PDA

View Full Version : Currrent super rock band reissues - Any good? - (Election free zone)

The Black Adder
24-06-2016, 13:30
Hi all.

So, after a whirlwind of election stuff... it's now time to calm down and stick some tunes on. :eyebrows:

Thinking of getting some reisssues. Firstly Led Zeppelin, Not got the Beatles box set yet so that is on the cards. Lastly, The Doors (to which I have had little listen to thanks to Marco).

So I'm wondering what people thought of the current reissues... or should I plump for expensive originals. To be honest I've no idea what the reissues between original release are like.

Led zep wise I'm looking at I, II, III IV and Houses. Not all at once though.

Thanks

Stratmangler
24-06-2016, 14:44
The Led Zeppelin stuff is well pressed and sounds good.

symon
24-06-2016, 14:56
The Zeppelin re-issues sound amazing.

HackneyRF
24-06-2016, 17:18
I have Led Zeppelin I and it does sound very good

The Black Adder
24-06-2016, 20:19
Thanks guys.

struth
24-06-2016, 20:23
Crime of the Century (Supertramp) has been re released on 3 discs or cheaper 1 disc as far as I know. supposed to be good. Ive got the now rare Speakers Corner version. Great record

Stratmangler
24-06-2016, 21:33
Crime of the Century (Supertramp) has been re released on 3 discs or cheaper 1 disc as far as I know. supposed to be good. Ive got the now rare Speakers Corner version. Great record

The Speakers Corner version is the best version I've ever heard.
The thing is, Speakers Corner try to produce the very best versions they can, not replicate first edition releases. They try to do better than first edition releases, and it shows.

struth
24-06-2016, 21:40
The thing is, Speakers Corner try to produce the very best versions they can, not replicate first edition releases. They try to do better than first edition releases, and it shows.

Not heard the new 3 disc one although it will likey be good. must be 45 I'd imagine. Yes the speakers one is great; one of my favourite records and I often use it to test. Worth a fair bit now if you have one... about £75 in nmint nick ; maybe more.

moffer
24-06-2016, 23:27
The 2015 MCA/UMC reissue of Lynyrd Skynrd (Pronounced leh-nerd skin-erd) sounds great.

daytona600
25-06-2016, 09:46
Thinking of getting some reisssues. Firstly Led Zeppelin, Not got the Beatles box set yet so that is on the cards. Lastly, The Doors (to which I have had little listen to thanks to Marco).

Led zep wise I'm looking at I, II, III IV and Houses. Not all at once though.

Led Zep the new remasters are not bad at all , best versions are the AAA 200g classic records but deleted & very expensive now

Beatles box - mono AAA are superb but avoid the stereo red book masters

Doors rhino digital versions are lifeless best versions AAA 45rpm analogue productions

Simon_LDT
25-06-2016, 11:07
If you're into Rush, the new vinyl issues are superb, all mastered by Sean Magee. If you're into classic Maiden, those (also by Magee) are superb also. Not sure what the new Floyd ones are like as am yet to purchase any but I did like the 3 they released a few years back. I'm mainly waiting for Meddle and Animals myself.

HackneyRF
25-06-2016, 11:35
If you're into Rush, the new vinyl issues are superb, all mastered by Sean Magee.

I picked up Exit Stage Left and Moving Pictures from those reissues. Moving Pictures sounds superb. Exit Stage Left less so but still pretty good.

Any Scott Walker fans need to get the Box Set reissue (1st four solo albums + 'Til The Band Comes In). High quality stuff! Best birthday present my wife has ever bought me.

And the King Crimson reissues sound amazing too.

I'd be interested in any opinions on the recentish Black Sabbath reissues, anyone heard or own them?

Sorry to highjack your post Josie!

bob4333
27-06-2016, 08:03
I have the original Led Zeps 1 to 4 on the old Red / Purple labels, and the 2 LP reissue of Led Zep 2, which contains unreleased versions on the second disc. Well worth having for this material alone but SQ surpasses the originals.

Beatles reissues are good: didn't buy the box set, just picked the ones I wanted (which has actually finished up as most of them). I now have 5 versions of Help! Three from back in the day (2 stereo, 1 mono), the new 180g reissue and the reissue mono version that has a slightly different presentation. It's the stereo 180g I play the most.

Don't overlook the Beatles / George Martin LOVE LP. Excellent quality, only one poor track on it. Also the red 27 number 1's album is pretty good. You can hear how the techniques change as the years roll by.

The Black Adder
29-06-2016, 16:59
Thank you very much for your help chaps. :)

I have owned the Quiex version of IV before and do remember that it sounded great.

How about Floyd? - Looking at the amount of versions of especially DSOTM, it's really quiet confusing. So how are the latest Abbey Road remasters?

bob4333
30-06-2016, 06:27
This is spooky: you don't have a way of peeking at my record collection by any chance.......?

My copy of DSOTM is a first UK pressing that I bought within days of it's release and sounded pretty good. I say sounded as 3 years ago it got stacked upright 8 feet from a window that catches the sun for a couple of hours in the afternoon and guess what? It's now unplayable and all I can do is sit and look at it and contemplate my idiocy. :doh: Which is even more annoying given the sums some people pay for these at auction.

So I now have a new heavyweight remastered copy of the recording and it far exceeds the old flower pot version. The sound is clean and fresh, with a lot more body to it and that bloody alarm clock and chimes at the start of "Time" aren't half as grating as they used to be. So, well recommended.

I also have two copies of The Division Bell. The first is on blue vinyl and the less said about SQ the better - but in my defence it was the only copy I could buy new. I think even the CD version sounds better. Fast forward to July 2014 and I bought the remastered version on 2 180g LP's cut from the original analogue masters. As you might expect this is everything you might wish for and delivers on it's promise.

Only draw back is that being spread over 4 sides you get a lot more enforced exercise than a 2 sided version, but your ears will love you for it.

The Black Adder
30-06-2016, 20:32
This is spooky: you don't have a way of peeking at my record collection by any chance.......?

My copy of DSOTM is a first UK pressing that I bought within days of it's release and sounded pretty good. I say sounded as 3 years ago it got stacked upright 8 feet from a window that catches the sun for a couple of hours in the afternoon and guess what? It's now unplayable and all I can do is sit and look at it and contemplate my idiocy. :doh: Which is even more annoying given the sums some people pay for these at auction.

So I now have a new heavyweight remastered copy of the recording and it far exceeds the old flower pot version. The sound is clean and fresh, with a lot more body to it and that bloody alarm clock and chimes at the start of "Time" aren't half as grating as they used to be. So, well recommended.

I also have two copies of The Division Bell. The first is on blue vinyl and the less said about SQ the better - but in my defence it was the only copy I could buy new. I think even the CD version sounds better. Fast forward to July 2014 and I bought the remastered version on 2 180g LP's cut from the original analogue masters. As you might expect this is everything you might wish for and delivers on it's promise.

Only draw back is that being spread over 4 sides you get a lot more enforced exercise than a 2 sided version, but your ears will love you for it.

Hi Bob,

Many thanks for your reply.

lol... It must have been my second sight... :) :eyebrows:

Ouch!... That is a bad thing to happen to a most treasured lp. I hope you keep them well away from the window now.

Interesting about the chimes on DSOTM, it's always grated me. I bought the 20th anniversary remaster back in the 90's and I was wanting those chimes to be presented better but alas not. I was never impressed by that remaster back then.

I was never a fan of Division Bell, I bought it on cd but it didn't click unfortunately.

Spectral Morn
30-06-2016, 22:09

I have a Speakers Corner copy of the Moody Blues second album Days of Future Past, fabulous :)

The Black Adder
01-07-2016, 08:31
That's a great album, Neil.

Spectral Morn
01-07-2016, 10:21
That's a great album, Neil.

A lot of my early musical exploration was when I was in school, borrowing cassette tapes from the local library and the Moody Blues covers attracted me, as did Yes. Days of Future Past with its orchestration is simply wonderful, as good today as it was back in the day.

Alfonzo
17-01-2017, 17:13
Hi Bob

I have just had some warped unplayable lps flattened by analogue seduction for about £4 per lp plus post and in all cases they are now playable. I would recommend you send your original (blue Triangle?) to Terry Field at AS and get it sorted.

The blue triangles (genuine early heavy vinyls) are meant to be the best

Good luck

Haselsh1
17-01-2017, 17:39
Hmmm... very difficult one this. At No1 it would have to be Brand X for the sheer precision of their musicianship. No2 it would have to be The Chemical Brothers because; well, because it would.

Haselsh1
17-01-2017, 17:42
LOL, the effects of whisky at five in the afternoon. This last post should be in another category but hey, who's bothered LOL

The Black Adder
17-01-2017, 17:47
Not to worry... The Chemicals are always up there IMO... :)

bob4333
18-01-2017, 08:56
Hi Bob

I have just had some warped unplayable lps flattened by analogue seduction for about £4 per lp plus post and in all cases they are now playable.

Good luck

That's useful to know Alf so thanks. Had I been aware at the time I'd have taken a punt and sent it off to Analogue Seduction.

When you say "they are now playable" does this mean they're as they were before or are they still a bit wobbly. And how does the sound quality stack up?

Thinking back I'd still go for the new heavy weight remaster I have over my 1973 pressing. There's more detail and life in it than the original. Maybe the old one was just "played out"? I'm still astounded by what people are prepared to pay for them though.