PDA

View Full Version : Ironic Really

Rare Bird
28-11-2009, 22:13
I might be out of order here but i've noticed this a lot. People who have great stereo's oftentimes know jack shit about music, they play what they know & that's that the end of the world

:sofa:

Marco
28-11-2009, 22:17
LOL! "They play what they know"...

Wot like Prog Rock, and nothing else? :lolsign:

Irony, right enough!!

;) ;)

Marco.

Rare Bird
28-11-2009, 22:20
LOL! "They play what they know"...

Wot like Prog Rock, and nothing else? :lolsign:

Irony, right enough!!

;) ;)

Marco.

Prog is a massive catalogue unawares to a lot

;)

Rare Bird
28-11-2009, 22:21
Seriously..You can go on most fora & you see the same old stuff

Marco
28-11-2009, 22:29
I know what you mean, dude. Often it's the same old 'safe' (mainstream pap) choices, regurgitated again and again, ad infinitum...

I think the content of our music room is quite diverse, though, compared to some other places :)

Marco.

Rare Bird
28-11-2009, 22:35
I know what you mean, dude. Often it's the same old 'safe' (mainstream pap) choices, regurgitated again and again, ad infinitum...

I think the content of our music room is quite diverse, though, compared to some other places :)

Marco.

Thanks for understanding mate, i wasnt taking the piss i was serious.You say i miss a lot by not stepping over the early 70's mark but honestly there is thousands of bands i lisern to, besides i see myself a expert in the field of prog within those years ;).Works both ways but just something that's bugged me especially those who listern to the same old crap Fleetwood mac 'Roumers, Pink Floyd ' DarK Side Of The Moon'/'Wish You Were Here', Eagles 'Hotel California' shite who claim they are masters of musical knowledge

:lol: Right!

Joe
28-11-2009, 22:52

Marco.

Indeed. We even have a Celine Dion fan!

Marco
28-11-2009, 23:02
I thought you were quite partial to a wee bit of Celine whilst ironing your skirts for work? :eyebrows:

Marco.

Joe
28-11-2009, 23:05
The only Dion I like is the one who sang The Wanderer.

Mike
28-11-2009, 23:13
Ermmm..... dunno what to say really. :scratch::scratch:

Marco
29-11-2009, 00:15
Do you like Celine Dion?

Marco.

Themis
29-11-2009, 08:04
The way I see it, people keep on listening to what they liked when they were 15 to 30 years old.
Then, whatever new and nice may come out, they *may* listen and *may* love it even, but their beloved albums will mainly come from this 15-30 period of life. Probably because a "beloved" album has to be related to some outstanding event.

How many people didn't fall in love with "Hotel California" being played in the background ? ;)

Marco
29-11-2009, 08:12
Is that 'fall in love' or 'make love'? ;)

Not me (to that particular track) - it would more likely have been 'True' by Spandau Ballet (or some such) in my era...

Marco.

Beechwoods
29-11-2009, 08:16
How many people didn't fall in love with "Hotel California" being played in the background ? ;)

House Of The Rising Sun anyone ;)

I do agree that the personal classics tend to be formed in that 15-30 period - but I also think the open / closed mindset develops at the same time... my tastes have always been eclectic; I refuse to pretend that some bands / types of music are artiste non-grata. Life's to serious to be serious!

I'm off to listen to some Mariah Carey, and then maybe some Scottsville Squirrel Barkers :)

Themis
29-11-2009, 08:17
Is that 'fall in love' or 'make love'? ;)
Let me analyze this... I'll give you an answer in 50 years or so... ;)

Yes, well "Hotel California" was an example, each one has his/her own "musical life markers". :)

Macca
29-11-2009, 09:28
What's this? Hotel California is not cool anymore? - I'll get me coat...

John
29-11-2009, 10:01
House Of The Rising Sun anyone ;)

I do agree that the personal classics tend to be formed in that 15-30 period - but I also think the open / closed mindset develops at the same time... my tastes have always been eclectic; I refuse to pretend that some bands / types of music are artiste non-grata. Life's to serious to be serious!

I totally agree people will either become more open minded during 15-30 or stay with the same

On the whole I think we have quite open minded people here; its one of the reasons why I enjoy AOS

I do have many friends who are just as deeply into music as me without having a good HIFI system and have met people with very high end systems who have less than 500 albums I even met one person who had a very high end system and about 200 albums just did not make sense to me

Joe
29-11-2009, 12:17
In another forum which I frequent, those with 'mainstream' music tastes sometimes claim to feel discouraged from posting in the music room because it's populated by fans of the arcane and Just Plain Weird types of music.

Macca
29-11-2009, 12:23
In another forum which I frequent, those with 'mainstream' music tastes sometimes claim to feel discouraged from posting in the music room because it's populated by fans of the arcane and Just Plain Weird types of music.

Which is understandable - I think the appeal of music room posts is that you can post that you were listening to something really obscure and someone else will post back - 'Yes I love that record/band too'.

Not much point if (like me) you were listening to Sade and Graham Coxon last night.... (not on the same record, obviously...)

Marco
29-11-2009, 12:29

There's a balance to be had. Sometimes it's all a bit snobby and elitist, especially when classical music comes into it.

It's one of the reasons I've never really got into classical music because of *some* of the snooty tossers who follow it (who enjoy pseudo-intellectual point-scoring in the music section on forums), and in general the kind of stuffy image often projected by this particular genre of music.

Marco.

John
29-11-2009, 12:43
Overall I think the balance is good
I admit I mostly enjoy music that is a bit more obscure but for me I would welcome those that enjoy Sade

Joe
29-11-2009, 12:54
There's a balance to be had. Sometimes it's all a bit snobby and elitist, especially when classical music comes into it.

It's one of the reasons I've never really got into classical music because of *some* of the snooty tossers who follow it (who enjoy pseudo-intellectual point-scoring in the music section on forums), and in general the kind of stuffy image often projected by this particular genre of music.

Marco.

I like most genres, except stuff with no discernable tune ('free' jazz and some atonal classical music) and 'shouty' NuMetal. I'm too old and too ugly to care about other peoples' opinions.

Marco
29-11-2009, 13:19
Fair enough...

Although I sometimes contribute to threads in this section of the forum, I'm definitely more of a 'sit and listen to it' than 'talk/write about it' type of music enthusiast :)

I enjoy reading the 'Spinning today - what are you listening to right now?' thread (and often getting good tips there), but can I be arsed listing all the albums I've been listening to every day (bearing in mind that as I work from home I listen on average to 7-8 hours of music each day)?

Errm...usually, no! ;)

Marco.

Themis
29-11-2009, 14:00
I've just put the best of Village People... YMCA, In the Navy :gig:

(I'm not afraid of tomatoes today : it's my birthday :smoking:)

Marco
29-11-2009, 14:02
:birthday:

Bon Anniversaire, Dimitri! Hope you're having a nice day and are enjoying something nice to eat with a 'choice bottle' (or three) to accompany it :)

Marco.

Themis
29-11-2009, 14:06
Thanks Marco. :)

Foie gras, magret de canard, bon rouge, gateau bought at a famous patissier... it'll be ok. It's just my wife & children at the moment (and this phone which doesn't stop ;)).

Marco
29-11-2009, 14:10
Sounds fab, Dimitri! Can I have a 'doggy bag', please? :)

I'm not sure if you'll be familiar with that term ;)

Wife and children & phone? After eating and drinking that lot, followed by a few Armagnacs, you'll be past caring!!

Marco.

Themis
29-11-2009, 14:23
Sounds fab, Dimitri! Can I have a 'doggy bag', please? :)

I'm not sure if you'll be familiar with that term ;)

Wife and children & phone? After eating and drinking that lot, followed by a few Armagnacs, you'll be past caring!!

Marco.

:lol: :lol: yes, a small nap after the Armagnac is necessary, I guess !!!

(I know what a doggy bag is ;))

The Grand Wazoo
29-11-2009, 19:18
I'm not afraid of tomatoes today : it's my birthday

You should always be afraid of any fruit that looks like a vegetable.
But this one's a real killer...........
http://www.waltsense.com/storage/articles/20090513_killer_tomato.jpg

Themis
29-11-2009, 19:28
A killer tomato !

It reminds me to watch "The attack of Giant Moussaka" tonight ! :)
OBqhlPISuAQ

Beechwoods
29-11-2009, 19:55
I've just put the best of Village People... YMCA, In the Navy :gig:

(I'm not afraid of tomatoes today : it's my birthday :smoking:)

Happy Birthday Dimitri :)

Just for you, may favourite version of YMCA. The Cantonese version (I think), by George Lam. This kicks disco butt! Enjoy!

YSlPksIvmOI

Peter Galbavy
01-12-2009, 10:05
I would consider myself a listener of varied taste, but I don't "understand" music. I can't. I have had many a professional musician try to educate me especially in the weird world of "keys" but it simply doesn't sink in. I watched the rather good TV series "How Music Works" which was entertaining but didn't work either :)

When it comes to listening the subject depends very much what mood I am in. I almost always can appreciate a technically well presented recording regardless of genre - my exceptions like someone above being freeform jazz (vomit...) and anything assoiated with Morrissey. Sometimes I want come orchestral, sometimes electronica and sometimes thrash metal.

One area that is sadly overlooked because of the confusing breadth of talent is the "World Music" sections of many retailers and online shops. I love it because it's so anti-US/UK commercial crap. There's plenty of commercial crap, mind, but it's not Radio 1/ Crapital 95.8 level. Another thing that makes me tick with foreign (non-English) music that for vocals I sometimes don't want to understand the words but just appreicate the human voice as an instrument. Not speaking anything except English and Hungarian, that's easy :)

I have found a couple of ways to expand my knowledge and experience and they are to buy compilations where you know only one or two artists (to give you a basis for the rest of the content) and then buy albums by those you like. The other is to buy albums simply on spec, sometimes based on the cover art (yes, I can be that experimentally shallow!) and other times by the notes on the back - the recording studio, the year, the label (if it's a small obscure one).

Example - and I might regret it - is that Mark from Focal, when he recently swapped my speakers over, left me a sampler "Focal 6 - The Spirit of Sound" and track two is Molly Johnson, Melody. It's "jazz" but something about her vocal hooked me quite well, so onto the web and 3 CDs on the way from play.com.

Joe
01-12-2009, 19:48
I would consider myself a listener of varied taste, but I don't "understand" music. I can't. I have had many a professional musician try to educate me especially in the weird world of "keys" but it simply doesn't sink in. I watched the rather good TV series "How Music Works" which was entertaining but didn't work either :)

It's the same with me (and I also watched 'How Music Works'). It may be something to do with being crap at maths; I've found people who are maths whizzes are often very good with music.

The Grand Wazoo
02-12-2009, 00:21
People who are good at languages are also often good with music..............

I'm crap at maths & I can barely speak my native tongue..........I just go with what I feel.

However, I feel '2 & 2' make 'oui monsieur'