PDA

View Full Version : iPhone to Astell&Kern Jr for better streamed music...

Utterchaos
19-09-2016, 13:14
Hi All,

A very happy birthday last week and a new, beautiful Astell&Kern AK Jr which sounds awesome though my SE530's with Snugs! I was wondering though... can I use the AK Jr USB DAC functionality to improve my iPhone 6 when I want to use a streamed service?

I've done quire a lot of research and now have the USB camera adapter and one of the suggested USB hubs (to fool the iPhone) but I still get the "attached accessory uses too much power." message... any one had any success?

Only thing I can think of is use the Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter and to carry around a power brick too :( .. seems a bit excessive!!

I have been looking at alternate solutions though... maybe a portable airplay to USB device but I can find one...

Any suggestions welcome that don't involve me changing ether the iPhone or AK Jr?

Cheers.

James

Utterchaos
20-09-2016, 11:49
Just tried the USB 3 Camera adapter and it didn't work:(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

struth
20-09-2016, 11:51
May not have the power from the micro usb to run it.

struth
20-09-2016, 11:56
A portable usb hub may trick it into allowing this to work, as the phone reads the first item only...ie the hub and not the dac...in theory anyways... iphone i think only allows 5 ma connected draw from micro usb.

Stratmangler
20-09-2016, 12:08
The product spec does not make mention of iOS being supported.
It does mention Windows & Mac OSX.

struth
20-09-2016, 12:13
This looks like it might do the job.

https://www.amazon.com/Plugable-Charger-Adapter-Charges-Kindle/dp/B005P2BY5I?SubscriptionId=AKIAJ27KPV45VTL2XA5Q&tag=plugabltechno-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B005P2BY5I

Utterchaos
20-09-2016, 13:17
Thanks Stratmangler, I managed to get it to work when plugged in a powered USB hub so I know it's in theory compatible...

And thanks to Struth, I tried a non-powered USB hub and the iDevice still saw the DAC, but the one you linked to may just do the trick.. thanks loads.

... I'd still be interested if anyone found a workaround that doesn't entail carrying batteries...

I wondered whether one of those extra-battery cases might work too??

Thanks

James

Utterchaos
23-09-2016, 09:50
Hi,

UPDATE: Just bodged the solution with a USB Hub and a power brick to make sure it's worth doing...... it's not pretty but sounds great!.. So much better than the iPhone on it's own... just ordered the powered USB Hub to make a more permanent solution.. reckon the iPhone 7 might be a goer now too!

FURTHER UPDATE: Just cancelled the order as it looks like the hub needs to be externally powered with mains or a brick.

so.. looks like I need one of these maybe... https://www.amazon.co.uk/Recharge-Battery-Powered-Ultimate-Portable-Black/dp/B00FYONNBK