PDA

View Full Version : Old Creek Amp

homespun
15-06-2016, 15:32
Hi, any body still using an old Creek 4040 amp. I still use mine for my equally old Rega Planar 3/RB300 arm/ Ortofon Red and its very interesting to compare that amp with more modern stuff, I tried my Rega through my friends Mitchell and Johnson amp (tweaked Sansui), Hmm, there is a difference but I can't quite put my finger on it. The M+J can take bass and treble adjustments to more extremes, and possibly has a tad more attack. I also tried my Planar 3 through my ARCAM Mini Solo via a Pro-Ject pre-amp, very clean sound if not a bit dry and clinical, back to the Creek, well after a chat with Mike Creek I can put my finger on the Creek sound, it has similar fluidity of a valve amp with smoother highs and smoother lows but not to extremes, may be the definition is not up to more modern amps but its one hell of a nice sound to listen to, its smoother on the ear according to my Missus. I can listen to the music rather than the amp if you see what I mean.

Virtual-Symmetry
15-06-2016, 15:39
Yeh about 50p worth of difference :eyebrows:

Service em & just use them is my recommendation. I have gone back to my 80's system & do not regret it one single bit.

homespun
15-06-2016, 17:39
Whats your 80's system sounds cool

Virtual-Symmetry
15-06-2016, 17:42
J.A Michell 'Focus One' Turntable /A&R Cambridge Ltd 'A60' Amp.. Fully serviced TT/Rebuilt Amp

Macca
15-06-2016, 17:45
, it has similar fluidity of a valve amp with smoother highs and smoother lows but not to extremes, may be the definition is not up to more modern amps but its one hell of a nice sound to listen to, its smoother on the ear according to my Missus. I can listen to the music rather than the amp if you see what I mean.

I've had one and I recognise your description of its sound. It was a bit 'thick' sounding I thought, but easy on the ear. Quality bit of kit, tiny but weighs a ton as I recall.

Virtual-Symmetry
15-06-2016, 17:48
I've had one and I recognise your description of its sound. It was a bit 'thick' sounding I thought, but easy on the ear. Quality bit of kit, tiny but weighs a ton as I recall.

Thick! no not thick, Sounds very simoowlar to my amp.. I thought the Chipboard sleeves on those creek 40/40 a bit to thick section.

homespun
15-06-2016, 18:17
Focus One and A+R A/60 classic Hi Fi, The Creek is heavy for its size but that was because of its huge heat sink on the back and a large heavy torroidal transformer. My first decent deck was a Thorens TD160 with SME 3009 arm and good old shure cartridge, amp was a Sugden, apparently still made. I think there is a lot going for classic HiFi if you choose carefully. I found the Creek slightly cartridge sensitive and a brighter cartridge might brighten it up a tad, I think my current Ortofon red is too warm for the preamp stage, I will have to check out other cartridges, any suggestions but not too expensive,

walpurgis
15-06-2016, 18:21
I can put my finger on the Creek sound, it has similar fluidity of a valve amp with smoother highs and smoother lows but not to extremes

Creek amps are very good Peter. Always have been. I'd like to get my hands on a Destiny 2.

Not sure I go along with your valve amp analogy though :). They can sound lovely, but there are some inadequate examples about that's for sure. There are also solid state amps that exhibit the musical traits that many attribute to valves. There is no real dividing line that separates valves from transistors in sound character.

homespun
16-06-2016, 07:46
Yes your probably right about the Creek sound, I love it, of course there are lots of better and more expensive amps, but its what you hear out of the speakers that counts. I had a look on E Bay to see if any were being offered for sale but only saw 2 early models like mine, both looked in poor condition. Destiny 2, very sort after collectable amp. The current range are bit too expensive for me.

homespun
16-06-2016, 09:50
Sorry guys, I meant to say the CA4040 Series 3 is very collectable. haven't found one yet.

Virtual-Symmetry
16-06-2016, 12:34
Some may snigger but the best match for my amp has always been the Heybrook 'HB1' Speaker..

homespun
16-06-2016, 17:41
Mine was the old CELEF Domestic Mk2 book shelf made by ProAc, but Heybrook had a reputation for a great sound

I now use a pair of Bowers & Wilkins 685 S2 speakers, nice but lets be honest its hard these days to find a bad speaker.

Virtual-Symmetry
16-06-2016, 20:54
Do you mean its hard these days to find a good speaker? ;)

homespun
17-06-2016, 07:22
I guess its how you quantify a good or bad speaker, generally most modern speakers seem to perform quite well, but in the early days of Hi Fi there were plenty of good and bad with all things in between a bit like today I guess.