PDA

View Full Version : Reel 2 Reel the new Vinyl

337alant
24-06-2016, 18:33
Reel 2 Reel is now the new Vinyl, apparently people are revitalizing their interest in all tape machines

http://www.theverge.com/2015/10/5/9409563/reel-to-reel-tape-retro-audio-trend

Alan

Barry
24-06-2016, 20:15
By "the new vinyl", do you mean that the latest trend/fad is the replay of pre-recorded R2R tapes? Current "audiophile"grade vinyl costs around £25 per LP. How much does an equivalent, recorded at 15 ips, cost? A lot more I would imagine.

JohnJo
24-06-2016, 20:56
By "the new vinyl", do you mean that the latest trend/fad is the replay of pre-recorded R2R tapes? Current "audiophile"grade vinyl costs around £25 per LP. How much does an equivalent, recorded at 15 ips, cost? A lot more I would imagine.

And where do you get them?

337alant
25-06-2016, 02:27
Yes I meant it is becoming a new fad, the problem is I doubt there will be any new commecially available media produced.
A Blank tape will cost around £40 Pyral LPR35 http://www.thomann.de/gb/recording_tape.html, that would give you 90mins @ 7.5" and 45mins at 15" you can record what you want onto it direct from Vinyl of Digital, this is my preferred method of obtaining nice recordings, I tape normally from digital files directly from my DAC.
You cant really by any new music really just selected older titles taken from master tapes or buy second hand from ebay/amazon.

The tape project has some tapes taken from master recordings http://tapeproject.com/catalog/, not cheap but said to be excellent

There is also a list of suppliers of master recordings on the United Home Audio web site so besides http://unitedhomeproducts.com/where_to_buy_reel_to_reel_ma.htm

Alan

danilo
25-06-2016, 04:20
Unlikely a major fad developing. However R 2 R use does exist, I've seen a few adherents.
Bit off on your pricings though....2500 ft 1/2" tape is 4 X !! your price.
IMO 1/4" tape is a pale imitation.
Don't be forgetting the need to reverse wind the tapes periodically. A certain dedication is required.
Print through is Real, there's no sitting it on a shelf for a year or more

337alant
25-06-2016, 08:53
Hi Danilo

Bit off on your pricing though....2500 ft 1/2" tape is 4 X !! your price.

My pricing was based on 1/4" tape as thats all I use,(note length in M) http://www.thomann.de/gb/rmg_lpr_35_14_1100m_nab.htm?sid=76d91fefcd37cd0744 65a603180dba8e
I agree that 1/2" is better but everything much more expensive as you stated, for me 1/4" for domestic use is fine and sounds as good as any other source I have.
I use back coated tapes and store my tapes tales out as it minimizes what you here in print through. If it gets bad I tape it again :eyebrows:

Alan

Barry
25-06-2016, 14:25
I can't see the point of recording onto tape, music you can download. Why not play it direct from the DAC? Why involve an extra layer of technology?

Also, can someone explain to me why storing tapes 'tails out' reduces print-through? :scratch: As far as I can see, it just turns print-through pre-echo into post-echo, the latter of which will be masked by the programme. The print-through is not reduced, it's moved to a more benign place.

337alant
25-06-2016, 18:25
I can't see the point of recording onto tape, music you can download. Why not play it direct from the DAC? Why involve an extra layer of technology?

Also, can someone explain to me why storing tapes 'tails out' reduces print-through? :scratch: As far as I can see, it just turns print-through pre-echo into post-echo, the latter of which will be masked by the programme. The print-through is not reduced, it's moved to a more benign place.

Barry because I like the sound of tape and I enjoy the experience of the R2R player in general as many people do with Vinyl and turntables, I have a very good digital playback system but I still find myself listening to Tape more than anything.
Re tails out what I said is " it minimizes what you here in print through" by moving it to a post echo

Alan

daytona600
25-06-2016, 18:59
£200-£1000 for the R2R Tapes & they do sound stunning on a clients Studer
saving up myself for a nagra/tascam/revox or dream machine ampex ATR

Barry
25-06-2016, 19:31
Barry because I like the sound of tape and I enjoy the experience of the R2R player in general as many people do with Vinyl and turntables, I have a very good digital playback system but I still find myself listening to Tape more than anything.
Re tails out what I said is " it minimizes what you here in print through" by moving it to a post echo

Alan

Fair enough Alan, I can understand that. I have had fun with my Nagra finding it useful for recording 'off air', but wouldn't regard it as my prime source.

Thanks for confirming my thoughts on print-through. When I asked the same question some time ago, I was greeted with some snide and unhelpful remarks from a member here, who has had experience in the recording industry.

topoxforddoc
25-06-2016, 21:08
15 IPS half track R2R with a 1/4 inch "master tape" just sounds amazing - way better than my vinyl set up (Platine Verdier with Schroeder/Allaerts or Hadcock/Decca C4E). High quality music is not cheap, but it sounds astonishing. Just been listening to Miles Davis "Kind of Blue" this evening - arrived last week from the US :)

Barry
25-06-2016, 21:24
15 IPS half track R2R with a 1/4 inch "master tape" just sounds amazing - way better than my vinyl set up (Platine Verdier with Schroeder/Allaerts or Hadcock/Decca C4E). High quality music is not cheap, but it sounds astonishing. Just been listening to Miles Davis "Kind of Blue" this evening - arrived last week from the US :)

How much does the "master tape" version of 'Kind of Blue' cost? And have you compared it with the various "master cuts" available on vinyl?

topoxforddoc
25-06-2016, 22:31
How much does the "master tape" version of 'Kind of Blue' cost? And have you compared it with the various "master cuts" available on vinyl?

Barry,

My copy is a vintage Radio Station distribution copy, which I got from the US - it was about £230 inc shipping and customs. I've had number of tapes from this source in the US - all of which have been generally one-offs and great. As I have 4 x 15 IPS machines, this has been copied immediately to a new LPR35 tape, which will be my normal play copy.

Charlie

PS Radio Stations would subscribe to record companies and get copies of music on 15 IPS 1/4 inch tape. When the Radio stations went digital, these tapes went into private collections.

337alant
26-06-2016, 05:34
Barry,

My copy is a vintage Radio Station distribution copy, which I got from the US - it was about £230 inc shipping and customs. I've had number of tapes from this source in the US - all of which have been generally one-offs and great. As I have 4 x 15 IPS machines, this has been copied immediately to a new LPR35 tape, which will be my normal play copy.

Charlie

PS Radio Stations would subscribe to record companies and get copies of music on 15 IPS 1/4 inch tape. When the Radio stations went digital, these tapes went into private collections.

Charlie
I would really love a copy of that Kind of blue if its possible?. PM me

Alan

Virtual-Symmetry
26-06-2016, 10:23

Alan

If i record a CD onto R2R it sounds much better to me.

Barry
26-06-2016, 12:54
Barry,

Charlie

That's interesting Charlie, thank you. Are there companies selling new copies made from master tapes of other works? And if so, what is the typical cost?

topoxforddoc
26-06-2016, 15:50
Hi Alan and Barry,

I don't think anyone is making any commercial tape copies of Kind of Blue. Buying an old radio station copy is legitimate, but that does not endow the purchaser of the tape with licensing rights to duplicate or sell the music on the tape. I just make a copy onto new tape for personal use, so that my original tape does not deteriorate with use. The original just gets stored.

There are a number of companies which have licensed jazz and other music for commercial reproduction and sale e.g. Tape Project, Horch House Music and others. There are over 20 companies now making new 15 IPS releases from established jazz artists e.g. Oscar Peterson, Ella Fitzgerald, Theolonius Monk, Lee Morgan etc. However, these typically go for 300-400 USD/Euro a pop.

337alant
26-06-2016, 17:54
Charlie I completely understand and your quite right
Enjoy R2R is where its at :D

Alan