PDA

View Full Version : Hi from Wales

bosa
09-07-2016, 07:37
Hi everyone, my name is Jonathan and I have been following AoS for a while so thought I had better join the community!

After a long break (children mostly) I got back into playing vinyl a few years ago. A few upgrades later I currently have
Michell Orbe
SME IV
ZYX Airy3
HiFi Collective TVC preamp
John Wood EL84 power amp
Living Voice Avatar
Plus an older Simaudio Moon nova CD player and Audiolab MDac for digital stuff which mostly resides on my MacBook.

I have recently had the good fortune to be able to make the next significant upgrade which will be a pair of Tune Audio Prime horn loaded speakers driven by a Grandinote Shinai amp. The speakers work well in my small listening room in a Welsh cottage so am really chuffed. The LV were great in a larger room but I could not get them to produce the same magic in a cramped environment.

I listen to a range of music including female vocal, jazz old and new, blues old and new, some rock and pop (mostly my wife's). A tiny bit of classical makes its way to the turntable.

All the best
Jonathan

jollyfix
09-07-2016, 08:39
Hi Jonathan, welcome to AOS. Enjoy the forum. Great system you have there, any photos? Lovely part of the world west Wales. I have many friends in that neck of the woods. John Wood amp, not heard one, but transported one from Wales to London for Al ( on here), bloody heavy beast.

bosa
09-07-2016, 08:57
This is the view I get, you can see my space challenge!

bosa
09-07-2016, 08:57
Apologies for the duplicate!

struth
09-07-2016, 09:16
Welcome Jonathan. Yes your room is a challenge, but it will give you the headphone effect, a bit like my shed/workshop/hidiehole... Gives some decent tunes.

walpurgis
09-07-2016, 09:33
Hello Jonathan. Welcome to AOS from me too.

Interesting system you have there. That should turn out some nice sounds.

I don't know Tune Audio speakers. Keep us posted as to how you get on with them and tell us if you have any other system changes in mind.

Enjoy the forum,
Geoff.

Spectral Morn
09-07-2016, 09:59
Welcome to AoS :cool:

ff1d1l
09-07-2016, 10:35
North or south west wales....?

And welcome....

hifinutt
09-07-2016, 10:57
brilliant , heard the primes and helped take some to the wigwam show

heard lots about the grandinote and you could not get a better dealer than jack at bd audio

bosa
09-07-2016, 11:17
North or south west wales....?

And welcome....

Mid Wales! Near the coast between Aberystwyth and Cardigan. Lovely part of the world, just a fair distance from the rest of it!

bosa
09-07-2016, 11:19
brilliant , heard the primes and helped take some to the wigwam show

heard lots about the grandinote and you could not get a better dealer than jack at bd audio

I will let people know how I get on when they arrive. I was searching for speakers that would work, found the Primes at the North West show and made the 'mistake' of demoing with the Grandinote! Really excited, and yes, Jack has been great.

Sovereign
09-07-2016, 12:04
Welcome Jonathan, nice set up BTW

jollyfix
09-07-2016, 12:16
Mid Wales! Near the coast between Aberystwyth and Cardigan. Lovely part of the world, just a fair distance from the rest of it!
Spent loads of time cardigan way , Tresaith, and LLangrannog. Been going there since the late 70's. Regularly go to St Dogmaels to visit old friends. Lovely part of the world.

bosa
09-07-2016, 12:26
I am sure my journey over the last few years is the same as many others; basic Project deck into existing AV amp and Ruark Talismans just to see if I really want to get back into vinyl. Then secondhand Arcam amps, Roksan Radius 5. Tempted by valve amps I tried a Minimax preamp and then an Audion power amp. When I got the John Wood amp I found the Minimax had far too much gain leading to noise and changed to a passive pre. I then got the LVs secondhand. The Orbe/SME/Zyx combo confirmed my heavy preference for vinyl.

Floyddroid
09-07-2016, 21:35
Fabulous system sir. Big welcome.

ff1d1l
10-07-2016, 11:37
Ahh...lovely area....shame you're not closer! Bit of a hi fi desert up here (Snowdonia).

Barry
24-07-2016, 20:55
Welcome to AoS Jonathan.

I have friends in North Wales (Conwy and Abergele), so frequently I am up that way.

Enjoy the Forum
Barry