PDA

View Full Version : Wanted: Low Output MC for Ittok

Natara
29-08-2016, 17:35
Hi
I want to try a Low Output MC on my ittok I'm using a HO Dynavector 10x5 so could like to improve on that. Cheers

Ammonite Audio
29-08-2016, 19:20
I have a Benz Wood SL in my personal collection (eg nothing to do with my husiness) that's not being used and could be for sale for £375, and which would work nicely in an Ittok. It's had relatively little use - probably less than 200 hours. It's in perfect condition, complete with all original packaging, calibration printout, tools.

Natara
29-08-2016, 22:49
Thank you so much I intend to let the ad run for a bit and then decide. Also this is speculative thread and is open for any other members who see a cart here that takes their fancy, please be my guest.

Colin123
02-09-2016, 16:35
I have a Benz Wood SL in my personal collection (eg nothing to do with my husiness) that's not being used and could be for sale for £375, and which would work nicely in an Ittok. It's had relatively little use - probably less than 200 hours. It's in perfect condition, complete with all original packaging, calibration printout, tools.

I would be quite interested in this cartridge if Natara is not.

Colin.

carruthersesq
02-09-2016, 17:39
Hi Tara
I may have a Denon DL S1 with approx 150hrs on it. I don't think it is well suited to my system so I'm not hearing it at its best. I'm about to try it with a head amp and I may change my mind. I'll confirm early next week which way I decided to go. I'd be looking to recoup what I paid for it recently which was £400.

Masses of admiration for this cart here on the AOS as well as all over the web.

Natara
02-09-2016, 22:09
Thank you so much for the offer the price is very fair but I think it might be a little bit too fine a cart for my listening tastes. I have heard a lot about this cart and as you say it is very, very highly regarded and considered as detailed and fine as other Japanese cartridges costing thousands of pounds but it can be picky about systems and as is sometimes the case the pay off for all that finesse and detailing is a slight lack of bass which doesnt matter of your thing is string quartets can be a bit of a problem when you listen to lots of Reggae like me. So thanks again I really hope that the SUT makes the whole thing click for you.

Ammonite Audio
03-09-2016, 07:18
I would be quite interested in this cartridge if Natara is not.

Colin.

Forum e-mail sent

Marco
03-09-2016, 08:05
Thank you so much for the offer the price is very fair but I think it might be a little bit too fine a cart for my listening tastes. I have heard a lot about this cart and as you say it is very, very highly regarded and considered as detailed and fine as other Japanese cartridges costing thousands of pounds but it can be picky about systems and as is sometimes the case the pay off for all that finesse and detailing is a slight lack of bass which doesnt matter of your thing is string quartets can be a bit of a problem when you listen to lots of Reggae like me. So thanks again I really hope that the SUT makes the whole thing click for you.

Hi Tara,

I think you've got a pretty good handle on the DL-S1. It's all the things you say, however although not a 'bass monster' (certainly it doesn't have the 'rhythmic heft', in that respect, of the DL-103), it's not exactly lacking in that area and reproduces what's on the recording, without embellishment.

However, it's not a cartridge I'd be recommending for Reggie music, Dub-Step, dance music, or anything of the ilk. Its primary strengths are in accurately reproducing acoustic instruments and voices, and so it excels with jazz, classical, and anything featuring the human voice, where it just sounds utterly sublime in a way cartridges costing many times its price struggle to achieve - and yes, it is rather set-up fussy! :)

Marco.

DSJR
03-09-2016, 08:16
Remember to remove the arm when fitting a cartridge (the arm cable will need to be unlocked from the pillar first if you haven't already discovered this), as the majority of Ittoks are screwed together and these joints will be stressed otherwise. The stock Ittok away from an 80's fruitbox is a slightly brash, lively and tingly beast, so bear that in mind while choosing a cartridge. For example, on a pre Cirkus LP12, a 17D series cartridge worked like a dream in an Ittok, but put this arm-cartridge elsewhere, and it could take your fillings out I suspect. I still think a 20X series would be too far in the opposite direction.

I'm going to throw HANA in the mix, and then run for the hills... ;) Ortofon are having a laugh these days with their new pricing imo and like Pro-Ject, seem to make something for all reasons and seasons with no real strategy behind them apart from now forcing all their UK dealers to stock most if not all of the range, good, bad and indifferent - just my opinion obviously.

Natara
03-09-2016, 09:13
Hi Tara,

I think you've got a pretty good handle on the DL-S1. It's all the things you say, however although not a 'bass monster' (certainly it doesn't have the 'rhythmic heft', in that respect, of the DL-103), it's not exactly lacking in that area and reproduces what's on the recording, without embellishment.

However, it's not a cartridge I'd be recommending for Reggie music, Dub-Step, dance music, or anything of the ilk. Its primary strengths are in accurately reproducing acoustic instruments and voices, and so it excels with jazz, classical, and anything featuring the human voice, where it just sounds utterly sublime in a way cartridges costing many times its price struggle to achieve - and yes, it is rather set-up fussy! :)

Marco.

Yes and thanks Marco I do believe that being the last consideration on any deck after the deck itself and the arm makes the cartridge the most crucial part and the hardest to get right and so even with a system as conventional as mine can be made to sound exceptional. When your component parts leave very little room for creativity the cartridge is the one place where you can get creative and so of course you can f*** things up royally if you are not careful which is why the very uncreative 10x5 I have is so easy to live with but I just feel like trying something different but of course don't want to spend a fortune on an experiment so all advice that anybody wants to take the time to give is most welcome.

Natara
03-09-2016, 09:23
Remember to remove the arm when fitting a cartridge (the arm cable will need to be unlocked from the pillar first if you haven't already discovered this), as the majority of Ittoks are screwed together and these joints will be stressed otherwise. The stock Ittok away from an 80's fruitbox is a slightly brash, lively and tingly beast, so bear that in mind while choosing a cartridge. For example, on a pre Cirkus LP12, a 17D series cartridge worked like a dream in an Ittok, but put this arm-cartridge elsewhere, and it could take your fillings out I suspect. I still think a 20X series would be too far in the opposite direction.

I'm going to throw HANA in the mix, and then run for the hills... ;) Ortofon are having a laugh these days with their new pricing imo and like Pro-Ject, seem to make something for all reasons and seasons with no real strategy behind them apart from now forcing all their UK dealers to stock most if not all of the range, good, bad and indifferent - just my opinion obviously.

And thanks for that opinion David it is most welcome, I found out long ago with all things very fiddly to employ the services of someone like yourself that excells in fiddly things and so when even just fitting a cartridge I will take my deck down to my local tech John at Audio T who is excellent I have an Audio Origami Tonearm cable waiting to be fitted but will wait until I need something else done like a cart change to justify the expense which is another reason not to spend a fortune on what is essentially a bit of an experiment. I missed out on a 17 D about a month ago and would love to try one and yes I think the 20x would just be more of the same I have read very positive reviews on the Hana is it true they are made by Benz?

karma67
03-09-2016, 09:53
johns a great guy,your in good hands there :)

DSJR
03-09-2016, 10:50
I use an Audio Origami exit cable too on my Rega R200 (with cardas male socket fitted) - the price I paid for it used was little more than buying the cables, plugs and making it myself - probably not as well - and it's very good indeed I think, which is why I keep banging on about the Van Damme Pro-Patch cables it uses.. In fairness, the original Ittok cable isn't at all bad apart from some inline resistance, according to reviews of old, which is probably meaningless in the real world, but as we all like to tweak and modify around here :D.....

I think there is an Audio T darn sarf that is reportedly very good and honest. I still have nightmares about the Reading branch from some time ago, which took aggressively blinkered 'flat earth' ignorance to a higher plane I remember. Maybe the manager's grown up a bit since and opened his eyes, assuming he's still there of course...

Natara
03-09-2016, 11:41
I use an Audio Origami exit cable too on my Rega R200 (with cardas male socket fitted) - the price I paid for it used was little more than buying the cables, plugs and making it myself - probably not as well - and it's very good indeed I think, which is why I keep banging on about the Van Damme Pro-Patch cables it uses.. In fairness, the original Ittok cable isn't at all bad apart from some inline resistance, according to reviews of old, which is probably meaningless in the real world, but as we all like to tweak and modify around here :D.....

I think there is an Audio T darn sarf that is reportedly very good and honest. I still have nightmares about the Reading branch from some time ago, which took aggressively blinkered 'flat earth' ignorance to a higher plane I remember. Maybe the manager's grown up a bit since and opened his eyes, assuming he's still there of course...

The Audio T in Brighton is very good the deck tech John is extremely knowledgeable about the Lp12 and is very good at the pratical side too and although slightly aloof the store manager is always pleasant enough as is the other support staff Paul I think it is a good store and has been there years previously called Jeffries I think.

Natara
03-09-2016, 20:07
johns a great guy,your in good hands there :)

Yes Jamie you are right he definitely knows his way around a record player an excellent technician and very reasonable prices too.