PDA

View Full Version : Intro

MrC2
01-07-2016, 19:29
Hi

Last year I finally bought a house after years of moving about/renting, and I have been trying to get used to music that doesn't come from a personal music player. As soon as I had the keys I repossessed my ageing hifi from my brother, but most has not survived 15 years of living with him. Like a dear old dog that knows it isn't long for the world it gave me a friendly woof and then expired:
- Mission 7000CD - deceased
- Gale 301 speakers - brutally murdered - arrived with 5p coins stuck to both tweeters and the main cones disintegrated when I tried to check them out. Considering turning the cabinets into memorial flower boxes :-(
- Cyrus 2 amp - on life support, outlook not good. Explorative resoldering has not stopped erratic right hand channel speaker performance, never mind the state of the MM phono sockets. Bro gave me his unused Evolution VA100 amp, but a background hum has developed in last 2/3 months, which I can't get rid of despite cleaning the internals.
- Systemdek IIx turntable - thank goodness he doesn't play records. Ignored and left in its box, the only damage is what looks like melted wax on the dust cover. I got my local dealer to refurbish it and it's fine - original systemdek arm (really a rebadged Rega RB200 or 300, I forget), and a new AT MM cartridge.

Just to get some music into the house I have made some purchases to get me through paying for sofas and washing machines. Current system is therefore:
VA100
Systemdek IIX
Arcam SA27CD
Monitor Audio Bronze II (bookshelf speakers on floorstands)
..the latter two coming from Richer Sounds until I decide what I want longer term.

My immediate concern, and the driver for finding the forum, is to get to a place where I have an amp that allows me to enjoy playing CDs and records, so I can decide if I want to keep that or just move to a digital/streaming solution. I am told my Cyrus2 is too old to be sent back to Cyrus, and I'm not sure I like the VA100 enough to spend further time and effort on it.

For now I am enjoying playing physical CDs and records, many of which I hadn't heard for years. I have an extensive collection of digital music too. My tastes are mainly indie/alternative rock and goth, but a reasonable amount of harder rock, electronic, classical and jazz.

One of my friends has some spare equipment, and I wanted to get your thoughts on the following. He will sell me either of the following, at less than eBay prices:
A. Cyrus 6xp
B. Naim 122x/150x pre power combo.

Questions: All I want for now is working hifi, I don't want to think about this as the base for an upgrade later, as I want and expect to make a big jump in quality.

1. The first thing I've learned is that both of these are too modern to have an MM input. It appears that ProJect can sort me out with an input, but they have a range of models. It seems to me that as soon as one goes past the entry level model, which is MM only, then you seem to be paying for MC? Is there any reason not to buy the £45 model? Any other manufacturers/models to consider?

2. Whilst it is very tempting to go for the Naim, I can't help thinking that will outclass the speakers and make me want to buy another set of speakers. Do you agree, how much might I need to spend to get a suitable set?

3. Anyone want to shout for the Cyrus instead? Why?

Thanks for reading this.

Mr C

walpurgis
01-07-2016, 19:51
Hello Colin. Welcome to AOS.

I know how frustrating it is when you have a system that isn't working correctly. I'm sure people here can give you plenty of opinions.

Why not start a thread in the Blank Canvas area outlining your ideas and asking questions. By the way, don't exclude the idea of having a separate phono stage to your main amplifier. That can offer benefits at sensible prices. You can have MM/MC or just MM or just MC. There are also high output MCs that work into a normal MM input.

Enjoy the forum,
Geoff.

struth
01-07-2016, 20:03
welcome Colin.

there is a project phono stage on sale in private exhibitions. good price and will do doth types. Just plug it into a line level on the amp.

Light Dependant Resistor
01-07-2016, 22:19
Hi Colin
The singular manufacturer way of thinking used to hold up,
but in these more modern times you need to look at
just a few parameters to get really good audio

We all fondly remember Naim Linn combos and Quad with ESL57's -
this gear has proven itself, but why ? it was well designed and the
manufacturer had setting excellence as their goals. In the case of
Quad "Quality Unit Amplifier Domestic "

But today, you can use these earlier designs - they are still good
but factor in a bit of maintenance, particularly capacitors being
replaced with modern equivalents. The DIY section is great for this.

For power amps
1. Low input sensitivity ideally below 750mv for full output
2. Adequate power output for any speaker you choose
3. Low distortion

Pre amps can be passive attenuators ( always lessening volume )
Less is More and often far more.

MM and MC can be a dedicated phono stage.

I would choose the Naim power amp, get its capacitors replaced
look at getting a passive attenuator and buy a dedicated phono stage
Your audio will then be of such a high standard, you will just enjoy
your music collection.

Hope this helps.

Cheers / Chris

Floyddroid
05-07-2016, 10:46
Welcome Colin.

Barry
07-07-2016, 21:33
Welcome to AoS Colin.

The Project phonostage should get you nicely started for little outlay.

Enjoy the Forum
Barry