PDA

View Full Version : Raspberry Pi and SSD drives

The Black Adder
13-08-2016, 16:56
Hi all.

I'm sure someone here is using an SSD drive with their PI. What I want to know is are the SSD drives ok without an external PSU? or would I still need a PSU? :scratch:

Thanks
Jo :)

danilo
14-08-2016, 01:52
I have a couple of SSD drives in My 'puter.
Both my drives have power feed plugs/require Power.
That said one can easily buy ~120 gb flash drives for Cheap (ish) Shops even stock 250gb ones , not so cheap though (today)
Being USB gizmos these don't require a dedicated /additional power supply

mr sneff
14-08-2016, 05:54
That's what I use with my Pi, 2 250Gb USB memory sticks. Works well, no problems.

The Black Adder
14-08-2016, 10:49
ah... ok, thanks.

So, just wondering here.. are they easier for the pi to power than a conventional HDD?

mr sneff
14-08-2016, 12:05
Definitely, I've only managed to get an independently powered HDD to work, couldn't get a USB powered HDD to work.

Simon_LDT
14-08-2016, 15:42
I use a 500gb SSD with my Pi. I've ran it from the Pi fine but I decided to run it through the Pi USB hub just to be sure there are no power issues. My external enclosure has a 5 DC in too so can power it from that also.

struth
14-08-2016, 15:50
Definitely, I've only managed to get an independently powered HDD to work, couldn't get a USB powered HDD to work.

A pi hub would run it fine... I am going into ssd territory with one of my laptops, going to fit an internal hybrid. If its successful i may move to externals too

I like simon,s idea of running an ssd off a hub anyways. Keep it clean and the less work the pi has to do the better

bumpy
14-08-2016, 16:58
Keep it clean and the less work the pi has to do the better

Power supplies are the key to good audio, so you should not mess up the Pi by asking it to supply power to any other device if it can be avoided.

The Black Adder
14-08-2016, 17:33
Cool.. that sounds like a plan.

Many thanks guys. :)

danilo
14-08-2016, 22:17
Ram chips typically run at 1.5 v. unless into overspeeding them :-).
Likely SSD and Flash drives also do so...given they are essentially repackaged RAM chips
Just How many GB's does one actually need? Even 128 gb is a helluvalot of Files.
Likely more than one would prudently trust to One (inevitably Failure prone) storage gizmo :eyebrows:

The Black Adder
15-08-2016, 11:02
Lot's... I have nearly 1TB of tunes up to now and I doubt I'm not the only one here. Plenty have 3x 4x more than me. lol

struth
15-08-2016, 11:16
Thats a lot. Ive only got about 165 gig i think ripped to flac. I dare say i could cull it to 120, but if i get one then 240 gb or 2 120 s seems likelyest and keep my back ups on hdd. After saying that, the big my book i use is pretty good, and does fine.
Price is coming down though, and hybrid drives are excellent price.

The Black Adder
15-08-2016, 12:07
the plan is to build up drives. So I'd be looking for a 500gb drive to start, then eventually use a NAS box.

Anyone know of any offers for 500gb SSD or Hybrid?

struth
15-08-2016, 12:50
Look on the computer thread Jo. I got a 500 internal hybrid for 20 quid. Can be put in enclosure and used externally i think. Its new but needs formatted.. Seagate... New ones were 40/50 last noghts posts mate

danilo
15-08-2016, 15:40
Wow that is a lot of Files. Wouldn't have thought there were so many TBH.
I have ~400 Gb of Architectural Plans cluttering up a dedicated hd.
That's Hundreds of multi page plan sets in pdf form. A foolish hoard.
In truth I have No genuine reason/need for keeping those drawings. Likely because it's easy to do... and I'm a packrat.

Storage is on a WD "Black" Mechanical HD though.. Other 'brands' have proven of lesser ;) reliability.. in My unhappy experiences.
Intel SSD's are the prime (only?) choice IF reliability/life are paramount. Their failure rates are Much lower than others.

Was only opining that Storage Media is Not overly reliable, certainly so in the long term, 10 years is an Eon for storage devices
Likely why God gave us raid arrays.. and belt and braces multiple backups.