PDA

View Full Version : I come from a land down under

1200reasons
29-06-2016, 05:02
Hello and thank you for welcoming me to your forum.

My name is Hugo and I'm from Sunny Brisbane, Australia (although it's winter right now... cold.)

I'm in my early 30s but have been doing this "audiophile" thing for a long time. My very limited budget has always made me less audiophile than others though.

I've recently started doing the "vinyl" thing, which has reignited my love of music. In a short time I bought a Rega Planar, SL-1200, sansui and a bunch of other stuff. I've decided to sell off the excess stuff and focus on the Technics because it's the most fun and I feel like it has the most potential.

I like hip hop, indie rock and classic rock primarily, but I also spin some jazz, classical, eledctronica etc.

I tend to be a "hifi sceptic" and don't always believe the marketing hype and reviewer/user impressions. I prefer to focus on the numbers, facts and science. Blind tests rule supreme, and audiofoolery beware. Unfortunately, this can lead to disagreements when I doubt the benefit of items that people have spent hundreds on. I'm a nice guy though- I just want to buy the stuff that's the best.. not what "feels" like it's the best.

I should have "Learner" plates on my back because despite being an audiophile for 15 years, I've still got a lot to learn.

Thanks for listening to my life story. You guys seem like a friendly bunch, so a full introduction is in order

CageyH
29-06-2016, 06:00
Welcome.
There is plenty of info here on how to get the most out of your SL1200 in so many different ways.
I made the same journey a few years ago, but made different choices compared to many here, but I am happy with the results.

1200reasons
29-06-2016, 06:22
So far I'm just thinking fancy tonearm and external PSU (probably DIY by using the standard transformer and adding lots of filtering etc). Despite the testimonials, I question aftermarket bearings because the rumble on a SL-1200 is already excellent and inaudible. Until I hear a needle drop, I'm going to question aftermarket platters and mats.

I've customised it cosmetically

I suspect that within days I'll be boring everyone in the Technics subforums with repetative questions. My curiosity is high

walpurgis
29-06-2016, 09:03
Hello Hugo. Welcome to AOS.

The Technics is a good turntable and folks here can advise you on getting the best from it. I take it you've seen the 'Techiepedia' in the Analogue Arts section?

Tell us what plans you have for the rest of your system.

Enjoy the forum,
Geoff.

1200reasons
29-06-2016, 10:24
Hi Geoff

I have indeed seen Techiepedia.

At thgis stage, my upgrades are very much focussed around my turntable. I want to make my first step into the world of MC. I'm looking to get a new preamp, but want to try to work out a way that I can replace my MM, whilst also getting LOMC capability at the same time- all on a budget. I probably either need to find a DIY MM/MC preamp or a MM and find an affordable SUT or headamp.

I'll work out some compromise.

I'm happy with my speakers and (for now), amp.

I have electrostatic dreams, but that's years away.

I'm doing a bit of DIY room treatment and will probably head to a HVAC shop next month to buy some dense insulation for sound panels

struth
29-06-2016, 10:33
Welcome Hugo. Hope you find the site useful:)

rhythmbug
29-06-2016, 12:39
Hi mate

Regarding the search for a preamp with multiple cartridge loadings, I picked up a Trichord Dino MK1 off eBay for a good price (£180), it has 4 loading selections. Nice bit of kit, new ones are a bit expensive though. There's one going on eBay at the moment with some upgraded parts but the seller seems to be only sending to UK buyers. Food for thought anyway.

I'm originally from Brisbane and can tell you the current English summer is fairing worse than a typical Brissy winter :)

Cheers

Mike

Barry
07-07-2016, 17:27
Welcome to AoS Hugo,

It is always good to have some healthy scepticism when it comes to reading about items of hi-fi gear. Listen to the advice and opinions of others, but don't follow their advice blindly (or should that be deafly?); always let your ears be the final arbiter.

As you have discovered there are many Technics 1200 enthusiasts here, who will be only too willing to share their experiences with you.

Enjoy the Forum
Barry