PDA

View Full Version : Spotify with Raspberry Pi

Bourneendboy
06-09-2016, 20:30
I've asked this before, but still looking for an answer. I'm thinking about giving a Pi another go, but really want Spotify integration. Can anyone point me in the direction of an OS that can do this?

mikeyb
06-09-2016, 20:44
Ickstream has a plug in you can use for Spotify but I think you need to use Logitech Media Streaming software on your PC or NAS running at the same time.

It's so long since I used it so I might be wrong about LMS.

Ickstream has a forum if you want more info.

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=105362

AlfaGTV
06-09-2016, 20:44
I've asked this before, but still looking for an answer. I'm thinking about giving a Pi another go, but really want Spotify integration. Can anyone point me in the direction of an OS that can do this?

Getting Spotify Connect working was relatively easy on the Pi, but if i understand correctly it wont do ALSA "exclusive mode".
And getting it to play nice with MPD o Roon or any other player that hogs the soundcard was a little sketchy.
So, if you just want the Pi to be a Spotify Connect player Bob's your uncle..

mikeyb
06-09-2016, 20:47
Or.......

http://www.pimusicbox.com

Which looks much easier than Ickstream.

mikeyb
06-09-2016, 20:52
Or.........

https://www.mopidy.com

Bourneendboy
06-09-2016, 21:06
Thanks fellas!

Been thinking of another option, how about plugging my USB DAC into an Iphone using a camera kit?

mikeyb
06-09-2016, 21:08
Yip that works too, I can plug my iPad into my TQ Claymore amps USB DAC input via the USB camera kit connector

Only issue for me is that my iPad has to sit near my amp.

Bourneendboy
06-09-2016, 21:16
Yip that works too, I can plug my iPad into my TQ Claymore amps USB DAC input via the USB camera kit connector

Only issue for me is that my iPad has to sit near my amp.

Just to clarify Mike, as I'm about to order the 30 pin Camera Kit. I have my Iphone, plug in the Camera Kit https://www.amazon.co.uk/APPLE-iPad-Camera-Connection-Kit/dp/B003K1EYM6 then a USB A to B cable into my USB DAC?

mikeyb
06-09-2016, 21:20
You can also just airplay Spotify to many of the Pi softwares such as MoOde.

Bourneendboy
06-09-2016, 21:29
You can also just airplay Spotify to many of the Pi softwares such as MoOde.

Thinking my spare Iphone may be simpler if it will work.

AlfaGTV
07-09-2016, 12:38
Airplay works fine both into moOde and Rune... And quite stable and well sounding too. If simplicity is the main task, thats the way to go.

Quite a few DACs will work too, but as Apple has issued some current draw restrictions in the later iOS it will be difficult ot say anything definently.
My iPhone 6 will play nice (with the camera connection kit) with my HRT Headstreamer Mobile but not my XMOS-based Gustard U-12 DDC. Havent tried with the S.M.S.L M8 though.

mikeyb
07-09-2016, 13:23
And if you're going down the airplay route you'd be as well using a Chromecast Audio player direct to your amp instead of the Pi on airplay. I've have both and for the money the CCA is pretty good and can be bought for £20 right now. Mind you, you have the Pi already, do you have a DAC fitted to it yet?

If you do I would install MoOde to the card and just airplay direct to MoOde, works very well.

Bourneendboy
07-09-2016, 19:32
And if you're going down the airplay route you'd be as well using a Chromecast Audio player direct to your amp instead of the Pi on airplay. I've have both and for the money the CCA is pretty good and can be bought for £20 right now. Mind you, you have the Pi already, do you have a DAC fitted to it yet?

If you do I would install MoOde to the card and just airplay direct to MoOde, works very well.

Just an update.

I've been using a Chromecast for a few months with fantastic results!

I picked up an HRT Music Streamer 11+ at a great price on Ebay and had planned to use with my laptop. Unfortunately, my laptop has packed up and has gone off for repair, hence the Pi idea. This evening I found an Android OTG cable at the back of the cupboard. Plugged it all together and it works!

Currently using Spotify and Plex to listen to music on an external hard drive.

Job done!