PDA

View Full Version : Hello

Jimono
04-09-2016, 01:48
I live in New Zealand and have been very interested in all things hi-fi for over 40 years. My system is mainly vinyl based - I use two turntables, one of which I vary frequently as it has an interchangeable headshell so I can swop cartridges as often as I feel like. I use Roon for digital music. I am happy to be part of this community. Regards, Jim

Macca
04-09-2016, 09:02
Hi James, welcome to AoS. What turntables do you have and what do you play on them?

walpurgis
05-09-2016, 09:17
Hi James. Welcome to AOS.

Tell us more about the system you use and what music you like listening to.

I'm sure you'll find plenty to interest you here. Feel free to join in any chat that appeals to you.

Enjoy the forum,
Geoff.

struth
05-09-2016, 09:20
Hi Jim. Nice to have you on the forum. Hope you stay and join in discussions.. We have a big dig following in rpi etc and many use roon there

Barry
07-09-2016, 22:04
Welcome to AoS James.

Nice to have another Kiwi here.

Enjoy the Forum
Barry

Jimono
11-09-2016, 02:36
Hi everyone,
I've been away so sorry I'm late posting my reply.

The two turntables I use are 1. A NZ made table, the Aura, which is a heavy hand-made job which I use with an SME V arm and a Zyx cartridge or a Koetsu MC1 Longbody, and 2. A Voyd table with 3 motors, very light and sprung (I've owned this from new, some 33 years ago) which has a Jelco LSA-750 DB arm on it, with interchangeable headshells and cartridges - a Fidelity Research FR1 Mk3, Denon DL 103R, Supex SDX 1000 (Garrott Micro Scanner) and a Audio Technica AT7V moving magnet. I can always add the original arm on the Voyd, a Helius Orion but the Jelco is a superb arm and so I rarely do that.

I am an avid collector of vinyl, about 3,000 at last count, many of them second-hand. Taste is a bit 'catholic' with plenty of opera, classic, rock, jazz and country to pick from! I find that the music rules so I am quite happy playing analogue or digital (via Roon), but I prefer analogue if I have to choose.

I am very pleased to be on this forum now.

Regards,

Jim

walpurgis
11-09-2016, 09:35
That's an interesting choice in turntables James and a nice selection of cartridges. What's the rest of your system?

There's a Gallery section if you'd like to post photos. I'd be interested to see the Aura, I don't know it.

Jimbo
11-09-2016, 14:38
Hi everyone,
I've been away so sorry I'm late posting my reply.

The two turntables I use are 1. A NZ made table, the Aura, which is a heavy hand-made job which I use with an SME V arm and a Zyx cartridge or a Koetsu MC1 Longbody, and 2. A Voyd table with 3 motors, very light and sprung (I've owned this from new, some 33 years ago) which has a Jelco LSA-750 DB arm on it, with interchangeable headshells and cartridges - a Fidelity Research FR1 Mk3, Denon DL 103R, Supex SDX 1000 (Garrott Micro Scanner) and a Audio Technica AT7V moving magnet. I can always add the original arm on the Voyd, a Helius Orion but the Jelco is a superb arm and so I rarely do that.

I am an avid collector of vinyl, about 3,000 at last count, many of them second-hand. Taste is a bit 'catholic' with plenty of opera, classic, rock, jazz and country to pick from! I find that the music rules so I am quite happy playing analogue or digital (via Roon), but I prefer analogue if I have to choose.

I am very pleased to be on this forum now.

Regards,

Jim

Hi James and welcome. Thats a great turntable, arm and cartridge combination you have there. Did you buy it as a package or did it evolve.
Your thoughts on digital or analogue fit a little with mine. I much prefer analogue and only use digital in the car or iPhone with headphones.
I would like to hear a Supex SDX 1000, I expect the carrot microscanner tip takes it too another level?

Barry
15-09-2016, 22:53
As a bit of a cartridge swapper myself, I have to say you have an interesting collection.

The Koetsu MC1 (longbody) was IMO the best version of the big K; the later Rosewood Signature aproached, but didn't quite overtake it.

The FR1 Mk.III was an excellent cartridge, only bettered by the MC201 and the MC202 (the latter with capacitors fitted).

The Supex 1000 fitted with a Garrot microscanner, now that is something I would like to hear! :)