PDA

View Full Version : Concert Ticket Rip Off ?

Spectral Morn
11-09-2016, 17:01
So a friend a few weeks ago mentioned an upcoming concert in Manchester, next year in march, and hadn't come back to me, until today to see if I was still interested. I was until I was told how much - £85 :eek: WhatttttttTTTTttttttttttt ? It gets better there are tickets selling for £230 :eek::eek::eek:

It was a short conversation with me saying no. If it was a festival, fair enough, but in my view £85 is way too much. Even the cheapest tickets had been £65. The most I have paid so far was £45 a few years ago to see Journey, Foreigner and FM.

On top of this I would have to pay for air-plane tickets + travel and accommodation for one night but even if this was up the road from me, still no. I won't be ripped off by crazy, greedy concert ticket prices.

So Anderson, Rabin and Wakeman take your rip off ticket prices and shove them. I like Yes, I have seen them live several times but there is no way I am paying £85 to see you.

prestonchipfryer
11-09-2016, 18:18
ARW at the BIC, Bournemouth, March 28th, 2017, prices advertised at £55.75 and £81.50. IMO that is plenty enough, the £55.75 that is! £81.50 is too much.

Spectral Morn
11-09-2016, 19:33
ARW at the BIC, Bournemouth, March 28th, 2017, prices advertised at £55.75 and £81.50. IMO that is plenty enough, the £55.75 that is! £81.50 is too much.

The Manchester venue cheap seats are sold out. Anyway I am sorry but £56 is still too much imho.

struth
11-09-2016, 19:47
Its too much for most normal folk, but I guess it will still sell out eventually.or close to it. Personally I wait the video of concerts lol. better seat and better sound, plus cheaper.

Stratmangler
11-09-2016, 20:48
I agree that the ticket prices are high, but do you expect artists to perform concerts for free?

The costs of touring bands are immense, and they do it off their own back these days.
There's no subsidy from their record company (if they have one), because the record companies don't sell anything like the quantity of product as they'd like to.
The artists have to fund everything themselves, or pull in investors to finance things. Investors don't do things without getting a return on their money.
Travel costs are high, as are the relevant insurances, venue hire and security, PA hire, lighting rig hire, road crew, accommodation etc. etc.

I'd be surprised if the band made as much as £5 a ticket when you factor in everything.
Very surprised.

Audio Al
11-09-2016, 20:54
I went to the Tears For Fears concert in Newmarket , 1st one for 11 years , Outdoor , Lasted 1 hour 40 mins , Ticket prices were £40 each

Spectral Morn
11-09-2016, 21:25
I agree that the ticket prices are high, but do you expect artists to perform concerts for free?

The costs of touring bands are immense, and they do it off their own back these days.
There's no subsidy from their record company (if they have one), because the record companies don't sell anything like the quantity of product as they'd like to.
The artists have to fund everything themselves, or pull in investors to finance things. Investors don't do things without getting a return on their money.
Travel costs are high, as are the relevant insurances, venue hire and security, PA hire, lighting rig hire, road crew, accommodation etc. etc.

I'd be surprised if the band made as much as £5 a ticket when you factor in everything.
Very surprised.

No I do not, don't be so ridiculous, but I am sorry but £85 is ridiculous as is selling front row seats for £230 - in my view its a rip off.

£45 would be my max, and I am well aware of how things worked in the past and now.

Arkless Electronics
11-09-2016, 21:32
I wouldn't pay more than about £20 to see any gig no matter who it was! I haven't been to a paid for gig in decades but get to a fair few local pub gigs and folk clubs etc...

Macca
12-09-2016, 07:32
Since the internet and napster touring and merchndise is the main revenue stream. Back catalogue sales must be very low now. Kids get into the old bands and download all the tunes for free. So no back catalogue revenue. Add to that there seems to be no problem selling the tickets at that price. They need to charge that much and they can charge that much. So they do.

Last time I saw Steely Dan it was £175 plus travel and hotel. Worth every penny :)