2016, 15:20
Please let me know how you get on Grant .

rdpx
06-10-2016, 15:53
I was just looking at the order process at JICO to see how much it would end up costing to replace the SAS.
Assuming I am going to get hit with the 20% VAT and a ten quid handling fee from the PO, the final price will be around £240, at which point I am starting to think about what else I could get if I just threw in a bit more...

To compound it, there's a delayed ETA with them as well:

Every JICO stylus is hand-made to order by a skilled crafts-person one at a time. Therefore we are not able to produce many styli per day. In particular, it takes longer to make the S.A.S. and Micro Ridge type styli. Currently we receive many orders beyond our production capacity, which can delay the shipping process. It takes about one to one and a half months to produce the S.A.S. styli before they can be shipped. When we receive your order, we will inform you of the shipping date as soon as it is decided. We apologize for the inconvenience and would appreciate your understanding.

They're good, but that is a huge price increase and psychologically very difficult to assimilate.

Another thing is that the one I had was a boron cantilever I think and it sounded fantastic in my system. I know the new sapphire is supposed to be an upgrade, but how do I know it is going to sound better than the synergy I had already?

Anyone know of any dealer offering home trials on the HANAs?

struth
06-10-2016, 16:04
not guaranteed to sound the same either as they have changed the cantilever

Jimbo
06-10-2016, 17:08
I was just looking at the order process at JICO to see how much it would end up costing to replace the SAS.
Assuming I am going to get hit with the 20% VAT and a ten quid handling fee from the PO, the final price will be around £240, at which point I am starting to think about what else I could get if I just threw in a bit more...

To compound it, there's a delayed ETA with them as well:

Every JICO stylus is hand-made to order by a skilled crafts-person one at a time. Therefore we are not able to produce many styli per day. In particular, it takes longer to make the S.A.S. and Micro Ridge type styli. Currently we receive many orders beyond our production capacity, which can delay the shipping process. It takes about one to one and a half months to produce the S.A.S. styli before they can be shipped. When we receive your order, we will inform you of the shipping date as soon as it is decided. We apologize for the inconvenience and would appreciate your understanding.

They're good, but that is a huge price increase and psychologically very difficult to assimilate.

Another thing is that the one I had was a boron cantilever I think and it sounded fantastic in my system. I know the new sapphire is supposed to be an upgrade, but how do I know it is going to sound better than the synergy I had already?

Anyone know of any dealer offering home trials on the HANAs?

And import duties? Gets rather expensive. I was reading an article on another forum where boron and sapphire cantilevers were being discussed and the findings suggested there were no discernible differences to the sound quality.

Can thoroughly recommend the JICO SAS stylus as it does indeed sound very good.

rdpx
06-10-2016, 17:22
And import duties? Gets rather expensive. I was reading an article on another forum where boron and sapphire cantilevers were being discussed and the findings suggested there were no discernible differences to the sound quality.

Can thoroughly recommend the JICO SAS stylus as it does indeed sound very good.

I looked it up

Trade Tariff

Styli; diamonds, sapphires and other precious or semi-precious stones (natural, synthetic or reconstructed) for styli, whether or not mounted

The commodity code for importing is 8522903000.

Importing from outside the EU is subject to a third country duty of 0.00 %.

Goods are subject to VAT standard rate.