PDA

View Full Version : Agnes Obel new album Citizen of Glass

Jimbo
13-07-2016, 17:36
Agnes Obel is releasing her third album in October called Citizen of Glass

http://www.agnesobel.com/?p=3074

I am eternally grateful that Rich B played a track from Aventine at NEBO a few years back as I would never have heard of this wonderful artist !

Gazjam
13-07-2016, 19:38
She be fab.
Looking forward to the new album Jim.

brian2957
13-07-2016, 19:48
Thanks for the heads up James . Hope all is well BTW :)

Jimbo
13-07-2016, 19:59
Thanks for the heads up James . Hope all is well BTW :)

All good cheers Brian. Here is her new single.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=32kYH6XZrIo

brian2957
13-07-2016, 20:03
Very nice James . A bit of a departure from her usual fare .

Jimbo
13-07-2016, 20:20
Very nice James . A bit of a departure from her usual fare .

Yes, I think her new album is going to be very interesting and beautifully composed as ever.

If you listened to the single did you notice the male voice, apparently it was her dropping her own voice a few octaves in the recording.

brian2957
13-07-2016, 20:22
Hah !! I thought it was a very good male singer :eek:

RichB
13-07-2016, 20:40
Agnes Obel is releasing her third album in October called Citizen of Glass

http://www.agnesobel.com/?p=3074

I am eternally grateful that Rich B played a track from Aventine at NEBO a few years back as I would never have heard of this wonderful artist !

I'll need to find some quality listening time for the new album Jimbo.

The Black Adder
13-07-2016, 20:48
Pre-ordered.. :)

struth
13-07-2016, 20:52
Ive 2 of hers, but my new speakers just dont like them. old ones were fine.... must be something in the freq or sommat;it just doesnt sound right. Ah well, cant win em all

YNWaN
22-10-2016, 08:15
I received my copy of 'Citizen of Glass' yesterday and can thoroughly recommend it - very cleanly recorded and pressed too.

SquireC
22-10-2016, 10:59
Mine is being delivered today.

struth
23-10-2016, 14:52
Still awaiting the vinyl. Should be today or tomorrow i think. Also awaiting April in Paris from the Basie Orchestra. Both seem to have been snatched by postie for his collection

Jimbo
23-10-2016, 15:17
It will be worth the wait. Unless postie likes them!:)

struth
23-10-2016, 15:36
It will be worth the wait. Unless postie likes them!:)

If its the young guy, then he has similar likes...lol he has recently got into vinyl.:eyebrows: still not arrived, and no missed ticket. Ive been out in shed most of afternoon doing odd jobs. Put the heating on in there for timebeing as i cant be bothered trying to empty the stuff that wouldnt like it getting too cold. Generally doesnt cost much to heat anyway as its well insulated

struth
23-10-2016, 17:33
Agnes has landed. needed cleaning as there was releae marks on it... still is a bit so maybe the vinyl. has a slight dish into side a as well. needed to hold edge down for vacuum. Not heard it yet though. A bit late now.

RichB
10-11-2016, 20:08
Finally picked up a copy today at Fopp in Bristol. Just want to get home, chill with a beer or two and immerse in it now!

struth
10-11-2016, 21:05
Only had one listen to mine so far, but enjoyed it very much. Different to the others and maybe better for my taste

Jimbo
12-11-2016, 08:10
Finally picked up a copy today at Fopp in Bristol. Just want to get home, chill with a beer or two and immerse in it now!

It is certainly one of those albums that takes your mind and soul somewhere else - in a good way.:)

ovlov854
12-11-2016, 10:34
Ive 2 of hers, but my new speakers just dont like them. old ones were fine.... must be something in the freq or sommat;it just doesnt sound right. Ah well, cant win em all

I too have had problems with this and the previous one Aventine....
So closely miked and very dynamic . caused distortion on the highest notes
I think that this maybe pre-amp overload. _10db attenuators seemed to cure it

Also notice that the image fluctuates from side to side or is that my stepped volume??

Anyway I will be going to see her at the end of this month

YNWaN
12-11-2016, 10:48
On Aventine some of it is recorded with her voice in three places - central and simultaneously strong left and right.

struth
12-11-2016, 11:00
Could be that. Speakers are very sensitive. More so than i originally thought and i now think they must be above 100db.. a different amp may handle this better of course

SquireC
12-11-2016, 11:59
Yes, some of her vocals are at 11 o'clock with the backing musicians at 1 o'clock. Excellent recording and pressing. A top album but it isn't AC/DC.

YNWaN
12-11-2016, 12:33
Speaker sensitivity wont be the issue - the only thing that will effect is the position of the volume control.

struth
12-11-2016, 13:08
Now ive another system taking form i will try them on it and see if i get a better result. Not sure why tbh but it just seemed all over the place while everything else is spot on. The lp is fine(glass)

RichB
12-11-2016, 15:44
Finally giving mine a spin today after arriving home yesterday and knackered.

Hadn't put the system back together after the MiBO and swapped my other cables in at the same time. Pleased to say the pressing and production as well as the music itself is simply stunning.

ReggieB
12-11-2016, 20:03
I bought Citizen of Glass as a high res download from Qobuz. I like it, but for me it lacks the edge and attack that Aventine had. I think Aventine is something special, and Citizen of Glass isn't essential listening in the way that Aventine is.

Jimbo
12-11-2016, 20:26
I bought Citizen of Glass as a high res download from Qobuz. I like it, but for me it lacks the edge and attack that Aventine had. I think Aventine is something special, and Citizen of Glass isn't essential listening in the way that Aventine is.

Err, I Think I would put them the other way round Rob. Just shows how music is experienced differently by the individual :)

ReggieB
12-11-2016, 20:35
That's true, but you realise of course that I am right.

Err, I Think I would put them the other way round Rob. Just shows how music is experienced differently by the individual :)

Jimbo
12-11-2016, 20:38
That's true, but you realise of course that I am right.

Must be your system.:lol:

ReggieB
12-11-2016, 21:02
Must be your system.:lol:

:ner:

RichB
13-11-2016, 00:50
I'm with Jimbo on this one, it sounds much more immediate and the strings in particular seem sharper and more punctuated than on Aventine.

ReggieB
13-11-2016, 15:26
That's OK. I don't mind other people having it all wrong.

ReggieB
27-11-2016, 00:00
I saw Agnes Obel tonight at Bristol University Student Union, and was really disappointed. The acoustics were awful. The highs were really thin, the lows really boxy and single tone, and the middle was mush. I think things weren't helped by the cellos being over amped. Very poor venue - I'll not be going there again. We left before the end of the set - it was just too exasperating to hear such great music being reproduced so horribly.

Jimbo
30-11-2016, 07:28
After Robs experience with the poor sonics in Bristol I was slightly concerned about the Agnes gig in Birmingham.

Venue was the town hall which is a beautiful building and after the first track the mixing desk adjusted the sound (too much bass) and from then on the acoustics were good to excellent.

What can I say of the gig. Well it was stunning and mesmerising. I have been listening to Agnes for 3 years and know her stuff extremely well but to see her live was fabulous.

She started off with Red Virgin Soil and then launched into some more tracks of Citizen of Glass including a stunningly beautiful rendition of ' it's happening again'. By then I knew this lady was extremely talented and was ready to sing her heart out, no holding back at what is neatly the end of her European tour. Her accompanying ladies were all also extremely talented playing a multitude of instruments and backing singing was superb. Lighting was minimal but no gimmicks were needed for this show. The music shone extremely brightly with its beautiful harmonies and intensity.

Golden green , Mary and Stone were all played and sung superbly, almost enchanting. Agnes can certainly capture your soul! Then she turned to some of her older stuff including on powdered ground, philharmonic and a stunning solo of smoke and mirrors. This lady can certainly play the keyboard in extremis and her voice was perfection.

She finished off with The curse, Down by the river and stretch your eyes.

Simply one of the best night I have ever had in the presence of a fabulously talented lady. This was a gig to remember up there with the very best! Only a few times in your life do you go and watch someone live and they deliver the goods and then go on beyond your expectation.

RichB
30-11-2016, 07:58
Bit jealous you guys got to see her live. Pity the acoustics weren't up to scratch for you Rob. Really frustrating when that happens. With acoustic artists particularly it is often either over or under done when you're used to hearing it as per the LP.

Even at my most favourite venue, the Sage in Gateshead, I find they struggle to get the levels using the in-house crew which is a shame as when it's right there are few better sounding venues in my part of the world.

ovlov854
30-11-2016, 09:59
I too was at B'ham Town Hall to witness the amazingly talented Agnes Obel and her equally talented and versatile ladies.
Agnes has a fine voice with quite a range but it has always been the accompanying vocal harmonies that give her albums such an ethereal quality ......and so it was last night.
The venue and taken out the ground floor seating as so the Birmingham Mosche Pitt was created.Those standing resembled the Terracotta Army viewed from the Gods so rapt was their attention.

All in all a stunning aural and visual tour de force verging on an assault on the senses........I doubt the Town Hall has heard such sustained low level sound levels
I'd go again tomorrow if I could!!

Btw did she miss out Aventine in the set??? And was that you Jimbo whistling piercingly in my earole??

ReggieB
30-11-2016, 10:23
I live about half way between Birmingham and Bristol, so could have gone to either. The Bristol gig was advertised via the Colston Hall newsletter, and I've always enjoyed shows there. However, this time it looks like I made the wrong choice.

brian2957
30-11-2016, 10:53
Nice write up James , lucky man . I'm glad the concert lived up to your ( very high :) ) expectations . Sounds like it was a fabulous night mate :)

Jimbo
30-11-2016, 11:36
Nice write up James , lucky man . I'm glad the concert lived up to your ( very high :) ) expectations . Sounds like it was a fabulous night mate :)

To be honest Brian she went beyond my expectations. I wish I could get tickets to see her again on this tour!

brian2957
30-11-2016, 11:41
Right , I see she's off to Canada and the USA for the next few months touring . I'm sure she'll be back soon mate .

Jimbo
30-11-2016, 11:42
I too was at B'ham Town Hall to witness the amazingly talented Agnes Obel and her equally talented and versatile ladies.
Agnes has a fine voice with quite a range but it has always been the accompanying vocal harmonies that give her albums such an ethereal quality ......and so it was last night.
The venue and taken out the ground floor seating as so the Birmingham Mosche Pitt was created.Those standing resembled the Terracotta Army viewed from the Gods so rapt was their attention.

All in all a stunning aural and visual tour de force verging on an assault on the senses........I doubt the Town Hall has heard such sustained low level sound levels
I'd go again tomorrow if I could!!

Btw did she miss out Aventine in the set??? And was that you Jimbo whistling piercingly in my earole??

Sorry Martin I was making a bit of noise.;)
She did miss out Aventine but her other stuff was so captivating I didn't miss it.
What an artist and glad you experienced the same as myself. Had a few friends with me who also felt it was an amazing performance and experience. Truly captivating.

Jimbo
30-11-2016, 12:56
local paper review of Birmingham gig.

http://www.expressandstar.com/entertainment/2016/11/30/agnes-obel-birmingham-town-hall-review/

ianlenco
30-11-2016, 13:50
A friend put me on to Agnes a few years ago after he'd seen her supporting Editors so when I saw she was touring the UK I immediately booked tickets at our nearest venue in Bristol. Unfortunately my wife was ill so I passed the tickets to son and daughter in law. :( They said she was very good but I'll have to wait for another tour.

Jimbo
02-12-2016, 13:04
Agnes is touring Europe again in 2017 and has a gig in London 4th June - tickets on sale 6th December.

ianlenco
02-12-2016, 13:56
Yep, just had the email - Roundhouse.

mr sneff
02-12-2016, 19:21

I think it grows on you. I wasn't that impressed on the first couple of listenings but I like it a lot now.

Ninanina
02-12-2016, 19:22
Thanks James I'd never heard of Agnes Obel before

Just ordered Aventine

Jimbo
02-12-2016, 19:45
Thanks James I'd never heard of Agnes Obel before

Just ordered Aventine

She is a sublime artist, Aventine is a great album and where I started with Agnes thanks to Rich B who played me the title track a number of years ago!

I think Citizen of Glass is in another league and a truly magical album. But hey all her stuff is very special so you can't pick a bad album. I particularly like Philharmonics her first album but as I say Citizen of glass is unbelievably great and for me has a touch of magic with its light and dark shades.

I hope you enjoy Aventine.

ianlenco
02-12-2016, 19:52
If you are after the first two albums Amazon has a double album on vinyl plus you get the CDs too - all for £28.

mikeyb
02-12-2016, 21:30
If you are after the first two albums Amazon has a double album on vinyl plus you get the CDs too - all for £28.
Thanks for that, ordered :)

HackneyRF
02-12-2016, 21:49
Giving this a second listen this evening. Very much growing on me. Impressive stuff.

mikeyb
02-12-2016, 21:53
Only problem with this order from Amazon is that the last time I ordered via Prime on an item that said it would take longer than the next day delivery the item never arrived and went unavailable :(

2 left at time of ordering but we will see if it arrives.

Jimbo
02-12-2016, 22:00
If anyone is interested in buying Aventine or Philharmonics I suggest you do it quickly as Agnes Obel.com store is showing both sold out on vinyl and Aventine sold out on CD.

Amazon is showing Aventine available at the moment!

mr sneff
03-12-2016, 04:54
Amazon is showing Aventine available at the moment!

If you're buying Aventine on CD from Amazon it's worth buying the deluxe edition. Not only is it cheaper than the standard edition, the second CD of remixes and live versions is excellent too.

Jimbo
03-12-2016, 06:36
If you're buying Aventine on CD from Amazon it's worth buying the deluxe edition. Not only is it cheaper than the standard edition, the second CD of remixes and live versions is excellent too.

Yes you get some recordings on the deluxe version not available on standard and they are very good tracks not just fillers.

Ninanina
09-12-2016, 23:37
Received Aventine and played it a few times now and it's really growing on me each play, thanks James :)

Jimbo
10-12-2016, 07:49
Received Aventine and played it a few times now and it's really growing on me each play, thanks James :)

Aventine was the first Agnes album I had, glad your enjoying it.

Listened to Citizen of glass last night and the sound quality is quite a jump from her earlier two albums. Production and musically composition are stunning.

Ninanina
10-12-2016, 22:34
Loving Agnes so just purchased Philharmonics ;)

It's very hard to pigeonhole her sound...

Ninanina
17-12-2016, 19:45
I'm an Agnes convert so now have all three of her cd's ;)

Jimbo
17-12-2016, 21:42
Agnes is a very special artist and her music is timeless. Her live concert performance was fantastic and went beyond my expectations.

Going to be hard waiting another 2 years before she releases anything else!:)

Jimbo
20-12-2016, 13:21
For anyone who is interested Agnes has posted the whole of her new album played live and recorded in France on her Facebook page.

The production is superb and the performance shows her amazing artistic ability both vocally and instrumentally. Definitely worth a watch for those of you who have not seen Agnes live.

struth
20-12-2016, 14:06
Dont do facebook alas. I do like the album though and prefer it to the others

RichB
20-12-2016, 15:30
Is this the one Jimbo? I'll watch it tonight.

http://youtu.be/B9u87ecP3KU

Jimbo
20-12-2016, 15:35
Is this the one Jimbo? I'll watch it tonight.

http://youtu.be/B9u87ecP3KU

Yes that's the one Rich. First time she has put whole concert up officially. Best listened through headphones. The production is excellent! Enjoy!:)

RichB
20-12-2016, 15:50
Not wanting to set you off again with another round of record buying but here's a few more talented ladies you might also like. I do.

Jesca Hoop.

http://youtu.be/Vyrwh0qRGEI

Martina Topley Bird

http://youtu.be/VMMllztkGyM

Hope Sandoval

http://youtu.be/ldCtRxALvyY

Happy Christmas ;)

Jimbo
20-12-2016, 15:53
Not wanting to set you off again with another round of record buying but here's a few more talented ladies you might also like. I do.

Jesca Hoop.

http://youtu.be/Vyrwh0qRGEI

Martina Topley Bird

http://youtu.be/VMMllztkGyM

Hope Sandoval

http://youtu.be/ldCtRxALvyY

Happy Christmas ;)

Cheers Rich and a very Happy Christmas too you.

RichB
20-12-2016, 23:05
Yes that's the one Rich. First time she has put whole concert up officially. Best listened through headphones. The production is excellent! Enjoy!:)

Really enjoyed this. Totally absorbed for a good hour. Very atmospheric and befitting a dark winter evening.

ovlov854
14-01-2017, 10:59
Spotted this on Utube couple of nights ago but superfan Jimbo beat me to it