PDA

View Full Version : Japanese vinyl prices... increasing?

The Black Adder
27-07-2016, 20:25
Hi all.

Has anyone notices the prices of japanese vinyl (with OBI's) have shot up recently?

I've been looking for a few LP's and can't believe the prices of them especially if the (magical) OBI is present.

Jo

struth
27-07-2016, 20:35
Havent noticed Jo, but I have few obi discs and they were dear originally, then went to point you couldnt get money for them.. Maybe coming back to nearer their old values...

daytona600
28-07-2016, 07:13
Strange as Japanese buyers want the UK & USA pressings not the Japanese versions
couple of 2nd hand dealers i know getting regular visits from japanese buyers & they buy entire collections
& visit UK record fairs

The Black Adder
28-07-2016, 11:18
It is strange. Personally I really like the Jap pressings in how they sound. In some cases much better than UK pressings. It must be the existence of the OBI strips that are pushing the prices up. They were made to be discarded I suppose.

I tend to agree, Grant. Maybe it's the new 'thing'. I do like to have them complete and I too have some with OBI's which seem to be quite scarce, crazy prices.

Even the some CD's with OBI's are crazy prices too!

Barry
29-07-2016, 01:26
As far as I'm concerned the 'obi' bands are just a marketing gimmick and quite frankly a nusance. I have a few - in my opinion the Japanese music lover can be quite fanatical about his gear and thus expects and demands his records to be similarly well made: flat, using high quality vinyl and quiet. European pressings are variable. I don't know about US pressings; I haven't bought one in a long time.

The Black Adder
30-07-2016, 09:13
Well, yes... they are a gimmiky thing. Unfortunately they have turned in to a 'grail' for the collectors, especially the early ones. I do like to have them but wouldn't pay 50% more for it.

struth
30-07-2016, 09:45
Think all my Japan discs and cds have obi's ... I like to leave them on as its part of the main packaging. Pretty too imho. Think originally they were often to be advertising for their other products, to be thrown away, but it grew into an arty form

Spectral Morn
30-07-2016, 11:11
I have binned Obi's as they are a pain in the ass, pull the CD out of its position on the shelf and it rips or prevents the CD/being put back as the Obi catches, same with LPs.

I personally like Japanese pressings, art work etc, nearly always better than UK, European or US releases, but they have mostly been dearer that other releases.