PDA

View Full Version : Low powered amps - SE valve vs solid state

bumpy
03-09-2016, 14:30
The sound of a good 2A3 or type 45 SE amp is well known and loved.

But are then any solid state amps that, in the < 5 watts arena, can give them a run for the money? I am particularly interested in that lovely euphonic mid range.

Thanks

Arkless Electronics
03-09-2016, 14:40

But are then any solid state amps that, in the < 5 watts arena, can give them a run for the money? I am particularly interested in that lovely euphonic mid range.

Thanks

I did propose this a short while ago http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?45913-Variable-feedback-and-damping-factor-power-amp but no interest.
It would not sound like a SET though... well not much...

petrat
03-09-2016, 14:46
Various designs by Nelson Pass ... often diy-built, particularly the First Watt amps.

Arkless Electronics
03-09-2016, 15:02
Various designs by Nelson Pass ... often diy-built, particularly the First Watt amps.

The Zen, son of Zen, Zens cousin twice removed amps may indeed be what the OP is looking for....

Reffc
03-09-2016, 15:13

Thanks

Absolutely there are. Colin Wonfor makes a wonderful low powered Class A SS amp. I don't know quite what you mean by "Euphinic" but to me, that simply conjours up thoughts of even order distortion. A well matched and decent SE amp driving a load of relatively constant impedance shouldn't sound too euphonic...they tend to be prized for purity of sound with ultra-efficient speakers (mostly big horn speakers).

Arkless Electronics
03-09-2016, 15:20
Absolutely there are. Colin Wonfor makes a wonderful low powered Class A SS amp. I don't know quite what you mean by "Euphinic" but to me, that simply conjours up thoughts of even order distortion. A well matched and decent SE amp driving a load of relatively constant impedance shouldn't sound too euphonic...they tend to be prized for purity of sound with ultra-efficient speakers (mostly big horn speakers).

I nearly mentioned that some extra distortion could be designed in :D

bumpy
03-09-2016, 15:40
I nearly mentioned that some extra distortion could be designed in :D

I have asked about this on your other thread. :)

As a relative newcomer to this site my impression is that discussion in the trade area is a bit of a backwater and will be missed by readers gravitating to the mainstream debate here in the blank canvas area. - Shame.

Arkless Electronics
03-09-2016, 15:47
I have asked about this on your other thread. :)

As a relative newcomer to this site my impression is that discussion in the trade area is a bit of a backwater and will be missed by readers gravitating to the mainstream debate here in the blank canvas area. - Shame.

Indeed :rolleyes:

bumpy
03-09-2016, 15:59
Indeed :rolleyes:

Even though I posted in your thread via this link, I had difficulty finding the discussion again. My first inclination was to look in the threads at the bottom of the trade area. Lots of 'stickys' and 'moved' threads in that bit but no sign of your discussion till I specifically opened your trade bit. No wonder I (and probably most others) didn't see it before. Makes me wonder what other excellent stuff has found its way into that backwater.

Ali Tait
03-09-2016, 16:13

Yes, have an F5 which is a very good sounding amp.

Gazjam
03-09-2016, 17:22
Heard it said that nothing else sounds like a SET done right, who knows may be true.
In my own case I know that I'll never go back to solid state, or even push pull valve amps.

danilo
03-09-2016, 17:50
I own a meshplate SE 45 amp (bespoke and pricey too :(
My Firstwatt 6 is every bit as enticing (euphonic?) with Far Better driver control and brilliance.
It also makes NO sounds.. Zero.. ears pressed tight to the dustcaps of my pore tannoys.. volume turned up.
First time I had to go and check to see if I had actually turned on the F6

Can't envision a situtation where I would refit the 45 amp.
Moderne Times :-) Techno wizardry Does move on.

IslandPink
03-09-2016, 21:16
(i) A well built 45 or 2A3 amp is not EUPHONIC - it's just the truth ! :)
(ii) closest I've used ( I'm no expert on all SS ) to a valve amp is a TDA7297 chip amp with a few mods. This, for low power ( up to 8W ) , is better than the F4 amp I built and maybe better than an F5 too, which I've heard several times courtesy of Nick G . It doesn't match a good valve amp in the HF though.
ps. a TDA7297 stereo module costs £3.50 on EBay .

All this requires fairly sensitive speakers with simple crossovers, btw.

PaulStewart
03-09-2016, 22:25
A bit mainstream in a way but I'm using anArt Audio Symphony SE 300b SET at them moment, seven watts of purity, driving my MG/Lockwoods. However, I want to A/B it against my Quintet Mk 2 when Tom brings it back, cos I like Pure Class A Triodes driving the system.

Marco
04-09-2016, 06:46
Even though I posted in your thread via this link, I had difficulty finding the discussion again. My first inclination was to look in the threads at the bottom of the trade area. Lots of 'stickys' and 'moved' threads in that bit but no sign of your discussion till I specifically opened your trade bit. No wonder I (and probably most others) didn't see it before. Makes me wonder what other excellent stuff has found its way into that backwater.

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your feedback. I understand where you're coming from, however, in alphabetical order, each trade member has their own dedicated section for advertising their wares and services, which (I agree only once you're aware of that) makes it easier to find everything that trader has advertised, rather than buried at the bottom of the trade section amongst everyone else's ads, which is what used to happen before, especially when each trader would post pages of multiple ads.

Therefore, if you're looking for, say, anything Jez has posted recently, then either head straight for his room in the trade section, or simply search his posts to date, by clicking on his username, and wherever Jez has posted recently will appear instantly before you.

The other point I'd make is that it's also useful to hit the 'New Posts' button, at the top left-hand side of the screen, where again everything that, say, Jez has posted that day will be listed for you to check. We try to make using the forum as intuitive as possible, so hopefully having now explained things further, you'll find gaining access to the information you're looking for easier than before :cool:

Marco.

P.S The 'Moved' thread links have been tided up, which I'd forgotten to do, so thanks for pointing that out :)