PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Gabriola Island, Canada...

zenmastering
15-07-2016, 22:27
...Between Vancouver and Vancouver Island.

I'm Graemme and I got tired of city life about six years ago...This coincided with most of my mastering clients sending me projects via the internet and led me to realize that I could live and work anywhere there was internet and access to Fedex ;-> So, perhaps not the best business move (less visible) but good for the soul (and soul wins, for now ;->)

I'd say that about 90% of my clients at least ask about vinyl and maybe 70% go ahead and do it. So, my interest in vinyl is both personal and professional.

I was born in London and our family moved to Canada in 1967. My connection to all things UK runs deep.

The setup here is an SL1200 Mk2 with various (and ongoing) modifications. The preamp is either a DIY unit or a Mytek Brooklyn DAC/Pre. I'm agnostic with respect to tube/solid-state and MC/MM debates, but prefer high-quality DD 'tables. I just want to get as close to the sound of the original master as possible and would prefer to enjoy the experience rather than letting my obsessive nature get the better of me. (I let that roam more freely at work...)

From what I've read here so far, people seem positive, enthusiastic, very knowledgeable and generous. I hope I can hold up my end of the bargain.

Cheers,

Graemme

struth
15-07-2016, 22:30
Welcome aboard Graemme, and hope you enjoy the forum. I dont blame you for getting out of the rat race and living somewhere soulful ... It is all you need.

walpurgis
15-07-2016, 22:47
Hello Graemme. Welcome to AOS.

I take it you've found the Techiepedia section in the Analogue Arts area? That is a real font of wisdom for Techies.

I like your view on cartridges. Much the same as mine. Mind you, there are many good MCs. Finding excellent non-MCs is a little trickier.

Feel free to join in the chat or start your own thread on any particular topic.

Enjoy the forum,
Geoff.

Macca
16-07-2016, 08:24
Hi Graemme - had to look up Gabriola - it is apparently the 'Isle Of The Arts' https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gabriola_Island - seems pretty warm for Canada, too!

Welcome to the forum.

jollyfix
16-07-2016, 10:32
Hi Graemme, welcome to AOS. What music do you like? Enjoy the forum.

hornucopia
16-07-2016, 15:37
Hi Graemme, welcome to AOS. What music do you like? Enjoy the forum.
I always thought that question was akin to 'what food do you like'.
Too wide?
Anyway......having visited Vancouver in January en route to/from NZ , (to avoid that paranoid place below Canada) plus -at this moment - wondering whether we could leave Brexit-land, your island sounds good. Though I was just reading an article about how rich chinese folk are buying a lot of Vancouver, thus hiking the house prices somewhat.
Perhaps they'll not want to live with hippies? (-:
The world is wide. Members all over the place.
Happy listening.

jollyfix
16-07-2016, 17:41
I always thought that question was akin to 'what food do you like'.
Too wide?
For me its simple, some may say "all sorts,apart from Rap", some "i like jazz and some rock", " i only listen to classical" etc...
What music do you like? better than asking, do you like Jazz? do you like rock? etc... or not even asking... i have found new bands/ artists from asking members what music they like.

Barry
24-07-2016, 22:09
Welcome to AoS Graemme.

So what music do you enjoy listening to?

Enjoy the Forum
Barry