couple of Dacs on the 'bay atm?

Rare Bird
24-11-2009, 11:34
Ant Theta players mostly Pioneers ?

KimKod
24-11-2009, 12:12
couple of Dacs on the 'bay atm?

yes i know.

I miss this one last sunday : Theta Data Basic 11 CD Transport & DS Pro III DAC.

I'm also could consider Theta Miles.

Sorry didn't understand the question. :(

Spectral Morn
24-11-2009, 15:02

Yes Mike Moffat of Theta was one of the guys who early on took other machines as a basis for their/his own. In those days you had little alternative as the big players Sony and Philips were reluctant to allow their mechs to be used in competitive players.

However in saying that and some later Theta machines/transports are based around Pioneer laser disc players they are generally regarded as being very good. However I would question how the sound quality stands up against modern designs. Any Theta users can you tell us and Kimkod how your machine stacks up against modern ones ?

Regards D S D L

KimKod
27-11-2009, 12:12
I already have a porposal to Theta Data Basic II Transport.

Any good DAC ?

Regards

José

DSJR
27-11-2009, 12:59
Theta's CD players (one AND two box) were superb in the late nineties. I have personal experience of the integrated and the cheaper two box models and I suspect they'd be more than competive now with any sub-£1000 players. Check to see if the laser can be fixed when it fails though..

The Theta DaViD transport was indeed based on a Pioneer base, but so much was added to the electronics I suspect the performance would have been way above the donor chassis. I certainly loved it at the time for both picture and available sound quality via the digital output..With the casa Nova DAC it was as clear as a Naim CDS2 but without the "cosy" quailty of the UK model.