PDA

View Full Version : Audiolab dac

roob
29-11-2009, 15:18
Looks like the John Westlake designed Audiolab dac will soon be with us. At around £400 looks like its going to set the new std.
Some details in this thread.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-line-level/70107-da-capo-issue-john-w-51.html

Spur07
29-11-2009, 15:34
Yeah, I heard a year or so ago that JW was designing a new DAC - think it was originally going to be marketed by JW himself but has now taken the form of the Audiolab. A lot of people have been waiting for this - come round at just right the time with the new Naim DAC about to be released. Nice price point - could be a real winner.

Themis
29-11-2009, 18:36
It looks very interesting. I hope it will be on production soon. ;)

Rare Bird
29-11-2009, 19:18
What i liked about the original Audiolab DAC was the HDCD option, HDCD was killed by the inferior SACD. HDCD was where CD was getting good so why destroy it for a fad that offers surround sound but sound inferior? suppose this is how the industry works! Bring back HDCD i say, all my King Crimson & YES CD's are HDCD

DSJR
29-11-2009, 19:41
This won't apply I suspect, but the original Audiolab DAC needed SIX months powered 24/7 before it came fully on song. I have no idea why, but I witnessed this twice :scratch:

Andre, why not see if you can buy an original Audiolab DAC. I thought it was great once run-in....

Rare Bird
29-11-2009, 19:45
This won't apply I suspect, but the original Audiolab DAC needed SIX months powered 24/7 before it came fully on song. I have no idea why, but I witnessed this twice :scratch:

Andre, why not see if you can buy an original Audiolab DAC. I thought it was great once run-in....

I have an old Cambridge Audio S700 Isoplat somewhere that has HDCD aswell.Don't manufacturers like Cary still include HDCD in their CD players??

Themis
30-11-2009, 07:04
What i liked about the original Audiolab DAC was the HDCD option, HDCD was killed by the inferior SACD. HDCD was where CD was getting good so why destroy it for a fad that offers surround sound but sound inferior? suppose this is how the industry works! Bring back HDCD i say, all my King Crimson & YES CD's are HDCD
dbPoweramp decodes HDCD CDs into 24/44.1 FLACs so that they can be listened even through a dac which doesn't support HDCD. ;)

Rare Bird
30-11-2009, 11:21
dbPoweramp decodes HDCD CDs into 24/44.1 FLACs so that they can be listened even through a dac which doesn't support HDCD. ;)

Hi Dimitri

I didnt know that, i used dbpower anyway so i'll give it a go.

:)

Themis
30-11-2009, 12:19
Hi Dimitri

I didnt know that, i used dbpower anyway so i'll give it a go.

:)You have to install the HDCD plugin in the ripper. Enjoy. ;)

Alex_UK
30-11-2009, 17:17
OOhh, that Audiolab DAC does sound interesting - and an analogue input as well, so could be used for a lot of people as a pre-amp. This caught my eye too - "A very nice feature of this DAC in USB Mode, is its ability to control the PC / MAC Media player via Remote control" - that I like the sound of! Very intriguing.

Rare Bird
30-11-2009, 17:31
You have to install the HDCD plugin in the ripper. Enjoy. ;)

Hi Dimitri
Can you guide me to this plug in i can't seem to locate it!

Themis
30-11-2009, 17:34
Hi Dimitri
Can you guide me to this plug in i can't seem to locate it!
Just give me 1 hour, I can't connect to my server from work. I'll PM you the details.

webby
03-12-2009, 22:43
Hmmmmmmmmmmm....... Audiolab.... :droolsmilie:

Rare Bird
03-12-2009, 23:14
Hmmmmmmmmmmm....... Audiolab.... :droolsmilie:

HDCD yummy yummy