PDA

View Full Version : Wanted : Preamp

cargar
04-09-2016, 14:01
Hi chaps, looking for a pre either passive or active . Need to have minimum 2 inputs , one for phono and one for cd. Meridian 101 might be ideal(to go with M2 actives)?

mongeddavid
04-09-2016, 14:24
I have a few spare Django TVC for £200 Tisbury Passive £75 and Mod Squad Line for £225 all passives all very good in their own way.

DSJR
04-09-2016, 15:56
The Meridian 101 went through a few changes I remember, as their fortunes ebbed and flowed. The last 101B from the early 80's I remember being very good. I'm possibly showing ignorance here, but not sure how a passive would deal with several metres of interconnect to the amp packs in the M2's and it's my feeling that a simple active pre-amp would do better here - and I could easily plug an excellent passive preamp with two inputs plus a direct input for a hundred quid... No idea of your budget, but an AVI S2000MP as I sold recently would be ideal as it was designed to drive remote power amps right from the off. I also liked the MF XP100, a sort of elongated first generation series pre and same case and motherboard as the first Nu-Vista preamps and no worse in sonics in my opinion. The original Audiolab C8000 was good and gently improved as the case went from grey to black - rather better than the externally similar looking preamp section from the 8000A I recall. I'm a fan of the sweet toned Quad 77 preamp, but the remote can be tetchy, or was at the time. The lightest-touch sonics of the Quad 66 preamp would also be a superb match for the M2's I think.

From here (a very few hundred quid), the sky's the limit and it's my experience that if the M2's are behaving themselves, they'd show you the subtle differences available.

For those that don't know, I remember the M2 was a smallish, slim stand mounted speaker made with two KEF B110 bass-mid units and what I think was a T52 tweeter set between them. Fully active and using generous amounts of bass eq in the active crossover, this speaker was easily 'bottomed out' with vinyl a la fruitbox (early 80's Linn LP12/Ittok) but seemed to come into its own with more neutral analogue and digital sources, The cabs were angled back a little to present the tweeter axis to the listener's ears and soundstaging could be amazing with the right music played through them, the image always presented a little behind the cabinets, but wide and deep nonetheless.

cargar
04-09-2016, 16:12
I have a few spare Django TVC for £200 Tisbury Passive £75 and Mod Squad Line for £225 all passives all very good in their own way.

Thanks David, any one of those sound very good, BUT, AFAIK none have a phono stage ? Vinyl replay is important to me.

cargar
04-09-2016, 16:20
Thanks Dave R. I did wonder too about any problems with the long interconnects (4m) and a passive. Be interested in your passive plus direct input . will pm you. I do have a quad 34 but as i have the matching 306 power am reluctant really to split them up.

hifi_dave
04-09-2016, 16:39
Flicking through E-Bay today, I spotted a Meridian 101, which would (obviously) be ideal.

IMO you do need an active pre to drive 4 mtr + M2s

cargar
04-09-2016, 16:51
Flicking through E-Bay today, I spotted a Meridian 101, which would (obviously) be ideal.

IMO you do need an active pre to drive 4 mtr + M2s

Have you got a link to the ebay one Dave. Can't find it myself

hughandella
04-09-2016, 20:59
.... there's a Clones Pre coming available ...... (!!!)
http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?46336-FS-CLONES-AP1-pre-amp
http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?46431-Amp-problems
http://theartofsound.net/forum/private.php?do=showpm&pmid=294512

if it doesnt work for you either then ofcourse I will refund in full .... I hope/beleive the Croft issue is a one off ----- but welcome views from others ...... but the Clones is a great pre

tks

chris

tannoy man
05-09-2016, 10:41
Hi, Ive got a Primaluna Prologue 3 with MM phono stoge. From Absolute Sounds, Manufacturers packing, About 20 months old.
Its as new condition. Im only selling because I sold some stuff and bought a Leben RS28cx.

Im not very good with my PC but can send photos via watsap. £875.

cargar
07-09-2016, 14:33
Thanks chaps, sorted out now. :cool: