PDA

View Full Version : Hello have just joined

clinchy
03-07-2016, 17:36
At present I am refurbishing my late fathers Tandberg 4000x. This is my first project and am enjoying this immensely. It has sparked a real interest in reel to reels even without playing my dads tapes yet as project is not complete.
My music tastes are quite wide from 70s onwards and before with jazz and blues. Plus brass bands as my dad was in a brass band for years.

walpurgis
04-07-2016, 08:57
Hello Kevin. Welcome to AOS.

Reel to reel tape machines are very popular here. Look through the Analogue Arts section and you'll see. Start a thread on your project if you like, I'm sure plemty of people will chip in with comment.

Tell us about the rest of your system and about what plans if any you may have for it.

Enjoy the forum,
Geoff.

clinchy
04-07-2016, 22:26
Thanks Geoff
I will have a look at the analogue arts section.This is my first project on a reel to reel and boy what a one to start on. At present I have been doing plenty of cleaning and gaining confidence handling the machine. Have at present took turntables off as the clutch pads disintegrated. Loads of biscuit type material to take out. Going to get hold of some cork and make replacements.
Heads I've cleaned with isotopyl alcohol and been advised to get blue magic metal polish as have some light rust in areas. Heads still might need a relap or replacing.
Pinch roller is not too hard but cracks around the edges so going to try revitaliser or replace if needed.
Few so fingers crossed I will at some point be able to play my late dads tapes. I am really enjoying this project and at 50 have found a new hobby. Will look for another reel to reel once completed, but one that doesn't require so much work,but am taking my time and learning each day

Kevin

struth
04-07-2016, 22:28
Welcome Kevin. Sorry for being late to the greeting :)
Enjoy the forum

clinchy
04-07-2016, 22:35
Thanks Grant will do

walpurgis
04-07-2016, 22:50
If you fancy something different and you like a challenge Kevin, take a look at 'Elcassette' units. The ultimate (allegedly) in non reel to reel tape.

clinchy
04-07-2016, 23:20
Sorry Geoff you may have received this but think I lost last reply. These Elcassette look great and would be in keeping with my music from 70s and 80s. Am wanting to build up my music system as analog as have loads records and tapes. However also looking at one more reel to reel a Bremmell, which is slightly older than my Tandberg but looks lovely. At 50 am at the beginning of a journey that I originally took over 30 years ago when I put my first system together. Life begins at 59 and music rocks

Floyddroid
05-07-2016, 10:42
Welcome Kevin. Good to have another r2r man on board.

clinchy
05-07-2016, 19:55
Thanks Steve am enjoying this forum already. Am sure will be needing advise re getting the Tandberg back to working order, but am already thoroughly enjoying project

walpurgis
05-07-2016, 20:01
Thanks Steve am enjoying this forum already. Am sure will be needing advise re getting the Tandberg back to working order, but am already thoroughly enjoying project

You'll find very knowledgeable reel to reel people here Kevin. Some have some pretty serious recorders.

Sovereign
05-07-2016, 20:19
Welcome Kevin

clinchy
05-07-2016, 20:26
That's great Steve. Am back on the workbench this weekend. Work doesn't half get in the way with hobbies sometimes

Barry
07-07-2016, 21:53
Welcome to AoS Kevin.

Tandberg used to make some very good reel-to-reel machines; I had a Tandberg 3000 for awhile.

Enjoy the Forum
Barry

clinchy
07-07-2016, 23:34
Thanks Barry. Am enjoying refurbishing it and learning a lot about maintainance of reel to reels