PDA

View Full Version : Gyrodec arm set up wow factor at last !

OD1
03-08-2016, 11:08
Late last year I purchased an Origin Live Encounter MK3C tonearm, & set it up on my Gyrodec with my DV20xl2 following the instruction manual & using the supplied protractor. I was not 100% happy with the resulting sound, as I could not hear the expansive soundstaging & air & space that I had read about in forums & reviews :(

Last week I came across the avid-high-precision-mirrored-alignment-gauge-for-rega-arms in AoS, which appeared simple to use & accurate, so took a punt & purchased one.

Yesterday I realigned my cartridge with the new protractor, set the VTF & listened to a couple of tracks. The sound was a bit better but still below my expectations, so double checked the setup, still spot on to my eyes, & thought "what could possibly still be wrong" :scratch:

I then asked my daughter (who thinks I am a nerd when it comes to my hi fi ) to check my settings, which were ok to her superior eye sight, mmmmmmm then it hit me !!!

While I had my daughter's assistance, I thought let's check the VTA with me holding the OL protractor parallel to the arm, with my daughter checking if the top of the armtube was level. She checked & said that the rear of the arm was down about 3mm which was a surprise to me as I had done this check many times before, so reluctantly I raised the arm, put on my old crackly Bob Marley Rastaman Vibration LP, sat in the sweetspot and .........

F### my old boots ! Bob was in the room dead centre, with backing singers slightly behind & to the side of him, I could hear the tone of the bass guitar, everything just seemed to snap into focus, even my daughter was impressed :D

I was so chuffed, I poured myself a large rum, and listened to my "NEW" record collection until 01:00 without a Cigar break :eyebrows:

Must go and apologise to my neighbours, and let them know it WILL happen again tonight :)

At last I get what you guys have been saying about vinyl, just a pity I took so long to get the setup right !

RobbieGong
03-08-2016, 11:24
and a cracking Marley album that is too Oliver :)

OD1
03-08-2016, 11:45
and a cracking Marley album that is too Oliver :)

lol, I will need to get it properly cleaned to hear it at it's best

RobbieGong
03-08-2016, 11:57
lol, I will need to get it properly cleaned to hear it at it's best

Sounds like in your case it's crackling rather than cracking at the mo' :D

OD1
03-08-2016, 12:36
:lol:

The Chronicals
03-08-2016, 15:23
Thankgod you don't live next door to me otherwise I would of cut your electricity line.

But glad you got it setup - it brings a big ol' smile to the face when you get the spot right :)

OD1
03-08-2016, 16:04
Thankgod you don't live next door to me otherwise I would of cut your electricity line.

But glad you got it setup - it brings a big ol' smile to the face when you get the spot right :)

lol -Just spoke to them, they didn't hear a thing, they went to bed at 10 & I don't play loud (tend to stick below peaks of 90db at 2 metres).

You are correct about the smile on my face, haven't smiled so much since I caught a 46lb Wahoo in Barbados :D