PDA

View Full Version : Simple effective Isolation damping feet for under equipment - Suggestions

RobbieGong
13-09-2016, 20:05
Any ideas / suggestions please.
I've had the sorbothane, squidgy stuf - didnt like using it.
Something that looks nice but discrete for each corner would be good.

Riislingen
14-09-2016, 00:50
Hi Rob,

After years of trying different approaches, I've landed on these for a bunch of my stuff.

They come in variants as well to accommodate weight.

http://herbiesaudiolab.net/compfeet.htm

Nice and discreet looking as well.

RobbieGong
14-09-2016, 06:51
Hi Rob,

After years of trying different approaches, I've landed on these for a bunch of my stuff.

They come in variants as well to accommodate weight.

http://herbiesaudiolab.net/compfeet.htm

Nice and discreet looking as well.

Nice one Mikkel, thanks ! :)

Ammonite Audio
14-09-2016, 06:57
Any ideas / suggestions please.
I've had the sorbothane, squidgy stuf - didnt like using it.
Something that looks nice but discrete for each corner would be good.

If you did not like the effect of sorbothane, then you're probably applying the isolation in the wrong place. Place isolation directly underneath equipment and you stop some support/structure-borne energy from getting into the equipment, but you also prevent energy originating within the equipment from finding its way out, and that often manifests itself as the stodgy and muddles sound that people often associate with sorbothane. The sensible way of applying isolation is to use isolation elements (whether sorbothane, springs etc) underneath a support platform that is heavy enough to provide an attractive 'sink' for energy coming from the equipment that you place on it. So, instead of using squidgy feet under the equipment, employ hard coupling via oak, metal or plastic cones that will direct any vibrations from the equipment into the platform, where they can be dissipated in a harmless manner. Isolation elements underneath the platform then block structure-borne vibrations from passing upwards into the equipment. This is something that Max Townshend knows a great deal about, and his Seismic Platforms are a perfect, if pricey way of implementing isolation properly. At a DIY level, you can use big sorbothane feet (like Deflex Super Pods) underneath a heavy wooden block such as an Ikea Aptitlig butcher's block, or better still something fashioned from layered chipboard, to provide that 'massy sink'.

The requirement to look nice is possibly the most difficult criterion to meet!

jandl100
14-09-2016, 07:16
... and that often manifests itself as the stodgy and muddles sound that people often associate with sorbothane. The sensible way of applying isolation is to use isolation elements (whether sorbothane, springs etc) underneath a support platform that is heavy ...

Aye, true that, ime.

Sorbothane directly under kit almost always stodges the sound up, imo.
But it can work well when placed under a support platform.

doodoos
29-09-2016, 08:06
Look up Something Solid Dissipating Feet sold by Deco Audio. Seem to work well for me and cheap too.

Maouna
24-11-2016, 10:59
Hi all , I am a cabinet maker by trade so I have used all sorts of different materials, what you could use to support your equipment are what we use on big cabinet doors they are called bumpons or door stoppers they come in pack of4 and in different colours you can get them from your local hardware shop for beanuts, you have probably seen them under table legs, chairs legs so they don't scratch the floor. I have this info come to some help.