PDA

View Full Version : Volumio 2

struth
06-08-2016, 10:53
I see its out! Downloaded and installed, and just letting it set up....seems to be automatic at moment. Its still adding music at moment, but anyone tried it yet?

struth
06-08-2016, 11:05
Seems reasonably painless to set up. Didnt have my dac there (audiophonics) so picked hiberry. Seems to work now. Bit of an ommission not to mention it by name id have thought.
Not worked out all controls yet.

A pic of the display

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160806/06979a74ad49ca6d1b93fe73a66797e8.png

guyhayton
06-08-2016, 11:36
I've just downloaded and installed on my spare Raspberry PI2.
Impressed with it, very polished. I have been using RuneAudio up to now as I preferred the interface and it's great that Volumio2 looks almost exactly the same!

It has played some WebRadio through the USB DAC and all was as normal. So currently left it indexing my NAS box with 2TB of ALAC music - that might take a while <lol>

Thanks for the prompt Grant, looks like this will be making it onto my main listening system (IQAudio+ DAC) this afternoon.

struth
06-08-2016, 11:55
Mine corrupted it seems. Did a restart and it never came back. Old volumio problem. Im rewriting it and give it another go. Didnt get very far to rate it sound wise although what i heard was promising. If its gonna break a lot like of old then its gonna get heaved rapidly lol

guyhayton
06-08-2016, 12:05
Been stable for me... although I did do what I normally when upgrading, I removed all the previous partitions from the microSD cards before reimaging. I've got used to using diskpart on Windows 7 now. It's probably an unnecessary step but I find it creates a more stable experience for me (possibly just placebo effect though)

Tell you what though, it's currently very slow at indexing my music collection. It's been running for an hour and still only indexed 335 albums - 4,321 to go

struth
06-08-2016, 12:09
Volumio 2. Number 2. Lol.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160806/f66bf4989844a9ec77e8cba7ae75d564.png

struth
06-08-2016, 12:15
Its not as quick as moode but did my meagre 1600 tracks in about 4 mins from usb drive self powered. Thought i had more on it tbh.
Sound seems quite good, so if it stays stable i will give it an extended run

struth
06-08-2016, 12:37
Ive used discpart before but not on a sd card. I use an sd card formatter before i install everytime. Dont remember corrupting moode, but volumio was always doing it and initially why i changed. I liked moode a lot so vol 2 has a lot to live up to.
Seems like a decent program so far.

cyclopse
06-08-2016, 20:31
Still running Volumio 1.55. Downloaded Volumio 2 but could never get into the web interface. :steam:

Of the three Volumio, Rune and Moode I find Volumio runs best in my configuration.

struth
06-08-2016, 20:37
Still running Volumio 1.55. Downloaded Volumio 2 but could never get into the web interface. :steam:

Of the three Volumio, Rune and Moode I find Volumio runs best in my configuration.

My second one is so far still ok. only thing is there is no way to add tracks from my PC wirelessly. Having been used to moode where it works, then this may be an annoyance. I quite like the interface so far, but its not a lot different to moode overall.

struth
07-08-2016, 09:33
Day 2... Switch on and all tabs an titles have common written in front of say the browser tab or play tab etc... Half my music is not showing. Obviously not by any means the finished article. Add to the fact mine broke lasr time very quickly it looks like this is corrupting again.
Have to say i quite liked the interface, although picture backgrounds have also now disappeared and i just have the grey button left, so in now cannot be changed.. It also sounds pretty good, although no sampling changes are allowed.

All in would say, not in Moodes class overall, although if they can sort out the obvious problems it could be a winner. Currently its just a weiner

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160807/30fdfd4a8e9e1a8c2ade3597528c7fef.png

Compare this pic and writing to earlier ones

r100
07-08-2016, 10:47
same experience here... common.tab's suddenly and not indexing all music. I also had to install it twice to get the interface working ... it's running on my elderly backup Pi. I still think Moode is much more stable. Still feels a bit "beta".. but promising.

Canetoad
07-08-2016, 12:02
I can't get mine to display the album art on my files. All I get is a collage of multiple album covers displaying. Other problems are when moving through a playlist using my tablet it keeps highlighting songs and moving them around in the list instead of just letting me scroll through them. Playlists are in a different format to Volumio 1.5 and Modde so existing lists don't work with Volumio 2. It has a long way to go in my opinion.

Simon_LDT
07-08-2016, 15:55
Haven't tried the new version yet but have been very happy with the version I have (not sure which but it's the one before 2). No crashing or any issues at all. Powers off properly too so haven't had any SD card corruption or anything like that.

struth
07-08-2016, 16:19
Well my trial is over. Moode reinstalled. I had tracks within albums in wrong order etc as well. Album art was there on ones i tried.
Certainly no real competition to moode as is, and if it has taken them this long to get to wherethis is, i am not holding my breath for a fixed version

cyclopse
17-10-2016, 20:29
This player has been advancing and is now out of beta with version 2.001 available to download.

Unfortunately I cannot get it to connect to my NFS server. Everything else appears to be working.

I get distorted sound over Airplay with Moode, same with Rune so its back to Volumio 1.55 the only version that does everything according to my needs.

Dunluce978
17-10-2016, 23:33
My primary computer is a Mac and until recently I had not found a reliable app to flash images to the SD cards. Last week I found a really nice App called Etcher which is super reliable and pretty fool proof. Just wanted to pass on the link in case anyone has a Mac and is looking for a good Flashing app.

https://github.com/resin-io/etcher

Bonky
18-10-2016, 22:48
My primary computer is a Mac and until recently I had not found a reliable app to flash images to the SD cards. Last week I found a really nice App called Etcher which is super reliable and pretty fool proof. Just wanted to pass on the link in case anyone has a Mac and is looking for a good Flashing app.

I wholeheartedly agree!

Rtj

Kit1cat
19-10-2016, 08:46
Etcher is also available for the PC, been using it for a while.

https://www.etcher.io/

jonners
19-10-2016, 09:21

Etcher requires OS X 10.9 or later, and I'm not there yet so I've used this: http://www.tweaking4all.com/software/macosx-software/macosx-apple-pi-baker/

John

spm
23-10-2016, 10:26
I downloaded the latest version of Volumio yesterday evening having decided to try the pi for streaming as the other streaming gadgets I have tried wouldn't give me gapless playback so had been using a laptop. It was a bit fussy with picking up external drives, I had to rescan a few times. Also when it found my qnap NAS it woudn't mount for a couple of goes so I rebooted the pi and then it mounted fine. Took maybe 45 mins to index 1000 or so albums at over 1000 hours music. So far so good. Only picked Volumio as I found a good idiot's guide which I needed. I have everything wired through homeplugs so not relying on wireless, except for my phone to control it.

struth
23-10-2016, 10:29
Although ive got volumios latest on a card ive yet to try it. The beta, that i was unaware was a beta, was hopeless. Let us know how it goes Sean. I might give it another whirl. Happy enough with moode 2.7 though.

cyclopse
19-11-2016, 20:56
Volumio 2.030 just released.

First version of Volumio 2 for me where everything is working as it should.

Thanks Michel Angelo.

Aligauld
21-11-2016, 10:57
Tried the latest version last night. Purely for the Spotify plugin but scanning, updating and then rescanning the NAS was missing a lot of albums, about 40 % of the music.
Back to MoOde and don't think i'll be changing again.

Cheers,
Alistair

cyclopse
13-01-2017, 20:19
Been doing some more tests of Volumio 2 recently. I am coming to the conclusion that it sounds a little muffled in absolute terms. Switching over to Rune 0.4 Beta give a much more open, clear and dynamic presentation.

struth
13-01-2017, 20:23
Indeed, I found it a bit iffy and sound was nothing to get excited about. think Moode 3.1 is better sounding and much more stable/easy to use.