PDA

View Full Version : A little word of warning

Beobloke
10-09-2016, 13:17
I know many people on here like buying secondhand gear - in fact some of you buy almost as much as I do! But may I please implore you not to rush home with your shiny new toy and plug it straight in without making a few basic checks? The reason for this is a tuner I bought on eBay last week. I gave it a once-over as I do with any equipment I buy and, on opening the plug, I found this:

http://i1197.photobucket.com/albums/aa428/Beobloke/IMG_0458_zpsmvylxqb9.jpg (http://s1197.photobucket.com/user/Beobloke/media/IMG_0458_zpsmvylxqb9.jpg.html)

13A UK mains plugs have been round for years - the fact that someone can still get it so wrong does make me despair somewhat!

mikeyb
10-09-2016, 13:21
Yeah should really be a 3a :lol:

Unbelievable - bad enough getting it wrong with 3 wire but only 2 and still do it wrong - Jeez

Macca
10-09-2016, 13:40
Even a monkey would get it right half the time.

Firebottle
10-09-2016, 14:35
If it's a figure 8 plug into the tuner then it's not going to make a jot of difference, as it will almost certainly be double insulated.

However that is a badly fitted lead, they couldn't even fit the wire into the correct side of the pin. Plus the strain relief clamp should be on the outer insulation :doh:

I always check the wiring in plugs on new (to me) equipment. One plug I opened up had the insulation stripped back on the individual wires by about 3 cm and could have easily touched inside the plug :eek:

Audio Al
10-09-2016, 15:22
I see the problem .

Black cable with a white plug :doh:

Black cable / Black plug Always stupid :doh:

Ninanina
10-09-2016, 15:35
Oh dear oh dear...

The check I use is using the second letter of the coloured wires... so Blue is 'L' so that goes to the Left.. and Brown is 'R' so that goes to the Right..

Also in your picture Adam the Brown has been put in from the wrong direction, should be from the top rather than the bottom... I can't believe someone could get it so wrong.. :doh:

dantheman91
10-09-2016, 15:39
:eek:

I always check the wiring on new equipment i get in their was once when i thought how the fuck is the house that i bought it from still standing their was so many loose stands on this bit of equipment that i was shocked..:rolleyes: some were even touching the plug casing..:steam:

Safety first guys no matter how good the equipment is check before you plug in.

walpurgis
10-09-2016, 16:07
Par for the course really. So many folk have no idea how to do anything properly.

Puffin
10-09-2016, 16:59
This appeals very much to my juvenile s.o.h

hp97GjuULX8

TazSob
10-09-2016, 19:21
This appeals very much to my juvenile s.o.h

hp97GjuULX8

What's this guy on :lol:

Beobloke
10-09-2016, 20:05
If it's a figure 8 plug into the tuner then it's not going to make a jot of difference, as it will almost certainly be double insulated.

However that is a badly fitted lead, they couldn't even fit the wire into the correct side of the pin. Plus the strain relief clamp should be on the outer insulation :doh:

I always check the wiring in plugs on new (to me) equipment. One plug I opened up had the insulation stripped back on the individual wires by about 3 cm and could have easily touched inside the plug :eek:

This is a flying lead out of the tuner, with no additional socket. And the reversing of live and neutral DOES make a difference to safety.

prestonchipfryer
10-09-2016, 20:19
Thanks for the timely reminder Adam. We shouldn't take things for granted and, there is a very good reason to have plugs wired correctly folks - SAFETY!

Macca
10-09-2016, 22:06
Thanks for the timely reminder Adam. We shouldn't take things for granted and, there is a very good reason to have plugs wired correctly folks - SAFETY!

+1

I've had a belt once, don't intend to have another. It does wake you up. but not in a good way.