PDA

View Full Version : Cheap 24Bit /96kHz DAC

Rare Bird
26-11-2009, 11:10
Just ordered one of these..Guess what it looks quality aswell.

;)

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a222/LIVING-SIN/back-1.jpg

Tripmaster
26-11-2009, 11:44
Hi Andre

Where did you order it from?

Richard

Rare Bird
26-11-2009, 11:54
Hi Richard
Has a Tube output stage & defeatable volume control

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Maverick-Audio-Headphone-Amplifier-DAC-Tube-PreAmp_W0QQitemZ330380926642QQcmdZViewItemQQptZOth er_MP3_Player_Accessories?hash=item4cec3cdeb2

Themis
26-11-2009, 12:00
I guess you got this only for headphone use ?
I'll wait for your impressions Andre. ;)

Rare Bird
26-11-2009, 12:04
Yes for headphone mainly..I want to hear my FLAC's in 24 Bit/96kHz aswell.... I would like to hear the Micromega through this as i find the DAC in that player rather like the Benchmark, being USB that great for streaming from the laptop..

Rare Bird
26-11-2009, 12:26
I don't know what chip set it uses but look at these two. Look at the simularity.. The tubes a '6N3' replaceable with '5670'

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a222/LIVING-SIN/Maverick.jpg

(Maverick)

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a222/LIVING-SIN/Xian.jpg

(Xiang Sheng DAC-01)

DSJR
26-11-2009, 12:43
I do hope the valves don't screw it up. if you choose decent alternatives, you may even enhance the basic performance...

Andre, if you found the Micromega too clinical or straight-laced, I'd suggest it could be the remastered analogue material (that wasn't properly listened to when digitising) you seem to play mostly, and possibly a hash-less interconnect like the better Mark Grant offering. Fodder for another thread methinks.

Good luck with this DAC and please keep us posted, especially if you can get a Caiman to compare it with ;)

Alex_UK
26-11-2009, 13:59
Not sure if it is allowed to post a link to another forum? Anyway, I will! - looks like they are one and the same company - see post #3 in this:

http://forums.vr-zone.com/audiophiles-htpc-corner/499785-lobang-info-another-forum-maverick-audio-dac-w-tube-preamp.html

Rare Bird
26-11-2009, 14:23
I do hope the valves don't screw it up. if you choose decent alternatives, you may even enhance the basic performance...

Andre, if you found the Micromega too clinical or straight-laced, I'd suggest it could be the remastered analogue material (that wasn't properly listened to when digitising) you seem to play mostly, and possibly a hash-less interconnect like the better Mark Grant offering. Fodder for another thread methinks.

btw:The valve doesnt work through the headphone out!

I've tried a few interconnects Dave which all have different properties Nordost, Chord, Kimber. The Kimber is best with the player, don't get me wrong the player sound terrific & very detailed.But i'm used to the sound of my old Sony machine but don't wanna go back to Sony if you know what i mean. I won't be listerning to CD through the phones anyway, infact i don't know what i'm babbling on about as FLAC is my primary source now & has been for some time.

Anyway, first shipping for the unit is 6th Dec,takes less than a week to get here so we'll see then.At the price it costs it's worth a try.

Re: the Caiman, nop told Stan before his asthetics are horrible.

DSJR
26-11-2009, 18:37
Kimber cables are supposed to nullify or severely attenuate RF travelling along them. As so many of these CD players are sensitive to and transmit RF and ultra-sonic mush into the interconnects and mains, this may just be the main reason why the Kimbers work so well. The thing about genuinely good interconnects is that they are very "clean" at very very high frequencies and this seems to benefit the audio range too, as the amp isn't given a smeared and dirty ultra-sonic and RF signal...

I rather like the cleanliness of the Caiman.. Hmmmmmmm.....

Good luck with your purchase in any case and PLEASE try the valve driven line out with your system..

Themis
27-11-2009, 11:03
And a Yulong ? : http://cgi.ebay.fr/YULONG-DAC-MARK-HEADPHONE-AMPLIFIER-USB_W0QQitemZ360112999668QQihZ023QQcategoryZ92235Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
(it has a remote)
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a345/casque_hifi/AMPLI%20HEADPHONE/DAH1%20MARK/azd6ar2l.jpg

Alex_UK
27-11-2009, 13:33
And a Yulong ?

As in Yulong for a cheap DAC, and then 3 come along at once? :lol:

Primalsea
27-11-2009, 23:47
No I think its supposed to be " love Yulong Time, hundred dollar"

Themis
04-12-2009, 17:43

;)

Has it arrived ? Any impressions ?

I'm interested to know on which outputs (dac, variable, headphone) the tube is active. ;)

Rare Bird
05-12-2009, 01:15
Has it arrived ? Any impressions ?

I'm interested to know on which outputs (dac, variable, headphone) the tube is active. ;)

Hi Dimitri

The seller listed the item as first dispatch on 7th Dec, but he mailed me two days ago saying they are in early & mine has been shipped..I'm apparently the first in the UK!!

I think the tube only works on pre-out, it doesnt work on headset out..

theone999
05-12-2009, 01:44
OP, so what was the price for your cheap DAC?

Rare Bird
05-12-2009, 01:47
OP, so what was the price for your cheap DAC?

Hi
At 126 earth punds & free shipping how can you not give it a go

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330380009103&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Marco
05-12-2009, 16:04
That looks nice, Andre... Are you going to use that with the Helios? :)

Marco.

Cubeman
05-12-2009, 16:55
Must say it looks mighty interesting!
If I hadn't bought a TC-7520 this would be something to have a look at:)

Please keep us updated on how it stacks up to the other "cheap" DAC's available!

Martijn

Primalsea
05-12-2009, 17:26
I'm always surprised how well laid out these cheap DACs are. They're also made quite well too. I believe that if the circuits are laid out well and the power supply rails are clean and routed well away from any digital lines you deal with problems such as jitter before they start. I would love to hear how well these compare to higher end dacs such as a DAC64 and Benchmark etc (Including Stan's DAC of course).

Rare Bird
05-12-2009, 18:46
That looks nice, Andre... Are you going to use that with the Helios? :)

Marco.

Hi Marco

I actually planned it to use as an headphone amp to listern to files..I could try it with the Helios & micromega i suppose.

Themis
05-12-2009, 18:54
For people liking dacs with discrete output stage, you've got the GD-Audio (19MK3 et al) beauties.

I actually planned it to use as an headphone amp to listern to files..I could try it with the Helios & micromega i suppose.
I can't wait for a mini-review. ;)

Rare Bird
05-12-2009, 18:56
For people liking dacs with discrete output stage, you've got the GD-Audio (19MK3 et al) beauties.

I can't wait for a mini-review. ;)

I might just get these FLAC files downloaded by then :lolsign:

Themis
05-12-2009, 18:59
Lol, sorry Andre... my upload speed (download for you, that is) is rather low... 70kb/s.
It goes faster the other way round. ;)

Rare Bird
05-12-2009, 19:00
Lol, sorry Andre... my upload speed (download for you, that is) is rather low... 70kb/s.
It goes faster the other way round. ;)

Don't worry i appreciate this.

Thanks...When i get my head around it i'll do you some the other way around ;)

Rare Bird
08-12-2009, 17:57
Well both arrived at the same time today..These are my new perving machines :eyebrows: , i can perv away to my hearts content in 24bit/96kHz FLAC's

I'll give em a bash when i get chance..
.................................................. .
Ahhhhhhhhhhh camera flash attack..

Why do flash highlight marks that arnt there? :scratch:

Alex_UK
08-12-2009, 18:18
Very nice, look forward to hearing how you get on with them both!

Themis
12-12-2009, 11:33
Well both arrived at the same time today..These are my new perving machines :eyebrows: , i can perv away to my hearts content in 24bit/96kHz FLAC's

I'll give em a bash when i get chance..
.................................................. .
Ahhhhhhhhhhh camera flash attack..

Why do flash highlight marks that arnt there? :scratch:
So ? Any impressions ? (instead of talking about signs...:lol:)

Rare Bird
12-12-2009, 11:56
I put it back in the box after i checked it for damage been there ever since..No even plugged the Helios in yet :lol:

:rofl:

Honestly that's how bothered i am about hifi..I gett around to it..

Themis
12-12-2009, 12:11
Send it to me, I'll test it for you... :lol:

Rare Bird
12-12-2009, 17:36
Send it to me, I'll test it for you... :lol:

:lolsign:

Well just been playing with the Helios, that is too daunting for me,too much pissing about.. i'm gonna sell that on for starters.

Rare Bird
01-01-2010, 08:27

;)

Been giving this a real good hammering over Christmas via headphone output, this sounds brilliant to me,believe me the majority of headphone amps available today are crap, it's rare to get a good one, this is superb & i hope Maverick go along way, most Chinese products are unreliable rubbish, this is exception.Seems to be a lot buying em now..One wish from Maverick would be next batch of facias to be made, anodise the black in Matt instead of the somewhat shiney finish, because of this i can't put it with my stereo.You can see from the picture it looks patchy because of the shine..

Primalsea
01-01-2010, 09:22
The Helios looks like a pile of crap IMO and not a great way of spending your money. By the time you buy it you might as well by a Media PC which will do everything a Helios will do and a lot more. It wont stream music from other PCs quite as well unless you get some software to do it but you can store all your music ripped to its hard drive anyway. Have a look here for some nice looking PC's that dont look out of place on a hifi rack.

http://www.rescomputers.co.uk

Themis
01-01-2010, 09:24
Been giving this a real good hammering over Christmas via headphone output, this sounds brilliant to me,believe me the majority of headphone amps available today are crap, it's rare to get a good one, this is superb & i hope Maverick go along way, most Chinese products are unreliable rubbish, this is exception.Seems to be a lot buying em now..One wish from Maverick would be next batch of facias to be made, anodise the black in Matt instead of the somewhat shiney finish, because of this i can't put it with my stereo.You can see from the picture it looks patchy because of the shine..
Finally, the tube is active through headphone output ? :scratch:

Rare Bird
01-01-2010, 11:10
Finally, the tube is active through headphone output ? :scratch:

No Theres two pre amp outputs around the back, one pair is Tube out & other S/S out your choice. When using the headphone out it's s/s only not tube..

Rare Bird
01-01-2010, 11:20
The Helios looks like a pile of crap IMO and not a great way of spending your money. By the time you buy it you might as well by a Media PC which will do everything a Helios will do and a lot more. It wont stream music from other PCs quite as well unless you get some software to do it but you can store all your music ripped to its hard drive anyway. Have a look here for some nice looking PC's that dont look out of place on a hifi rack.

http://www.rescomputers.co.uk

I've sold the Helios on as it wasnt what i wanted anyway apart from the set up being right over my head.

I actually bought a bare bones shuttle for the stereo as it was claimed to be so many dB quieter than a standard Desktop, like hell it is it's noiser, so i don't use that, i then went for a standard laptop but i could hear it working so that went out the window, i'm now using a Asus Notebook being totally silent, only thing is it's too small..As the helios wont allow me to use media monkey that didnt work for me.

I am still in two mind to go for the Sonus system..I don't have a Earthnet connection near the stereo, if i had one of those, things would be a lot easier, i'm not gonna fit one in the wall now i've decorated.Think i'm not 100%convinced wi-fi is fast enough.

It's hard for me as i know full well whats best & know what i want but technology stumps me a bit, i'm an old fashion bloke lost in a modern world

Primalsea
01-01-2010, 12:07
Hi Andre,

have a look on this page and the following of my system. The Fujitsu Scaleo E is very quiet, it was designed to be. I have a 1TB drive inside with all the music stored as uncompressed WAV files. It runs Windows 7 with Media Centre so I can use the remote and the built in front screen which gives limited info on what's playing.

The wifi card allows me to transfer music from my other PC into the shared music folder and it can also connect to Last FM and Spotify.

I didnt bother but you can have up to 2 TV cards and a radio tuner and connect it up to your TV. It also has 7.1 decoder built into it! Its also a DVD player and you can set it up as a Tivo type thingy and record TV & freeview as well as watch at the same time if you have both the TV cards installed, I just use mine for music though.

This isnt to try to convince you to buy one just to show you what can be done.

Themis
01-01-2010, 13:40
I am still in two mind to go for the Sonus system..I don't have a Earthnet connection near the stereo, if i had one of those, things would be a lot easier, i'm not gonna fit one in the wall now i've decorated.Think i'm not 100%convinced wi-fi is fast enough.

It's hard for me as i know full well whats best & know what i want but technology stumps me a bit, i'm an old fashion bloke lost in a modern world
I can bring you one answer:
- Wifi has more than enough bandwidth for at least 4-5 simultaneous players. You just need a 802.11g MIMO router.