PDA

View Full Version : £200 Turntable

Jimbo
18-07-2016, 11:46
Can anyone recommend a £200 turntable for a beginner getting back into vinyl. Second hand recommendations also appreciated.

This maybe an opportunity for someone to offload a TT they may wish to sell?

Wakefield Turntables
18-07-2016, 11:47
Lenco gl75 you should be able to pick up plinth end, working an posted for less than £120

walpurgis
18-07-2016, 12:06
One of these would be OK. They sound decent enough and the arm is quite capable. Needs a bottom cover, but it's only a bit of hardboard and best left off anyway in my view. About an hour away from you.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Thorens-TD-160-Turntable-/291813179911?hash=item43f16bc207:g:jg0AAOSwwo1Xfq3 T

Jimbo
18-07-2016, 12:11
One of these would be OK. They sound decent enough and the arm is quite capable. Needs a bottom cover, but it's only a bit of hardboard and best left off anyway in my view. About an hour away from you.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Thorens-TD-160-Turntable-/291813179911?hash=item43f16bc207:g:jg0AAOSwwo1Xfq3 T

Nice one Geoff, I think if it was for me I would rather go for something like this (Vintage quality) rather than a Rega or cheap Project. I am trying to get some recommendations together and then let my friend decide. Not sure which way he will go.:scratch:

Firebottle
18-07-2016, 12:15
Hi James, I've got a Dual 505 that is surplus and works well. AT110 fitted I think (will have to look), for a lot less than your budget.

:)

Jimbo
18-07-2016, 13:04
Hi James, I've got a Dual 505 that is surplus and works well. AT110 fitted I think (will have to look), for a lot less than your budget.

:)

Cheers Alan, I will let you know if there is any interest.

danilo
19-07-2016, 02:05
Do remember that in ALL things ..'audio'. Diminishing returns Does apply.
I won't Buy/use a MC cart for exactly that reason. Despite that I DIY'd my 'own" TT design in '69...True.
Buy something Decent and enjoy it. Striving for 'best' in vinyl is IMO a Wild Goose Chase... Not worth the Candle :-)
But then I've only being Dicking with this "stuff' since '67.

DSJR
19-07-2016, 07:44
Loads of used market bargains if you know where to look - latter phrase is important though.

For NEW product, I'm suspicious of the Pro-ject 'deck for all seasons' approach, but still warmly and pragmatically recommend a Rega RP1 at £229, or probably and almost certainly the more refined new Planar 1 at £249, as they'll have listened to records on it before bringing it to market!!!!

Jimbo
19-07-2016, 08:31
Cheers Dave, I think the Rega deck would be my first recommendation for a new deck.

Personally I would go for a used deck myself but not sure what my mate is looking for yet so just scoping out possibilities for around his budget of £200. My Lenco cost less than that with new cartridge and i suspect you would have to spend something like £2000 on something new to compete with it !

hifi_dave
19-07-2016, 08:38
I have a couple of new, sealed in their carton, Rega RP1 for £189 each. Usually £230.

An excellent, plug and play option

Jimbo
19-07-2016, 08:54
I have a couple of new, sealed in their carton, Rega RP1 for £189 each. Usually £230.

Ok definitely keep that in mind Dave. Thanks.

DSJR
19-07-2016, 08:59
The thing about almost ALL old turntables is that they usually need work on them. I'm on record here as one who hates GL75's being carved up, but taking a standard one, sorting out the tonearm V blocks, re-wiring the exit cables, let alone the internal ones if that could be done, is beyond most people. The Thorens TD150 will need some maintenance now as well, although the deck is 'quieter' all round (set it up like an LP12 which is in essence a beefed-up 'blue-printed' version and you can't go wrong).

The point about Pro-ject and Rega here is that they're well made and carefully production engineered for a long life as long as you don't use heavy weights on the light-duty main bearings, setup is a doddle for the 'un-initiated' as the counterweights are usually pre-set, but easily adjustable later on if necessary and if care is taken in siting and with personal experience now of the Rega RP1 to boot, I can say the sonics are in a class way higher than the cheapo price would suggest. I mean thirty years ago, this market was taken by the Pro-ject-made NAD deck with sprung sub chassis and circuit-board tonearm, a very brave attempt and a surprisingly good sound quality. An RP1 properly sited (the only bug bear with lightweight solid-plinth designs) will sound cleaner, clearer and tidier than this and I suspect it would give ancient Planar 3's a fright, as these will also need tightening up and a damned good clean and service to motor and platter bearings!

YNWaN
19-07-2016, 09:28

I would get this - Dave is an experienced Rega dealer and Rega have outstanding customer support.

Spectral Morn
19-07-2016, 09:32
Best value for money re a fit and forget, no messing, a beginners turntable which many of the above suggestions are not in my opinion, is any of the Projects. Nothing wrong with a Rega, but I still feel they are much more fussy re what you sit them on, than a Project.

Best bet is go to a dealer and hear both, buy blind and potentially live to regret it.

DSJR
19-07-2016, 19:04
I suppose to follow a manufacturer, one needs to go back to the beginning and see how the products develop overtime. Rega have changed their plinth materials several times over the decades and the slight boomy breakthrough of early R200 equipped Planars has now all but gone, so now, if the plinth is tapped, hardly anything comes through. The RP1 itself has undergone slight detail improvements over its life - a friend, ex colleague and poster here who's ears I trust, has had three RP1's I believe, with ventures up-market in between. he claims his most recent one, from late last year I think, is the best yet :)

Here's my current lashed up turntable, made of donated and very cheap parts on a P3 platform plinth. The old R200 was last used with success on the TD125 I had... It's got a donated 24V motor, P1 mdf platter, which works well with TD160 Super mat on it and one of those orange coloured silicon belts. No idea if it's proper high fidelity, but it communicates enough 'music' to satisfy me until my old Dual is sorted.

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q8/DSJR_photos/DSCF0213_zpsfypfcff5.jpg (http://s132.photobucket.com/user/DSJR_photos/media/DSCF0213_zpsfypfcff5.jpg.html)

cjm123
21-07-2016, 15:31
Hi James,

My apologies as usual a bit late to see this thread.:doh: My good friend DSJR is correct over the years I have experimented with a number of mid to expensive decks including refurbishing another friend's vintage LP12 which quickly showed it could become a money pit so sold it. Expensive decks including some really good ones like the Nottingham Analogue Spacedeck have left me under impressed for the money.

For me the problem with vinyl is the medium itself which is variable in quaiity and new vinyl isn't cheap (and still exhibits some of the flaws) so I have found that returning to an 'umble Rega RP1/Carbon serves me well and actually sounds really good if care is taken with its siting and with careful alignment of the cartridge and when used with a well designed phono pre-amp and amplifier. DSJR is also right that the build and finish has improved significantly. In short I reckon the RP1 is an over achiever for the money and can be picked up at a reasonable price secondhand especially as Rega have just launched the new Planar 1. It is also an object lesson in the merits of simplicity of design and build and should provide reliable service for a long time. In fact mine continues to delight and improve with use as the components bed in with each other.

Anyway hope the above is of help and good luck with the search!:)

Chris

danilo
21-07-2016, 16:43
Diminishing returns phenomena surfaces surprisingly soon in Audio gear these days.
Visiting a local record store recently..they had a demo station with a TT.
First sight impression was; WTF? Decidedly a cheap piece of plastic contraption.
Damned thing worked though, sounded surprisingly good too.
Actually better sounding that 'some' TTs previously experienced.
It was an AT-LP 60 as informed by the shopkeep. Who woulda thought?

rdpx
21-07-2016, 17:30

I was about to say "ask hifi_dave"

A friend of mine was recently asking the same question and I doubt you could do any better than a brand new RP1 for under £200, plus perfect for a beginner and should keep them happy for a while, maybe forever if they manage to avoid falling in the rabbit hole.

R

Jimbo
18-08-2016, 05:58
Ok so my mate has decided he wants a modern turntable and has chosen a Rega RP1.

Now he needs amp and speakers:rolleyes: so any suggestions for a modern looking £100 amp and a £200 pair of bookshelf speakers? Amp needs to look modern and black, and sound ok!:) Second hand considered.

Wakefield Turntables
18-08-2016, 07:24
Ok so my mate has decided he wants a modern turntable and has chosen a Rega RP1.

Now he needs amp and speakers:rolleyes: so any suggestions for a modern looking £100 amp and a £200 pair of bookshelf speakers? Amp needs to look modern and black, and sound ok!:) Second hand considered.

An amp looking modern for £100 :eek: why not look on eBay at some of he Chinese sellers or some DIY kit.

Macca
18-08-2016, 16:47
Some 'Seventies amps look more futuristic than contemporary amps - retro seems to be the current vibe. But I suppose if you buy new you don't have niggles about needing replacement caps and that.

skimminstones
18-08-2016, 18:52
should be able to get a nad c320bee for under hundred quid and some monitor audio br1 or br2 for under 200. Should leave enough change to get a cambridge audio phono amp to use the turntable with.

wee tee cee
19-08-2016, 15:57
The RP1 is a great plug and play solution. Had mine a few months now-with a good record its pretty good indeed. Bought John Martyn Solid Air last weekend-the half speed Abbey road studios release .....sounds lovely to my ears.

Jimbo
08-09-2016, 20:52
Some 'Seventies amps look more futuristic than contemporary amps - retro seems to be the current vibe. But I suppose if you buy new you don't have niggles about needing replacement caps and that.

Just wondering Martin, gave you got any amps for sale with a MM phono stage?

Macca
09-09-2016, 07:31
Could do you a Harman-Kardon 930 receiver. Dual mono power supply, full working order. Spring clip speaker terminals have been replaced with proper binding posts, otherwise it is original.

Geoff101
09-09-2016, 08:55
Hello,

I've got a Dual CS-5000 that would be in your budget (just!) but it's missing it's proper headshell. I've stuck a 505 one on but they are shorter. This necessitates adjusting the end of record arm pickup position (which I think I've done successfully - just a screw) but it might mean that the alignment is slightly out. Black plinth version, very good condition with new belt. I think I put a Shure M95ED with new genuine stylus on it.
Really wants the proper headshell to make perfect.

I also have a Lenco Gl72 in good order with a basic wooden plinth. Less loved than the heavy platter GL75 but cheaper as a result. £70 would buy that. Original arm with a Sony branded G850 cartridge. I bought a new stylus which seems to play fine but the cantilever suspension looks a bit weak to my eye so might benefit from a new one. I have a G800 as an alternative but it needs a stylus.

Both collection from just outside Bicester.

Geoff

Geoff101
09-09-2016, 09:00
Ignore the above - somehow missed page 2 saying you are sorted.

Firebottle
11-09-2016, 10:00
James, how about this amp for sale here on AoS: http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?46462-FS-Teac-A-H300

I'm tempted myself but I don't really need another amp ..

Firebottle
11-09-2016, 10:01
James, how about this amp for sale here on AoS: http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?46462-FS-Teac-A-H300

Geoff101
11-09-2016, 10:42
I do also have an original NAD 3020 (Boxed with instructions), or a Demon PMA-450 if either of those would suit.

Jimbo
11-09-2016, 14:33

Yep thats a beauty which I will also put in front of this guy. So far he is having a Rega P1 turntable and I think a cheap integrated will be an easy consideration. Next he needs some bookshelf size speakers.