PDA

View Full Version : Big online auction of studio gear.

shane
18-07-2016, 11:20
Forgive me if I've put this in the wrong place but notification of this auction popped into my email inbox this morning and there's lots of stuff of interest to AoS members.

http://www.ppauctions.com/eshots/20160721/

Martyn Miles
18-07-2016, 11:41
Thanks for this.
I have a small PA business ( MGM Audio ) and there are some interesting things there.
Mics. are what I look for mostly, but mixing desks ( analogue ) are sometimes worth a punt.

Martyn Miles

MGM Audio
Witney.
Oxon.

Ammonite Audio
18-07-2016, 21:15
Did you not notice the Rogers and Spendor LS3/5a speakers in that auction? They've already been noticed by Chinese bidders, so they'll probably go for silly money. The studios in question are just a few hundred metres from my house.

struth
18-07-2016, 21:19
Good speakers in small area I guess, and a status symbol too, even here, so much more so in China.

DSJR
19-07-2016, 08:36
Forget the screechy shitty LS3/5A's, none of which will meet their original specs anyway by now (prove me wrong ;)) and look at the Genelecs if they're cheap enough, as they're used all over the place and should also hold residual value.

Martyn Miles
19-07-2016, 11:27
Forget the screechy shitty LS3/5A's, none of which will meet their original specs anyway by now (prove me wrong ;)) and look at the Genelecs if they're cheap enough, as they're used all over the place and should also hold residual value.

Hello Dave.

I have had some experience of Genelecs.
Not my monitor of choice...

Martyn.

anthonyTD
19-07-2016, 13:13
All this is of course your personal opinion, and should not be portrayed, or indeed accepted as fact! ;)

Marco
19-07-2016, 14:50
Specs, shmecs; it's how stuff sounds in real world applications that counts! :exactly:

Marco (who cares more about the contents and 'texture' of his last stool, than he does about specs).

DSJR
19-07-2016, 17:20
All this is of course your personal opinion, and should not be portrayed, or indeed accepted as fact! ;)

Yes of course. But the 3/5a's all have a distinct 'character' which I've summed up above, all catalogued in various reviews over the years - you only need to give a pair a few minutes to hear it, ignoring anything I've said from long and tiring personal experience with the things ;) So many modern speakers out-perform them - imo - and I'm sure anyone who's listened to a few would agree. Apologies for appearing to patronise, but despite the pedigree, I was never in love with this model, yet the 2cu model (LS3/6) suited me far better and its Spendor half-sibling still does ;)

Marco please, the whole point about the 'BBC spec' bit is that for domestic/general use, each of a pair would be the same to tight tolerances, thereby maintaining stereo imaging, which they are pretty good at. The samples made specifically for the BBC, with XLR's on the back, were ALL the same, so any one speaker could be substituted for another with absolutely no change in sound from one to another. I watched as Robin Marshall, then of Audiomaster, painstakingly adjusted each and every crossover to get this to happen, this in the days before computer optimisation and depending how wayward the bass units were, this could take days for a batch to come together properly. This may not be important to domestic listeners, but as a 'monitor,' maybe it is... The KEF drivers being what they were, anything was possible at the time and I witnessed how variable they were first hand...