PDA

View Full Version : Have any Mac users here tried PLEX media centre software?

twelvebears
25-11-2009, 08:36
If they haven't, I can highly recommended it as a great way to enjoy your digital movies via a Mac and home theatre set-up.

Best of all, the PLEX software is free!

lovejoy
26-11-2009, 10:12
Seconded, Plex is fantastic. If you have a large movie collection then it has the best interface for organising them I've ever seen. All you need is to have a directory with all of your files in - and it will play any format you throw at it: AVI, WMV, MP4, MKV, M2TS (BluRay files) - have the year in brackets after the name of the film (just in case there is more than one film with the same name) and it will happily go off and automatically download synopsis and artwork for every film and present it in a very nice interface.

There are also loads of plugins for it, for streaming video from the likes of YouTube, BBCiPlayer, 4od and loads of others, streaming radio stations, plus other useful little apps.

I'm running it on a 2007 Mac Mini - something which always had trouble playing HD content, but Plex not only plays HD content with no problems whatsoever, it will upscale your SD content so that looks rather good too.

Plex is a splinter project of XBMC (X-box media centre) but to me seems a lot more responsive and stable than XBMC.

If you watch and store films on your Mac then you really have to give Plex a go.

Beechwoods
27-11-2009, 06:21
Plex is a splinter project of XBMC (X-box media centre) but to me seems a lot more responsive and stable than XBMC.

I heard that some folks were working on a port of XBMC - it sounds like they've done a good job! I'll definitely be having a look at it.

gramofone
29-01-2011, 15:35
Seconded, Plex is fantastic. If you have a large movie collection then it has the best interface for organising them I've ever seen. All you need is to have a directory with all of your files in - and it will play any format you throw at it: AVI, WMV, MP4, MKV, M2TS (BluRay files) - have the year in brackets after the name of the film (just in case there is more than one film with the same name) and it will happily go off and automatically download synopsis and artwork for every film and present it in a very nice interface.

There are also loads of plugins for it, for streaming video from the likes of YouTube, BBCiPlayer, 4od and loads of others, streaming radio stations, plus other useful little apps.

I'm running it on a 2007 Mac Mini - something which always had trouble playing HD content, but Plex not only plays HD content with no problems whatsoever, it will upscale your SD content so that looks rather good too.

If you watch and store films on your Mac then you really have to give Plex a go.

Hi

Has anyone downloaded the latest release of Plex (not an improvement on what was there before IMO) ...

Whereas before I was able to play music from Music folder, which contained hi-res FLAC files, NOW I can get the bloody thing to play from iTunes, so I have lost any hi-res capability.:steam:

If anyone is using the current version and knows how to add music folders to the search path, would they be so kind as to put me out of my misery.