PDA

View Full Version : Oppo Mods...coming soon.

Gazjam
23-08-2016, 14:07
:D

Big Bluray watcher as well as use streaming/Netflix etc with the 103, so thinking to take the player a few steps up the ladder, see what can be improved.
Video quality same as 105, but the 105s internal dac is better.

Specifically, Im looking at a new Dac board for my 103?
Currently run the player into my Dac via BNC/Rca silver cable, which improves on the stock Dac.
Looking to see how close to the 105's sound quality I cen get.

Furutech IEC inlet with better silver internal power cabling as well.

Thought about swapping out the internal switch mode psu and fitting a linear?, but Dan over at Modright has been down this road and says its not worth it.
The Oppo is a sealed case, so could be heat related reliability problems and not wanting to drill ventilation holes in the casework!

Pics to come when its arrived and Im installing it.

DarrenHW
23-08-2016, 17:59
:popcorn:

Mine's out of warranty January 2017 so pondering a few mods too.

PaulStewart
23-08-2016, 19:52
Mine has the, Dare I say it Russ Andrews mod package and is pretty amazing…. :lol:

danilo
24-08-2016, 02:19
:popcorn:

Mine's out of warranty January 2017 so pondering a few mods too.
A trip to your Audiologist prior to considering a Mod Adventure,
could be a genuine eye opener.. was for me ;)

Clive197
26-08-2016, 14:49
Why not try contacting Audiocom, they do very good upgrades for most OPPO BluRay players as well as the HD1 headphone/pre amp.

There site is www.audiocomav.co.uk

Gazjam
26-08-2016, 16:24
Why not try contacting Audiocom, they do very good upgrades for most OPPO BluRay players as well as the HD1 headphone/pre amp.

There site is www.audiocomav.co.uk (http://www.audiocomav.co.uk)
Hi Clive,
thanks for the link but can think of Just over one thousand reasons not to....and small change!
Boy those guys are expensive!!

Rather take on the work myself tbh and save a few bob.
Internal linear psu doesnt make a massive difference and I suspect a big chunk of the expense comes from that.

Audiocoms package is no doubt probably better than what I am thinking, but not £1000 better Id suspect!
The stock Oppo is pretty great as is, just an extra nudge in the right direction will do me.

Marco
28-08-2016, 20:41
Excuse my denseness, chaps, but what exactly is this thread about and why is it in Strokes of Genius; the area reserved for reviews of products? :scratch:

Marco.

Gazjam
29-08-2016, 06:37
Excuse my denseness, chaps, but what exactly is this thread about and why is it in Strokes of Genius; the area reserved for reviews of products? :scratch:

Marco.

...or fantastic tweaks free or otherwise? :eyebrows:

Upgrading the internals of my Oppo bluray player Marco, started this thread as a placeholder for when I put up the pics.
Fitting a new dac board and some other gubbins.

Not a free tweak but hopefully fantastic.

Marco
29-08-2016, 09:36
Lol - ok, you're off the hook, then! :eyebrows:

However.... Re-read your first post again, from the position of someone who knows 'hee-haw' about what you're referring to with Bluray players, etc, and ask yourself would it have been clear to them exactly what it was you were going on about?

Now, if you'd said at the beginning: "This is about upgrading the internals of my Oppo bluray player", that's would've been different. Too many references to 'lingo' that only those into the subject would know about, dudekins, for folks to understand who aren't 'au fait' with the subject matter ;)

For example, I've no idea what a "103" is, apart from it being a moving-coil cartridge....

Do you see where I'm coming from? :)

Marco.

Gazjam
29-08-2016, 16:26
Thought my post was fine tbh :)

Marco
29-08-2016, 16:31
Lol - it is "fine", just IMO not very clear as to its content or purpose, probably because I'm not familiar with all the 'AV lingo'.

Also, if you're reviewing a tweak, then it should be a 'done deal' and something you've actually completed, not merely a precursor to something you're going to do... ;)

Anyway, we move on! :)

Marco.

Gazjam
29-08-2016, 16:34
We do.
Glad you got that off your chest. :)