PDA

View Full Version : WTD: A pair of JBL Control 1s. Preferably silver ones.

Martyn Miles
31-08-2016, 14:02
Do any Forum members have a pair of ( preferably ) silver JBL Control 1s ?

I am running a bedroom system with an Akai Receiver.
Any other loudspeaker suggestions are welcome, but I do like the little JBLs...

Thanks.

Macca
31-08-2016, 16:47
I have some in black but IIRC they were only about sixty squid brand new off eBay, including delivery and wall brackets. Have they gone up in price?

Martyn Miles
31-08-2016, 17:24
Thank you.
I have now sourced a pair of Control 1s.

Thanks.
Martyn.

cjm123
01-09-2016, 08:29
Hi Martyn,

I have a pair (black) which I got for the princely sum of £49 from Richer Sounds are driven by my Amptastic Mini 1 from my iMac in my computer room and they sound really enjoyable and at that price I reckon are a steal. OK they might not be the last word in refinement but they do dynamics, imaging and vocal articulation really well and the much slated tweeter actually makes cymbals sound like cymbals. Anyway I hope you enjoy them!:)..also the more poke you give them the more they seem to like it..typical JBL!

Chris

Macca
01-09-2016, 17:17
Hi Martyn,

I have a pair (black) which I got for the princely sum of £49 from Richer Sounds are driven by my Amptastic Mini 1 from my iMac in my computer room and they sound really enjoyable and at that price I reckon are a steal. OK they might not be the last word in refinement but they do dynamics, imaging and vocal articulation really well and the much slated tweeter actually makes cymbals sound like cymbals. Anyway I hope you enjoy them!:)..also the more poke you give them the more they seem to like it..typical JBL!

Chris

Just put mine in the main rig for a listen. God they are good for something slightly smaller than a shoebox that costs under sixty quid. Tweeter is slightly 'obvious' but not in a bad way. You can hear the layering in the backing vocals on Steely Dan's 'Hey Nineteen' You don't have to listen for it, it is just there.

cjm123
01-09-2016, 19:01
Martin,

You are absolutely right.....with all this high priced over hyped gear around it makes you think doesn't it?:scratch:

Chris

User211
01-09-2016, 19:34
I used to use a pair I got from Richer Sounds years ago as a PC speaker, with a Cyrus Two.

Boy did they do a good Doom/Doom II shotgun sound with the Cyrus cranked up!

Brilliant for the money. The cabs are super inert for a speaker at the price.

I just took them down the dump a few weeks ago as the treble unit of one was shot.

Control 1G, this was.