PDA

View Full Version : The Deer Hunter.

luyingdai
28-08-2016, 11:46
One of my favourite DvD is the Deer Hunter. However it is in 2.35:1 format.
I have been looking around for one that has been enhaced to 16:9 format but unable to.

Does anyone know whether this DvD has ever been enhanced/formatted into 16:9.

Do not advise me to change my Tv to fill up the screen as I tried and it looks odd.

It is exasperating to watch it in 2.35 : 1 format as the top and bottom has shaved off 1/3 of the real estate.

Anyone any clue where I can buy one in 16:9 aspect ratio if in fact there is such fromat available.

Would really appreciate any information on it.

Thanks.

struth
28-08-2016, 12:31
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Deer-Hunter-Blu-ray-Robert-Niro/dp/B0042ADWDQ/ref=sr_1_2?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1472387433&sr=1-2&keywords=Deer+hunter

Bluray says 16:9 from 2010. Dont have it so cant confirm

luyingdai
28-08-2016, 13:19
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Deer-Hunter-Blu-ray-Robert-Niro/dp/B0042ADWDQ/ref=sr_1_2?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1472387433&sr=1-2&keywords=Deer+hunter

Bluray says 16:9 from 2010. Dont have it so cant confirm

Thank you for the referral.

Their description is not supported by what is indicated on the 2nd picture which shows its aspect ratio as 2.35 : 1

So this Bluray is not 16:9

struth
28-08-2016, 13:43
https://www.amazon.com/Deer-Hunter-Widescreen-Academy-Award/dp/B000KRNFRS

luyingdai
29-08-2016, 03:25
Thanks Grant.

This edition is what I now have which is widescreen 2.35:1 and the Top and Bottom are cut off.

What I am looking for is a Dvd/Bluray with
aspect ratio 16:9 or 2.35:1 enhanced to 16:9 aspect ratio.

Regards.
Luyingdai

Macca
29-08-2016, 08:42
Checked m copy and it is 2.35 to 1. Maybe that is the only release? I can't recall that you actually lose any of the picture when watching, though. What is your telly?

narabdela
29-08-2016, 08:44
Sorry luyingdai m8, but you seem to have got this arse over tit.

The Deer Hunter was filmed in Anamorphic 2.35:1 Panavision, which is the ratio it is meant to be viewed in. Nothing is missing from the top and bottom.

If you view it in 16:9 it is the sides of the picture which are cut off. This butchering, not 'enhancement'.

luyingdai
29-08-2016, 10:31
Checked m copy and it is 2.35 to 1. Maybe that is the only release? I can't recall that you actually lose any of the picture when watching, though. What is your telly?

It is Pioneer 43" Plasma TV (PDP-436PG)

luyingdai
29-08-2016, 10:36

The Deer Hunter was filmed in Anamorphic 2.35:1 Panavision, which is the ratio it is meant to be viewed in. Nothing is missing from the top and bottom.

If you view it in 16:9 it is the sides of the picture which are cut off. This butchering, not 'enhancement'.

The top and bottom of the Tv is blackened out. So I am watching the movie on half of my screen.

It is with great difficulty that I am watching it especially when is is one of my favourite.

I would prefer that i2.35:1 is enhanced for 16:9 to fit my screen.

So my enquiry still remain as to whether such an edition is available.

Regards
Luyingdai

Macca
29-08-2016, 11:18
This seems like TV size problem. Are you sat a long way from it? I used to have a Phillips 32 inch widescreen CRT effort and with films in cinema ratio ('letterbox') the size of the actual picture was only 2/3rds of an already small screen. Ugrading to a 50 inch (seating is 8 feet away from the screen) sorted that problem, although a projection screen would be the ideal, I'm not fanatical enough to spend the money required.

struth
29-08-2016, 11:26
The top and bottom of the Tv is blackened out. So I am watching the movie on half of my screen.

It is with great difficulty that I am watching it especially when is is one of my favourite.

Regards
Luyingdai

Alas those are the only remakes of the dvd.. Funnily its not been given any treatment since they did the bluray tmk.2009 i think

narabdela
29-08-2016, 14:24

Regards
Luyingdai

Anyone got a brick wall I can borrow for about five minutes?

luyingdai
30-08-2016, 12:09

Narabdela,

Nowhere did I mention that anything was missing if were to exercise care to read and not jump to conclusion.
I just said the Top and Bottom black horizontal lines were shaved off the real estate and not referring to the original image.

"enhanced" is used in some DVD descriptive details as in The Godfather Part 1, 2 and 3 where it is mention "Widesrceen Version Enhanced for 16:9 T.Vs " It is more comfortable to watch as it fills the TV screen optimally by the producer/publisher .

There is no need to be combative and with your innuendo of a brick wall it smacks of intolerance which I do not believe is in accordance with the spirit of this forum.

If one cannot lend a helping hand, withdraw it instead of flailing it.

We are here to assist/advice one another to enjoy audio/video.

Live and let live.

narabdela
30-08-2016, 12:51
Nowhere did I mention that anything was missing if were to exercise care to read and not jump to conclusion.
I just said the Top and Bottom black horizontal lines were shaved off the real estate and not referring to the original image.

My apologies...however

This edition is what I now have which is widescreen 2.35:1 and the Top and Bottom are cut off.

Macca
30-08-2016, 17:22
Must admit Ying, I also thought you were saying that you were losing chunks of the actual picture rather than just screen real estate.

Your solution is to get a larger screen since I doubt that The Deerhunter is the only good film unavailable in 16:9 - It isn't possible to have too large a screen ;)

Great film btw and one of my all-time favourites.

luyingdai
01-09-2016, 13:35
My apologies...however

The common movies are filmed in widescreen 2.35:1.

Most viewers who watch Dvds would have known that such movies often appear on TV screens with black bands on top and bottom of their screens taking 1/3 of the screens particularly on 16:9 screens.

Their experience would be sufficient to have provided them with the knowledge that " the Top and Bottom are cut off" cannot be referring to the images being shaved-off top and bottom in the manner that a star's hair or feet are cut-off. It can only refer to the horizontal black bars occupying the real estate giving the impression of a "cut-off Top and Bottom"

On whatever TV screen it is shown , the 2.35:1 ratio would be displayed in that format.

Words should not be taken literally but in the context of one's experience.

Some who are genuine would be honest with their conclusion while others would take pleasure in twisting for personal satisfaction.

I rest my case !

struth
01-09-2016, 13:38
No need to rub it in... Hesaid sorry and that should be good enough

Macca
01-09-2016, 14:41
And it is the case that some films shown on televisison do have parts of the actual picture cut out due to re-sizing to fit the screen. Unlikely to be part of an actor missing,since they are generally framed centre shot, but sides, top and bottom can go missing this way.

It may not really matter, but it isn't watching the film as the director intended.

luyingdai
01-09-2016, 15:02
Advice respected.

Lets move on.

bumpy
04-10-2016, 08:34
Love this through a fine Hi fi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLt56nTcnK0