PDA

View Full Version : New or newer BDP sought

Floyddroid
10-07-2016, 11:09
Thinking of buying a new or newer BDP as my old Panasonic BD35 is a bit long in the tooth. Been looking at the Oppo's and the new Cambridge Audio stuff and jeezuz are they expensive. I have seen an Oppo 103 Euro on the bay of E ex-dem for aound £500 would that be a good step up guys? this is an area i am not well versed in.:scratch:

brian2957
10-07-2016, 11:18
What about one of these Steve https://markgrant.co.uk/oppo-blu-ray/322-oppo-bdt-101ci-universal-blu-ray-transport.html

Gazjam
10-07-2016, 11:58
Good shout from Brian, a very nice player that.
It doesnt have the "smart" features (Netflix n the like) of the 103, but easy enough to add a Chromecast dongle or whatever to of its USB.

Have an Oppo 103D myself, and for watching moves Oppo kit is as good as it gets.
Fantastic support from Oppo too with continuing firmware updates and the like.
Great forum community too, which is very cool.

I'd go for it Steve, if your in the market Oppos a no brainer.

struth
10-07-2016, 12:08
If i had the cash id got for an oppo too.. Super sounding and pics are great.

Floyddroid
10-07-2016, 14:55
Ok, you have my attention here Brian. Transport? Is it a Blu ray player or merely a transport? Please explain.
What about one of these Steve https://markgrant.co.uk/oppo-blu-ray/322-oppo-bdt-101ci-universal-blu-ray-transport.html

brian2957
10-07-2016, 16:15
As far as I know it's a fully fledged Blu Ray player Steve , it just doesn't have all the other connections of the more expensive Oppo players . Perhaps Mark Grant or some of the experts on here can enlighten us further .

Floyddroid
10-07-2016, 21:22
I'll give him a bell tomorrow. Thanks for the heads up. Not really bothered about all the bells and whistles just looking for a quicker load up time and an improvement in picture and sound quality.
As far as I know it's a fully fledged Blu Ray player Steve , it just doesn't have all the other connections of the more expensive Oppo players . Perhaps Mark Grant or some of the experts on here can enlighten us further .

brian2957
10-07-2016, 21:35
Nice one , please keep us posted mate .

Floyddroid
10-07-2016, 21:48
Will do.

Nice one , please keep us posted mate .

Floyddroid
11-07-2016, 16:07
Done exactly what you said Brian and i have ordered a one. Thanks for your help guys especially Brian.

brian2957
11-07-2016, 16:14
Not a problem mate . This is on my wishlist and when I can afford one I will probably do the same . I would appreciate your brief feedback on this Oppo BD player Steve . Via PM or the open forum , whichever suits mate. :)

Chivas
11-07-2016, 18:35
All of a sudden I'm also interested in your findings. I don't know much about digital, but a universal player could fit in well here in place of my Cambridge cdp. I assume I won't be able to use it as a transport and feed the digital signal to my Jolida DAC for SACD or DVD-audio?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Floyddroid
11-07-2016, 20:44
All of a sudden I'm also interested in your findings. I don't know much about digital, but a universal player could fit in well here in place of my Cambridge cdp. I assume I won't be able to use it as a transport and feed the digital signal to my Jolida DAC for SACD or DVD-audio?

Mark is ordering me one tomorrow so as soon as I take delivery and able to assess it I will post a brief synopsis. I think you may be surprised actually as I think it may well have a digital out to use with your dac. I will let you know.

Chivas
12-07-2016, 05:24
Cheers, looking forward to your impressions!
Chivas

Simon_LDT
12-07-2016, 07:42
You can see in the photos/specs it has digital outs (Coax and Optical) so can be used as a transport only.

Mark Grant
12-07-2016, 21:32
Mark is ordering me one tomorrow so as soon as I take delivery and able to assess it I will post a brief synopsis.

Nice to speak to you Steve and thanks for the order.

Chivas
15-07-2016, 09:50
You can see in the photos/specs it has digital outs (Coax and Optical) so can be used as a transport only.

What I meant was, is it possible to stream SACD or DVD-A via the digital outputs to an external DAC. I have an old CA DVD player that can read SACD with coax out, but I am unable to feed it to an external DAC - someone told me this is intentional to stop you from ripping SACD??

struth
15-07-2016, 09:59
Think you would have to take it from hdmi, with an extractor if your dac doesnt take an hdmi socket and most dont

Gazjam
17-07-2016, 05:27
Think you would have to take it from hdmi, with an extractor if your dac doesnt take an hdmi socket and most dont

^This^

I've been down this road myself with my own Oppo and this is the only way.
Worth it to get 24 Bit audio from your Blurays, makes a difference into a good Dac.

Simon_LDT
17-07-2016, 06:50
There is no way to output hi-res audio from dvd-a/sacd or blu-ray discs via the digital outs on a blu-ray player due to silly copyright/s. Everything is downsampled to 16/48.

I just rip the audio using either dvd-a explorer or DVD Audio Extractor and then straight into my HDD and streamed via a RPi 2 into my DAC.

Gazjam
18-07-2016, 07:19
Hear you on the Copyright thing...
You can output hires to your Dac with an Oppo though Simon via one of its HDMI outputs.
As Grant says you do need an HDMI extractor to do it, can get 24/48 from Bluray films, very nice into the dac. :)

Used DVD Audio Extractor myself, great bit of software.

There is no way to output hi-res audio from dvd-a/sacd or blu-ray discs via the digital outs on a blu-ray player due to silly copyright/s. Everything is downsampled to 16/48.

I just rip the audio using either dvd-a explorer or DVD Audio Extractor and then straight into my HDD and streamed via a RPi 2 into my DAC.

Simon_LDT
18-07-2016, 08:01
Yeah, I know HDMI will send the full hi-res but I assume to use with a DAC I'd need some kind of converter/adapter?

Gazjam
18-07-2016, 10:14
Yeah,
They strip the audio out of HDMI and outputs it to rca or toslink digital out.

Floyddroid
28-07-2016, 12:12
I have to report that the Oppo BDT-101CI is one hell of a machine. It does have me scratching my head though. How can this degree of quality be gained at such a price. From the packaging and the inclusion of a heavy duty HDMI cable to the integrity of the machine it is amazing at the price.picture and sound quality via the supplied cable are second to none both in two channel stereo and 5.1 via my Yamaha RX-V677 av receiver. I will be giving the Oppo a run out in my 2 channel system via it's analogue outputs soon and then report back playmates. But for now, well chuffed. A Big up to Mark Grant. A great bloke to deal with. Many thanks for sorting this Mark.

Mark Grant
28-07-2016, 16:22
Thanks Steve, it was good to talk to you.

Definitely worth trying the Oppo 101 as a CD player in your two channel system using the analogue RCA outs, it is very good indeed :)

Great for £360, bargain.

struth
28-07-2016, 18:36
tempted with these as a one fits all player. need to sell some stuff i think ;)

brian2957
28-07-2016, 18:37
Nice one Steve , glad you like it :)

Chivas
29-07-2016, 10:54
Thanks for sharing your thoughts Steve - keep us updated as you stretch its legs.

I am looking for a multi-media player for AV, but also as a 2 channel transport to be fed to my external DAC. I don't need all the bells and whistles - I think this may just fit the bill. Was it easy to set up as I am a bit of a digital dummy - e.g. I have no idea what PCM and DSD mean or what the difference is!

Chivas

Macca
29-07-2016, 11:17
Thanks for sharing your thoughts Steve - keep us updated as you stretch its legs.

I am looking for a multi-media player for AV, but also as a 2 channel transport to be fed to my external DAC. I don't need all the bells and whistles - I think this may just fit the bill. Was it easy to set up as I am a bit of a digital dummy - e.g. I have no idea what PCM and DSD mean or what the difference is!

Chivas

They are just different methods of encoding a wave form. SACD is propriety version of DSD. Since almost all music is now recorded in PCM it has to be converted to DSD to produce an SACD. The differences between PCM and DSD/SACD are not great and in practice are swamped by the quality of the mastering. As mentioned above unless your DAC supports DSD and accepts HDMI input you will not be able to use it with the OPPO as a transport to listen to DSD/SACD recordings as intended, since the player will output only PCM code digitally. You would have to use the analogue output from the Oppo and bypass the DAC to do this.

Floyddroid
30-07-2016, 12:10
All very complicated and all very unnecessary when the Oppo machines are so good you don't need to fart around connecting them to anything else. plug em in and music comes out.
They are just different methods of encoding a wave form. SACD is propriety version of DSD. Since almost all music is now recorded in PCM it has to be converted to DSD to produce an SACD. The differences between PCM and DSD/SACD are not great and in practice are swamped by the quality of the mastering. As mentioned above unless your DAC supports DSD and accepts HDMI input you will not be able to use it with the OPPO as a transport to listen to DSD/SACD recordings as intended, since the player will output only PCM code digitally. You would have to use the analogue output from the Oppo and bypass the DAC to do this.

Macca
30-07-2016, 12:46
Exactly. No point getting fetishistic about digital. That's what we have vinyl for ;)

struth
30-07-2016, 12:58
Agree Martin. Thats why i dont use a dac now

Chivas
02-08-2016, 12:08

Thank you for clarifying. Now I am also enlightened!

Chivas
02-08-2016, 12:11
All very complicated and all very unnecessary when the Oppo machines are so good you don't need to fart around connecting them to anything else. plug em in and music comes out.

I agree, it would be a great win if I don't need an external DAC - but it's a pity the OPPO does not have a digital input, as I quite like browsing and streaming music via airplay through AppleTV when chilling out - which means I would probably have to keep my DAC which seems like overkill for this purpose

Chivas
02-08-2016, 12:12
I have to report that the Oppo BDT-101CI is one hell of a machine. It does have me scratching my head though. How can this degree of quality be gained at such a price. From the packaging and the inclusion of a heavy duty HDMI cable to the integrity of the machine it is amazing at the price.picture and sound quality via the supplied cable are second to none both in two channel stereo and 5.1 via my Yamaha RX-V677 av receiver. I will be giving the Oppo a run out in my 2 channel system via it's analogue outputs soon and then report back playmates. But for now, well chuffed. A Big up to Mark Grant. A great bloke to deal with. Many thanks for sorting this Mark.

Hi Steve

Have you had a go with the OPPO in your 2ch system yet? Would be really interested in your thoughts

Chivas

brian2957
02-08-2016, 14:07
+1 :popcorn:

Floyddroid
15-08-2016, 16:14
Sound quality wise in two channel mode really quite up there with the best i have heard. Smooth deep soundstage with a fairly live feel to it. I am in no hurry to put my old cdp back just yet. Can't fault it for the money. I may just sell my Arcam.

brian2957
15-08-2016, 16:44
How does it compare to the turntable Steve ?

Floyddroid
15-08-2016, 20:02
How does it compare to the turntable Steve ?

Not bad but the turntable still has the edge for me like.

brian2957
15-08-2016, 20:03
OK thanks mate :)

Floyddroid
16-08-2016, 05:16
OK thanks mate :)

I think you will find once your Lenco is fettled any cdp will be second place Brian. I always regret selling mine. It was a beast.

brian2957
16-08-2016, 06:48
Ain't using a CD player at the moment Steve . My digital shows it a clean pair of heels. The turntable is more than a match for my digital and the CD player is in the loft :)

Mark Grant
16-10-2016, 19:45
Thanks Steve, it was good to talk to you.

Definitely worth trying the Oppo 101 as a CD player in your two channel system using the analogue RCA outs, it is very good indeed :)

Great for £360, bargain.

It looks like these have gone now, quietly slipped out of stock everywhere :(
A few here grabbed a bargain at £360 :)
If you see one available they are worth buying.

struth
16-10-2016, 19:51
It looks like these have gone now, quietly slipped out of stock everywhere :(
A few here grabbed a bargain at £360 :)
If you see one available they are worth buying.

I was intending getting one as well... ha, typical lol ah well you never know, they may come again.