hifi ferret
12-09-2016, 19:01
Hi,

I'm Tony and new to the Forum.

I live near to Chester and my current system comprises

Primare D30.2 CDP
Copland CTA 305 preamp
Gamut D200 MK3 Power amp
Canor TPV 106VR+ Integrated ( which is likely to replace the above pre power combo shortly)
Roksan FR5 Speakers
Atlas Mavros interconnects and cables.

I listen to eclectic mix of all music really with the notable exception of Rap.

I'm currently considering a move to CD transport and Dac and / or music streaming via hard disc units such as Novafidelity X40 or Sony HAP Z1ES....as part of my audiophile journey forwards ( well hopefully forwards )....do not wish to be tied to a computer thingymajig !

Arkless Electronics
12-09-2016, 19:05
That's darn sarf mate is Chester! Welcome:)

struth
12-09-2016, 19:05
hi Tony. good to have you here. Cds are excellent, as is file based stuff.. once set up its as easy or easier than a cd player. Hope you enjoy the forum

hifi ferret
12-09-2016, 19:12
Thanks guys looking forward to the forum.

walpurgis
13-09-2016, 13:42
Hello Tony. Welcome to AOS.

Many of us still use CD and a DAC. It can sound great with well chosen components or just as easily dire with something poor. :)

Have a look around the site and feel free to join in any chat thast appeals to you.

Enjoy the forum,
Geoff.

hifi ferret
13-09-2016, 14:38
Thanks Walpurgis....I have been running a cd based system for years....I was pointed to this forum by another member - Manny AKA Vinyl...he has a very nice Transport and Dac set up .

walpurgis
13-09-2016, 15:15
What have you got in mind Tony?

Many older DACs were designed strictly for CD and sound excellent. Wadia, Theta, Meridian and Monarchy Audio (that I use) spring to mind.

Picking a CD player/transport is a bit easier. There are quite a few units that offer great sound capability.

hifi ferret
13-09-2016, 19:55
Really not sure thinking about the Exogel Comet which is made apparently by former Wadia people, the Bryston BDA2 and Chord Hugo also seem to get good reviews...first step is likely to be the Sony HAPZ1ES and look to upgrade my CDP after that.

walpurgis
14-09-2016, 09:31
Interesting choices there.

Barry
15-09-2016, 22:57
Welcome to AoS Tony

That's some nice gear you have there. What kind of music do you play through it?

Enjoy the forum
Barry

hifi ferret
16-09-2016, 17:31
Hi Barry,

pretty much everything but particularly fond of The Eagles, Jackson Browne, Neil Young, Crosby Stills Nash ( & Young) .Joni Mitchell and Ryan Adams, Mark Knopfler and a Norwegian band called Midnight Choir.

Barry
18-09-2016, 22:02
Hi Barry,

pretty much everything but particularly fond of The Eagles, Jackson Browne, Neil Young, Crosby Stills Nash ( & Young) .Joni Mitchell and Ryan Adams, Mark Knopfler and a Norwegian band called Midnight Choir.

Sounds good to me! :)

Floyddroid
19-09-2016, 19:02
Greaty big welcome sir. An interesting system you have there. North? Mmmm!