PDA

View Full Version : Welcome from Brisbane, Australia

mjw25a
13-09-2016, 22:18
Hey guys, I'm Matt from Brisbane in Australia. I've had an interest in sound systems since my formative years. Probably due to Dad's sound system which was pretty decent at the time.

In recent years I've inherited his Bowers & Wilkins DM16 (TOTL in 1981) and built my main system around them.

My main system consists of:

Analog: JVC QL7 DD turntable + Denon DL103 > Jensen copper foil SUT > EAR 834P copy
Digital: HTPC with JRiver > Gustard U10 > S.M.S.L SD1955+ DAC
Amp & Speakers: Upgraded Yaqin MC10T integrated amp > B&W DM16 speakers + Wharfedale SW150 sub

My man cave system consists of:

Analog: Ariston RD110 SL with Fidelity Research FR-24 Mk2 arm & Empire 4000 D/I cart > Yaqin MS23b (to be replaced with an EAR 834P copy)
Digital: Component DAB+ radio (can't remember which one), Marantz CD63 Mk2 SE
Amp & Speakers: Oldchen SEP amp > Dayton USA PS220-8 Full Range Point Source drivers in vintage (circa 1960) cabinets

My main system is pretty stable though the system in the man cave is still evolving.

Oh, my gaming computer sound system is:

S.M.S.L SD793ii DAC > Nobsound MS10D hybrid amp > Polk TSi100 speakers

You'll have noticed that my electronics are predominantly Chinese brands. I've found that provided you do your research first you get a lot for your money. Where Chinese gear is let down are cheap resistors, coupling caps and volume pots. Upgrade those and you get an awfully nice sounding system for your money. The one exception is my Oldchen amp which actually uses quality parts out of the box with point to point wiring.

Over the years I had continued to upgrade my speakers and SS amplifiers (normally Denon recievers) with minimal improvement in sound quality. I decided to try vinyl eventually and picked up a cheap Sherwood turntable and Yaqin MS23b phono stage. At some point the tubes broke in and I literally stopped walking mid step on my way to the beer fridge. Things were sounding better than I'd heard before.

I naturally thought this was the vinyl advantage and didn't make the connection with tubes. Next I "upgraded" the phono stage to a Cambridge Audio 651p and the cart to a Denon DL103 based on all the positive reviews of each. This was more detailed though the magic disappeared. I returned to the Yaqin MS23b and installed a Denon DL110, the magic was back.

Over the next few months I replaced my Denon reciever with my Yaqin MC10T, my Sony SS-F9000 speakers & Dream sub were replaced with what I have now and I've gone through approx 30 different cartridges in my system. Another WOW moment was when a mate brought over an Aurealis SUT-JT to try in my system.... I had to listen for less than a minute before I knew I had to have it and handed over the cash. It made the carts sweeter sounding and put more "meat" on it rather than sounding detailed and anemic. That was particularly an issue with the Denon DL303 and this only partially resolved it) until I upgraded my phono to an EAR 834P copy)

My most recent WOW moment came when I purchased a EAR 834P copy from Douk Audio on eBay. I've retried my 6 carts (I've only kept the best of what I've heard) and been amazed that not only do every single one of them sound better, though the rankings have changed. Yes, my Denon LOMC's remain my best carts though the gap has shrunk by an enormous amount. Every cart still has its own unique sound signature and frankly I think my shibata tipped Denon DL303 has overtaken my mahogany bodied, elliptical tipped DL103. The amazing thing is that my Empire 4000 D/I and microtracer tipped Grado Reference Platinum 1 are almost in the same league as the Denon carts to the point that if they disappeared I could happily live without them.

Needless to say I'm going to sell off my Denon DL303 (too fussy about set up), Grado Reference Platinum 1 (the Empire is as good and has user replaceable styli) and Yaqin MS23b to fund a second EAR 834P copy and begin saving for a cartridge that will be a noticeable step up rather than a step sideways. I've a Hana LOMC in mind ;)

My only regrets so far are selling other carts which I'd previously been disappointed with that aught to have been better than I found them. The Nagaoka MP20 and JT322 come to mind. I'm sure that the EAR 834P copy would have worked it's magic on them. One big advantage is the adjustable gain. A godsend on those carts with low output or those with too much.

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

walpurgis
13-09-2016, 22:33
Hello Matt. Welcome to AOS.

Nice intro! :)

Interesting collection of gear you have there. The 834P is a decent phono stage. I used the MC version for a while.

I've Had plenty Denon MCs they are great value for money. If you want a real step up at sensible money, consider a ZYX R50 Bloom H.

Tell us what music you like and have a look around the site and join in any chat that interests you.

Enjoy the forum,
Geoff.

struth
13-09-2016, 22:41
Big welcome Matt. Nice to see you here, and hope you enjoy the forum.:)

mjw25a
13-09-2016, 22:50
I'm pretty mainstream in my music tastes really. Rock, country, blues, improve jazz, pop etc. Basically music from the 60's through to mid early 2000's. I tend to keep vinyl for critical listening and chill out purposes though digital playback when I want background music. I don't listen to music when walking, on the train etc. There's usually something playing in my head on loop anyway.

I may have a look at the Zyx and see if there are any direct comparisons with the Hana carts. From everything I've read they're very hard to beat in their price range.

walpurgis
13-09-2016, 22:57
Yes. I'm a bit torn between Ortofon and ZYX. I like both makes, but at the price (and I suspect it's cheaper where you are), the R50 Bloom H is amazingly good.

An alternative to think about could be the Goldring Eroica LX. It's vibrant, very musical and great fun to listen to.

mjw25a
14-09-2016, 00:25
Hmmm, a mate of mine has a 2M Bronze. Lovely detailed and relaxed sounding cartridge though not really a step up over my current cartridges. Which Ortofon carts you referring to?

Firebottle
14-09-2016, 05:47
'....mid step on my way to the beer fridge.'

You'll fit right in here, welcome Matt.
Regarding the valve magic with phono stages, the EAR834 is OK, see if you can borrow a valve stage that uses passive RIAA equalisation to see how open it can be.

Great intro

mjw25a
14-09-2016, 10:00
Thanks mate. Are there any you have in mind. The EAR 834P copy was a big step up for me, though a fair bit more than I usually spend on a component. $299 US, so about $420 Australian.

mjw25a
15-09-2016, 02:24
Anyways, just bought a second EAR 834P copy and have a Hana EL on the way ;)

Barry
15-09-2016, 11:40
Welcome to AoS Matt,

Your experiences with Denon cartridges are interesting, as are those of your Chinese-sourced electronics.

Enjoy the Forum
Barry