PDA

View Full Version : technic sl-1500 woes....and flutters

smithie
19-06-2016, 19:22
hi everyone
i recently brought a technics sl-1500 as ive always loved the look of these decks,plus i wanted to hear how a dd turntable sounded,having only had experience with rubber band models:)
anyway the condition was a bit grubby,but after a soapy wash it cleaned up pretty good,but alas thats where the good news ends.
only one channel was playing which i traced down to a broken phono lead,i replaced these and that sorted that issue.
the problem i m having which i cant cure is the speed stability issue,the thing just isnt constant on speed,it hunts back and forth,the pitch controls work fine within there range but obviously this is of little help if the deck cant hold a steady speed to start with:scratch:
ive done all the normal stuff suggested regarding these decks....ie..stripped the mains/selector switch/pitch pots/adjustment pots on main pc board,they have all been totally stripped and cleaned with electrical contact cleaner,rubber eraser also used where possible on contacts,ive even replaced 8 out of 9 of the electrolytic s on the main pc board for new fresh ones....but alas the same problem exist:confused::confused:
anyone else have any thoughts/tips/ideas/ or better still cures:)
what ive heard so far sounds appealing and love the simpleness of this turntable plus the looks so im hoping big time that it can be sorted.
regards
smithie

Arkless Electronics
21-06-2016, 11:29
Is it a MkII? I have the SL150 MkII which is the same as the 1500 except it comes without arm and usually with a cut-out for SME arms. Mine has a wow and flutter problem which at first was intermittent and then became so bad as to make it useless. The fault is an IC on the main board which I traced as being the culprit years ago... just never got round to fixing it! About £35 for the new IC..... IIRC the MkI has different speed control electronics but can't remember if it shares this IC... I suspect not...

smithie
27-06-2016, 15:02
hi
thanks for the reply and suggestion.
i have now sorted it and its steady as a rock now,turns out one of the new electrolytic s i put in was faulty,replaced it with another and now its all good:)
mine is a mk1,i stick with these as theres no pesky ics to worry about or replace:D
regards
smithie