PDA

View Full Version : Advice sought to value a record collection - Classical

Tweedle-Dee
19-06-2016, 11:33
I have been offered a record collection - around 100 Classical LPs and some Classical box sets. The seller inherited it from his father and they were played on a Linn axis turntable with a decent MM cartridge - none of the records is a modern pressing. I have been told they are all in good condition.

The seller is not interested in cataloguing the records, but has seen some ebay prices - he mentioned £3 -£7 for the LPs and up to £75 for the box sets.He has sought a fair offer from me. I am not a record collector expert and would be interested in the records for my own use.

Given the above, what might be a fair price to offer to buy them as a 'job lot'? I know that is an impossible question, but there many of us who buy records in this way. The seller appreciates that there may be some gems among the records, but as neither of us will be going through them individually, in many ways a purchase would be 'blind'.

Thanks in advance for any advice offered,

Kind regards,
TD.

Spectral Morn
19-06-2016, 12:51
Hi David, hope you are keeping well - if you ever want to sell your CD12 give me a shout.

Unless there are any desirables (living presence etc) among that I would value at £1 an album, and how many per box set.

There was a massive collection of classical lps kicking around in NI a few years ago, thousands and I bought what I wanted out of it, but had to leave the rest, no idea what happened to them an entire room floor to ceiling, I am pretty sure there were no collectables, not that I am expert mind you.

I would still do a visual check of each lp as surface/groove condition is vital in classical - lots of low level passages - more so in away than rock or pop.

take5
19-06-2016, 15:24
TD, collections of classical sell on ebay for buttons. especially blind collections.

box collections too, fetch peanuts.

So, if he is looking for £300 ish, he is dreaming. He will never get that, and you should forget it.

UNLESS ...................you can look through and assess. some classical can be very valuable. as a generalisation, look for ASD, SXL and SAX labels.

To be honest, I wouldnt even offer £100 for them unless you can look through and see what is there. some folks think classical is Mantovani etc etc., and you could end up with a pile of rubbish.

If they are around the corner, go and have a look. If it involves a lot of time/effort to see them, ask for more details.

struth
19-06-2016, 16:22
Yeah very hard to say... Could be some gems but unless you get to see its just £1 a record tops alas. But if you fancy them offer a bit more. Not s huge market for classical

Joe
19-06-2016, 16:49
What others have said; the seller can either do the hard work, grade the albums by rarity and condition, put them on eBay and deal with the resulting hassle, and maybe get a high price for a few records, or let you have them as a 'job lot', sold as seen. £100 - £150 would seem a reasonable offer.

Tweedle-Dee
19-06-2016, 18:43
Thanks guys - your comments confirm my own estimates on values.

I will hopefully see the records through the week and will discuss further with the seller. I will let you know how I get on.

Kind regards,
TD.