PDA

View Full Version : Pi + Sabre DAC problem

Bonky
28-08-2016, 09:47
Please can you help…

I have a Raspberry Pi2 and a new Audiphonics Sabre DAC (I-Sabre V3 DAC ES9023 TCXO )

I had the two working fine with both Moode and Volumio; the problem was that it was all ‘bare-back’ and held in place with elastic bands, so I went for one of these:

http://www.audiophonics.fr/en/diy-dac/audiophonics-raspdac-kit-diy-network-player-for-raspberry-pi-20-dac-p-11137.html

Now the DAC works well; it will play into my hi-fi. However the screen is dead and there is a flashing blue light around the outer edge os the power button (The white light in the middle of the button that I’ve seen in the videos isn’t on).

After a Google trawl, I thought I knew the answer - the DAC needs a minimum of 6v whereas, when it was working fine, the linear PS was giving the Raspberry Pi 5.1v (The DAC got its power from the Pi). The DAC in its new black box has its own PS and this time the Pi gets its power from the DAC). So I tweaked the Linear PS to give 6.2v. But, I still get the same result.

There’s quite an extensive thread on RuneAudio on this and it seems that one needs to re-program the Pi with a load of mumbo-jumbo code which I hadn’t thought was necessary.

I’ve checked and jiggled the wiring but I still have the flashing blue light and no screen. Does anyone know the answer?

Thanks,
Richard.

Bonky
29-08-2016, 16:27
In answer to my own question...I had this as a response from Audiophonics so will post here as a help to others. (Mods: you may wish to place it in Moodeplayer help...perhaps I'll do it and you delete it if you dislike dual posts).
I eventually downloaded the file (it doesn't like Safari), opened it, but, on my Mac I haven't got the faintest idea as to what to do next!

Nevertheless, here's the info for Rune and Moode. (I wonder why not Volumio?):...

Bonjour,

Nous rassemblons ici les différentes versions et évolutions des solutions softwares modifiées dédiées aux RaspDac :
"Here you can find all the modded audio releases dedicated to Raspdac product range" :

RuneAudio

--"Runeaudio" avec gestion de l'alimentation (I-Sabre V3 et Audiophonics PI-SPC) :
With power management :

https://mega.nz/#!8dplBCxD!2xdMBRvzqzj_hWMKEMPzh8ZUJsbtZT73EdXeDdF K-DE

--"Runeaudio" avec gestion de l'alimentation (I-Sabre V3 et Audiophonics PI-SPC) et afficheur Oled (Winstar Ecran Oled 16x2) :
With power management and Oled display support :

https://mega.nz/#!EEBjWbjC!r5cNR2vrXuwisvUGdu_2aflWkoXlusgnjh66LFW Dob0

--"Runeaudio" avec gestion de l'alimentation (I-Sabre V3 et Audiophonics PI-SPC), afficheur Oled (Winstar Ecran Oled 16x2) et diode IR (Data sur le PIN 26) :
With power management, Oled display support and IR receiver (Data on PIN 26):

https://mega.nz/#!IYYWHTLA!uYBCiXNC7AO1Y1ln8HF4WcdtPeIEFXisLuJ6sYI HQhg

--"Runeaudio" et diode IR (Data sur le PIN 26) :
With IR receiver (Data on PIN 26):

https://mega.nz/#!EFZVCbrC!m_VViHJiuZyu56x84TVh610cDeOZ0rseFpnWIv4 32Kg

MoodeAudio

--"MoodeAudio" avec gestion de l'alimentation (I-Sabre V3 et Audiophonics PI-SPC) :
With power management :

https://mega.nz/#!8AwHECpT!PHMOpwo7sBqIWXGUXqXxoGJo0YUVSfxNLDPikfD U2Dk

--"MoodeAudio" avec gestion de l'alimentation (I-Sabre V3 et Audiophonics PI-SPC) et afficheur Oled (Winstar Ecran Oled 16x2) :
With power management and Oled display support :

https://mega.nz/#!kYwWBAxS!35kR-cV3dRWim2cbWtdVbLGO_LKaqEPMRGI_dYUUx0A

Nous compléterons cette liste au fur et a mesure de nos avancées.

Bonne écoute !

BW

Richard

AlfaGTV
29-08-2016, 20:24
Hi Bonky, ive been trying to help a pal with the very same issue. If you download the last image ("With power management an oled display support"), and flash that to an SD card you should be very well on your way! For my pal this took care of the power management which worked like a charm. The display however, no luck so far...
Also, please check the wiring diagrams that ar available on audiophonics site!

Bonky
29-08-2016, 21:15
Thanks Mike,

Forgive my ignorance - but do I 'flash'/copy all the files onto a NEW micro SD card or copy it on to the micro SD card that already has Moode on it?

...Somewhat complicated by the fact that Moode now has a new version out (v2.7 I think)..

BW.

Bonky/Richard.

AlfaGTV
30-08-2016, 05:26
You need to use a help app, Win32 Disk Imager for Windows or Apple Pi Baker for Mac. The file downloaded should be about 700mb in size, unpack it and it should get a file format that ends with .img
Insert either the old SD or a new one (here in Sweden the sweetspot for price/performance is with the 16Gb cards, but 4Gb is the minimum)
Let me just say that if you reuse your old card, all settings and content will be lost but that is usually no biggie?
Now then, start up your disk imaging app, select your freshly dwnloaded .img file as source and point the app to your SD card drive.
"Burn"/"Write" the image and then it will be ready to be inserted into the Audiophonics combo. (S'pose you got the new chassi? On the old one it was a major pita to access the SD slot on the Pi!)
When it starts up later, i'd wager the power button works, and possibly even the display? But, nevertheless, all scripts are already in place ready to adjust if necessary!
GLHF Mike

Bonky
30-08-2016, 07:46
Thanks Mike.
I have a new SD card on order so will wait until it arrives (as I wish to download the new version of Moode).
Do the files from the .img folder (the ones to be flashed to the sd card) overwrite the Moode code on the sd card,... or do they sit side-by-side with the Moode files?

Thanks again.

BW

Richard

struth
30-08-2016, 08:54
they would overwrite it, although I always re format the card using sd card formatter before I write the new one.
I imaged moode 2.7 yesterday evening, so will give it a go soon.

AlfaGTV
30-08-2016, 10:38
...although I always re format the card using sd card formatter before I write the new one.
That wont do no harm, but neither no good! :eyebrows:

Bonky, when you unpack the MoodeAudio.zip it should be extracted into a MoodeAudio.img file.
Depending on what operating system you're on, and what applications have been installed, this .img file should be treated exactly like that, one single file of about 900Mb.

You wrote "the files from the .img folder" in your latest post and that is a bit confusing, as the .img-file is an image of a complete volume/drive/sd-card.
Thats the idea with using the DiskImager or PiBaker to write the complete image onto the SD-card.
(In other words, no files on the card will survive, and you should not need to add any other files when the "imaging" is done)

Please excuse me if im pointing out the obvious here, no offence meant!
Atb Mike

Bonky
30-08-2016, 13:40
they would overwrite it, although I always re format the card using sd card formatter before I write the new one.
I imaged moode 2.7 yesterday evening, so will give it a go soon.
Now I'm getting more confused...sorry... but if the Audiophonics upgrade file is going to replace the Moode file, how do I use v2.7 on the Pi?

(Unless you mean the Moode 2.7 file will replace the v2.6 one if flashed onto the same card -that I can understand).

Mike, thanks; certainly no offence taken; my poor post.
However, am I right that I need Moode v2.7 AND the Audiophonics file on the same SD card?

Apologies; you're all talking to an idiot here!

BW

Richard.

AlfaGTV
30-08-2016, 18:39
However, am I right that I need Moode v2.7 AND the Audiophonics file on the same SD card?

Sorry, but the Audiophonics image will most likely be of version 2.6. I think Tim can help you upgrade moOde later though.

The Audiophonics image we've been discussing is a complete install of moOde 2.6 with the necessary scripts and services for running the power switch and OLED. Its not an upgrade, and it neither a collection of files.
When you have written the image to your new SD card, inserted it into you Pi within the RaspiDAC and it starts up moOde, you will most likely have a working power switch and screen. But, you will have to add paths to your local library and make settings, just as you did when installing/starting up moOde for the first time!

When you have everything up and running to satisfaction, i'd recommend that you shut the Pi down, take the SD card out and use the same application you used for imaging, but this time use it to create an image from your SD card. That way you will have a backup for further experimentation! This image can be written bac to the SD card again and again for "turning back the clock" so to speak.

keep us posted!

Bourneendboy
30-08-2016, 18:48
Please can you help…

I have a Raspberry Pi2 and a new Audiphonics Sabre DAC (I-Sabre V3 DAC ES9023 TCXO )

I had the two working fine with both Moode and Volumio; the problem was that it was all ‘bare-back’ and held in place with elastic bands, so I went for one of these:

http://www.audiophonics.fr/en/diy-dac/audiophonics-raspdac-kit-diy-network-player-for-raspberry-pi-20-dac-p-11137.html

Now the DAC works well; it will play into my hi-fi. However the screen is dead and there is a flashing blue light around the outer edge os the power button (The white light in the middle of the button that I’ve seen in the videos isn’t on).

After a Google trawl, I thought I knew the answer - the DAC needs a minimum of 6v whereas, when it was working fine, the linear PS was giving the Raspberry Pi 5.1v (The DAC got its power from the Pi). The DAC in its new black box has its own PS and this time the Pi gets its power from the DAC). So I tweaked the Linear PS to give 6.2v. But, I still get the same result.

There’s quite an extensive thread on RuneAudio on this and it seems that one needs to re-program the Pi with a load of mumbo-jumbo code which I hadn’t thought was necessary.

I’ve checked and jiggled the wiring but I still have the flashing blue light and no screen. Does anyone know the answer?

Thanks,
Richard.

Richard,

Sorry to go off topic, I'm considering the Audiophonics DAC and have a question regarding the power supply(s). I'm aware the Pi is usually powered by a PSU, but how does it work with the new V3 DAC, doesn't this have a socket also? Do you use 2 PSU's?

Cheers,

Bill.

Bonky
30-08-2016, 22:19
Richard,

Sorry to go off topic, I'm considering the Audiophonics DAC and have a question regarding the power supply(s). I'm aware the Pi is usually powered by a PSU, but how does it work with the new V3 DAC, doesn't this have a socket also? Do you use 2 PSU's?

Cheers,

Bill.

Hi Bill,

Originally I had the Pi(2) connected to the the 5v Pi PS with the Sabre DAC piggy-backed on top. This worked fine.
When I 'upgraded'(?) to the Audiophonics box with power management + screen I followed the instructions and used the PS into the DAC instead (the Pi, this time, receiving its power from the DAC), again, this worked fine except the screen wouldn't work. I read, later, that the PS to the DAC should be 6v rather than 5v, so I increased this but still the screen wouldn't work. (I'm still working on this!).

Hope this helps,

Richard.

AlfaGTV
31-08-2016, 05:17
Bill/Richard, the Audiophonics SabreDAC has got built in power management, which is designed to power both the DAC and Pi. To be effective and perform regulation it should be fed 6-7V of decent quality DC. It will work with 5V most likely though, but cannot perform any smoothing.
The OLED issue is most likely a completely different affair! :)

Bonky
31-08-2016, 07:55
Thanks for all the help and advice so far, however, I still cannot get it to work!

1. My original copy of Moode 2.6 still works OK on a 8gb mini SD card.
2. My new 32Gb card has been reformatted (twice) using SDFormatter and then the MoodeAudio .img file dowloaded from Audiophonics flashed onto it using 'Etcher' on the Mac platform.

Result: The blue light is still flashing, there is no screen, and accessing Moode using moode.local won't work.

I'll contact Audiophonics again.

BW

Bonky

Aligauld
31-08-2016, 10:25
Thanks for all the help and advice so far, however, I still cannot get it to work!

1. My original copy of Moode 2.6 still works OK on a 8gb mini SD card.
2. My new 32Gb card has been reformatted (twice) using SDFormatter and then the MoodeAudio .img file dowloaded from Audiophonics flashed onto it using 'Etcher' on the Mac platform.

Result: The blue light is still flashing, there is no screen, and accessing Moode using moode.local won't work.

I'll contact Audiophonics again.

BW

Bonky

Hi there,
I have always had issues with moode.local but if you try MoOde's ip address directly then it should connect.

Cheers,
Alistair

struth
31-08-2016, 10:31
Sometimes changing the browser works too

Bonky
31-08-2016, 11:01
Update:

I finally got the power button to stop flashing but the screen just scrolls random nonsense.

This is how I did it:
I stopped using my iMac (with Windows10 running under Parallels) and used my Apple Laptop running Windows7 under Parallels.
I used a smaller SD card (16gb), used SD formatter and Win32DiskImager to flash the .img onto the sd card.

So now I need to ask:
1. How do I get the screen to display properly?
2. How do I get this version of Moode from Audiophonics (v2.6) to upgrade to v2.7? (Tim?)

Thanks; I hope my deliberations will help others. All very time-wasting and frustrating!
BW
Bonky.

AlfaGTV
31-08-2016, 12:07
If you look at the wiring picture on this link:
http://forum.audiophonics.fr/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1492
Can you say for sure your wiring is like the one on the right hand, the Audiophonics V3?
Im sorry, but i havent yet had the chance to get the OLED functional on my pals RaspDAC, so im just speculating now!

Bonky
31-08-2016, 12:48
If you look at the wiring picture on this link:
http://forum.audiophonics.fr/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1492
Can you say for sure your wiring is like the one on the right hand, the Audiophonics V3?
Im sorry, but i havent yet had the chance to get the OLED functional on my pals RaspDAC, so im just speculating now!

Hi Mike; thanks again.

Now the screen won't work!

No, my wiring is NOT the same as the one on your link.

It follows the tutorial on the Audiphonics website and looks like this:
http://www.audiophonics.fr/img/cms/h4_5.jpg

Notice the four pins in the middle of the board that are not connected (between the two connectors).

BW

Bonky

richie60
24-09-2016, 19:38
I'm looking into buying the v3 dac, case and their dedicated 6v psu for the pi I already own. Can you tell me if buying any of these items come with screws, cable etc or do they have to be purchased separately?

Bonky
24-09-2016, 22:13
I'm looking into buying the v3 dac, case and their dedicated 6v psu for the pi I already own. Can you tell me if buying any of these items come with screws, cable etc or do they have to be purchased separately?

I believe it all comes complete, but why not email them? I seem be in regular contact with a David Aubert and Sav. They write good English. I am waiting a replacement screen. The power management button now works with RuneAudio..

BW

Richard

richie60
25-09-2016, 06:41
Good idea. Thanks for that.

Rich