PDA

View Full Version : What Makes Miyajima Cartridges Different and Special?

Ammonite Audio
15-08-2016, 10:38
I'm very much a fan of Miyajima's range of cartridges, so I've written this blog post to try and explain what it is that makes them special.

https://ammonite-audio.co.uk/whats-special-about-miyajima-cartridges/

I have the Takumi, Waza and Shilabe stereo cartridges available for home dems; also the Mono Zero B (0.7mil tip). Please get in touch if you'd like to discuss a home dem.

sq225917
16-08-2016, 16:19
It's an interesting design, how do they stop the back of the stylus chattering against the pivot point as it tracks the record?

Ammonite Audio
16-08-2016, 17:41
I'm assuming that the slide bar force is carefully calibrated to ensure that the cantilever assembly is always held firmly by the point of the slide bar, but not so firmly that the suspension rubber won't do its job.

Barry
16-08-2016, 17:57
Link doesn't work for me.

Ammonite Audio
16-08-2016, 18:12
It's fine here, on an iPad.

Barry
16-08-2016, 20:00
No matter, I watched the video on the Miyajima web-site.

Marco
16-08-2016, 21:32
It's fine here, on an iPad.

Fine here, too. Nice article and new website, Hugo! :thumbsup:

Marco.

walpurgis
16-08-2016, 22:29
Interesting. Reduced moving mass presumably. Never a bad thing in input transducers.

Ammonite Audio
17-08-2016, 07:32
No, not reduced moving mass at all; indeed Mr Miyajima seems relatively unconcerned about reduced mass 'innovations' like boron cantilevers and very low mass tips. Rather, Miyajima's design means freedom for the coils to move naturally in the magnetic field, instead of being hindered by a pesky tie wire with its characteristic resonances. Miyajima cartridges do offer a lovely, undistorted insight into music on vinyl - an 'analogue' flavour of things in the most positive sense.

For me, having lived with Miyajima cartridges for a while, there really is nothing to compare. My previous favourite NOS Ortofon Kontrapunkt B is good in many ways, but compared to the entry level Miyajima Takumi stereo, is like listening to CD. Although I have never owned any SPUs, I am informed that the Miyajimas share the SPUs' characteristic musical insight.