PDA

View Full Version : Ever feelt like you just did money in cold blood..? 'Ed Saunders' Stylus ??

Kanders1
18-08-2016, 13:06
So just been given a V15 III LM complete with a VN35HE Stylus/Needle :eyebrows:. The cartridge looks okay but the cantilever is slightly offset.. seems to play okay but not really had much chance to check it out properly.

Anyway I thought ill be good to myself and buy one of them there Ed Saunders replacements as they were pretty good in the past..:rolleyes: off went the order... BUT now it seem our ED retired.. and "Trish Horn" took over.. Web site looks good and she says its all good in the garden... BUT I now have read that these are now not the real McCoy any more and are generic..?

Anyone got any solid info..? as actual experience of the NEW ED Saunders...

Regards,

possibly 50 bucks down Karl :scratch:

Barry
18-08-2016, 17:16
PM Rogerdoger15 (http://theartofsound.net/forum/member.php?14616-rodgerdodger15). He bought my Shure M75E fitted with an Ed Sanders stylus, so might be able to comment on the quality.

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?40788-For-Sale-Shure-M75E-Mk-II-with-brand-new-unused-Ed-Saunders-stylus

The stylus was bought from Trish Horn, and I believe the stylii are made in Switzerland and hand fitted to the cantilever using a shadowgraph, rather than machine fitted.

Kanders1
18-08-2016, 20:12
Thanks Barry, how long ago..? Did you buy the stylus ?
I'll send a message to him..

The web site does say that they are made as when Ed was running the business but many forums are saying it's not true..
I have sent an email asking the question if they are generic, if I don't get a reply I think I know the answer.. PayPal may have to live up to the "you are covered".

Cheers
Karl

Barry
19-08-2016, 08:24
Probably in September 2015, a month before I advertised the cartridge for sale.

It is quite likely that Ed Saunders sourced the stylii from Switzerland and fitted them himself using a shadowgraph. I wouldn't expect Trish Horn to continue to do the work herself, or even find someone in the US to do it for her. However I would have no qualms in using Swiss stylii, anymore than I would in using Swiss Benz cartidges.

Out of interest, can you you provide links to the fora that question the quality and provenance of recent Saunders replacement stylii please?

Regards
Barry

Andy831
19-08-2016, 08:39
Out of interest, can you you provide links to the fora that question the quality and provenance of recent Saunders replacement stylii please?

Regards
Barry

Yes I recently bought an "Ed Saunders" stylus from Trish Horn for my M55E so would be very interested in reading some of the comments on that forum if its available.

I have not fitted the stylus and am not likely too in the near future as the 301 / 3012 is sort of mid restoration at the moment. Visually the item looks OK though. The M55E was only $30 when the $ was at about 1.60 to the pound (Pre Brexit) so not that expensive a mistake if the reports are true.

Kanders1
19-08-2016, 08:54
Guys,
Here is the link to one of the sites...

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/what-is-the-ed-saunders-white-ame-stanton-881-stylus-really.683377/

I've had no response from the email I sent... questioning the pedigree of the stylus she is now supplying.

DSJR
20-08-2016, 20:31
I'm told that ESCo sell good generic Shure replacements. They may not make them themselves, but they certainly wouldn't be inferior I feel, as there's too big a reputation to uphold. A pal bought a 75-ED replacement from them and found it very good.

Kanders1
22-08-2016, 06:57
Update on the Ed Saunders Stylus/needle, I have received a reply from Trisha..

"These are the same stylus Ed has handed down to me still being made to his specs and he will be glad to answer any questions by email or phone to confirm that for you. People are just upset I think that ed is going to retire but he still has a hand in all that at do at this time and helps me greatly in the business. The stylus are no different than they were 30 years ago".

The fact I got the reply is a good thing, I will await he package and report back :)

danilo
26-08-2016, 00:02
Dunno Mate.
Ed Saunders is Gone .. shame, but it's all over now.
Lotsa reviews on the 'woman' who took over.
Few if any positive.
Haven't shopped there as result.
Many wishing they hadn't dealt there .. period.
But where there is Smoke there is all too often Fire
Only reason to shop there was Ed's bargain priced 'sleepers' .
As those are clearly gone.. what's the point?
Caveat emptor.

Barry
26-08-2016, 13:33
What's with all this 'hand wringing and breast beating'?

If you're worried about the price of the Ed Saunders stylus (£37.5), then check out the alternatives:

Ebay £21 - £38

Stanfield - £33

LKG/Pfanstiehl - £15 (the seller admits it is not as good as an Ed Saunders stylus)

Musonic - £36

Mantra Audio - £24

Turntable Needles - £34

I think you're worrying needlessly.

Kanders1
27-08-2016, 01:06
Barry, not worried about the £37.5 it's the negative attitude toward the new owner, and the question about the quality, I know I can buy a generic stylus for about the same money. Anyway "Trisha" assured me that the quality is as it was before ES retired. As it happens the sure stylus that was in the cartridge (VN35HE) is in good shape just needed a thorough clean...
Cheers

narabdela
27-08-2016, 06:43
But where there is Smoke there is all too often Fire.

Apologies, that statement is lazy and oft repeated, but insidious nonsense nonetheless. :nono:

danilo
27-08-2016, 20:02
Yes it was lazy.. Clearly, I don't do PC either ;)
Nonetheless a bit of Ed Saunders research is / can be illuminating

Kanders1
19-09-2016, 21:33
To all those that are interested...here is some more info on the Ed Saunders "stylus/Needle" for the Shure V15 III Cartridge.

Attache are two pictures, the clear looking stylus is the original VN35HE and the dark monster is the New ED's

Having mounted both there really is no comparison between the two, the sound quality is just not there... the distortion on the higher register is actually painful! :( They were mounted and set up as per instructions... i.e. the Shure booklet and the ED's sticker that says "Min Track 1,5Grams"

clearly the two are different.. I personaly will not be using the 'New Ed Saunders"

Hope this helps those who are tempted to buy...

Cheers
Karl

:scratch:

Floyddroid
24-09-2016, 05:17
Colonel Sanders has gon but they are still frying chicken.
Dunno Mate.
Ed Saunders is Gone .. shame, but it's all over now.
Lotsa reviews on the 'woman' who took over.
Few if any positive.
Haven't shopped there as result.
Many wishing they hadn't dealt there .. period.
But where there is Smoke there is all too often Fire
Only reason to shop there was Ed's bargain priced 'sleepers' .
As those are clearly gone.. what's the point?
Caveat emptor.