PDA

View Full Version : A first post from the Welsh Borderlands

Infinitely Baffled
30-07-2016, 06:07
A warm hello to all! This is my introductory post on AoS, though I have been following a few of the threads for a while now (phew! the Brexit thread - that was something wasn't it? or maybe you all want to put that behind you). Anyway, it looks like a lively and friendly place, so here goes ...

I'm Gary, a little bit into my 60s, and have enjoyed faffing around with hi-fi since I put my first very low-cost system together at college in the early 70s - Connoisseur BD1 turntable, Acos Lustre arm, Ortofon VMS20E cartridge - I remember it well! Playing through a second hand JVC amplifier and some shop-soiled clearance sale Leak loudspeakers from Comet. It was all so simple then! My first LP was "Five Bridges" by the Nice, which marks me out as a pretention twerp, I know. Probably true. I have an unbroken track record of loyalty to vinyl since then - a tuner and eventually a CD player were added, but there was never a time I was without a turntable. No born-again vinylisto here!

For the first twenty-odd years my hi-fi equipment buying habits were strictly mainstream SS. Then came divorce (nothing to do with that, I don't think) and, you know, you have a place to yourself, more time and the opportunity to indulge your hi-fi curiosity. I started to get interested in some of the more arcane and hidden hi-fi pathways. It started with some horn loaded speakers (Lowther Acoustas), an old Leak valve amplifier, a separate phono stage (gasp!), progressed through some gorgeous Quad electrostatics, a kit-built SET amplifier and along a path which has generally led me towards lower and lower powered systems with more and more sensitive loudspeakers. To where I am now, with a Garrard vinyl front end with Audio Note amplfication and loudspeakers. Digital is from Naim and I use a monster Japanese tuner from Sansui for radio listening. I no longer have the "Nice" album but still have quite a bit of sixties and seventies blues/rock and other stuff from Pentangle to King Crimson. Main listening these days is classical - particularly early music and small-ensemble stuff (I find it hard to get into large-scale symphonic) and jazz - from be-bop through funk, fusion to thoroughly modern "chamber jazz". Lovely!

Sad to say, though, I am going through a bit of vinyl hell at the moment. My own fault, really. I changed too many components at once, I have lost the sound I like somewhere on the upgrade path, and I'm currently wallowing around a bit in used cartridges and phono stages wondering how to get it back. Very instructive, I suppose, but frustrating! Not to worry - I'll get there!

So if you see my posts asking dumb and forlorn questions, do take pity. I'm just a lost soul trying to find my way back. Looking forward to getting to know you all. Cheers. Gary.

jollyfix
30-07-2016, 07:00
Hi Gary, welcome to AOS. Great first post and user name ( infinitely baffled). Enjoy the forum.

struth
30-07-2016, 08:51
Hi Gary.Welcome to AoS. Good intro. Sure you wont live up to your title... Enjoy:)

walpurgis
30-07-2016, 09:37
Hello Gary. Welcome to AOS.

Your first Hi-Fi doesn't sound much different to what many of us were using back then. I had the BD1 at least (several of them), still got one.

Tell us what your current speakers are and what plans you may have for your system. I'm sure members can give you opinions on cartridges and phono stages. Just start a thread in the Analogue Arts section and outline your ideas. I'm sure you'll get suggestions.

Enjoy the forum,
Geoff.

Simon_LDT
02-08-2016, 10:01
Nice to see you on here Gary. :)

Barry
03-08-2016, 01:34
Welcome to AoS Gary,

We seem to be of a similar age, have had a similar start in hi fi and similar tastes in music (I still have my copy of 'Five Bridges' :lol:).

If you can give us an idea of the "sound you like", then we might be able to help. Or alternatively, list the cartridges/phonostages you have tried, which obviously haven't done it for you. By the way what arm are you using with your Garrard? That might have a bearing on your choice of cartridge.

Hope we can help you become less than "infinitely baffled".

Barry