PDA

View Full Version : Lawn question

hifi_dave
12-09-2016, 10:40
Is now a god time to scarify the lawn ?

I've got a huge amount of grass and I can't do it all but would like to do the some of the back garden, close to the house. The rest is green, so that's good enough.

At this time, the lawn is thick with moss and Clover, so it's really in need of scarifying but I'm not sure if it's a good time or not and do you have any tips to avoid me making things worse..:doh:

struth
12-09-2016, 10:54
As long as its still growing then yes, its a good time... A good strip and pop a mix of sand, seed and fertiliser in to it. If its very dry then soak it first though

DSJR
12-09-2016, 16:38
You haven't seen the size of Dave's 'lawn' - more like an effin' paddock if you ask me :D :respect:

I agree with Grant. We did ours in the Spring, before and after 'feed-n-weeding' it. Took loads of dead moss and 'thatch' off as well and only now are the stubborn dandelions coming back. I've been promising it another scarify before very long, but main concern will be our fig trees, which seem to grow four to five feet every growing season and soon become un-manageable...

CageyH
12-09-2016, 20:50
This will answer all of your lawn questions - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lawn-Expert-Dr-D-Hessayon/dp/0903505487

I used to use it as a guide when in the UK, and managed to recover a neglected patch of grass into a nice lawn following the advice in this book.

hifi_dave
13-09-2016, 09:10
Thanks lads. Perhaps I will wait a week or two for some rain before having a go.

I bought that Lawn Expert book back in the early 70s and must have it somewhere. I'll try to find it.