PDA

View Full Version : New & not as young as I'd like to be!

Ant22
13-06-2016, 19:41
Hello all. Delighted to join this community. I apologise that I will lean on your knowledge for a long time before making valuable contributions!
I have many years of enjoying a good quality sound whilst playing a broad church of 60s (mainly Beatles, Stones & Soul), 70s (adding lots of funk, Zep, punk & early electronic), 80s were my youth so a lot of nostalgia there, mainly electronic moving into jazz funk at university as my horizons expanded. Loved the 90s, great dance tunes, plus Britpop & Radiohead, still adding lots to my record box including new.
Technology allegiance started with Quad & Nakamichi, with some Beard Driad prototype speakers. In late 90s added a Gyro Dec.
Burglary saw insurance replace Quad 34 / 306 Inc tuner & CD with full 7 series Quad set up late 90s. I enjoyed that for many years but 4 years ago added a second listening room. With more volume tolerance ...
So went McIntosh MA6600, ATC SCM50s & the Gyro Dec. Very nice & warm sound but recently I decided I want more detail.
So I've added a Pink Triangle Anniversary with correct SME V & a Lyra Lydian beta cartridge.
Now that's why I need advice ... But that's not appropriate for an introduction!
My name's Anthony & I split time between London & Suffolk.
Delighted to access this knowledge resource.

walpurgis
13-06-2016, 19:51
Hi Anthony. Welcome to AOS.

You have some very nice equipment there. I should think that all sounds rather good.

You'll find every HiFi topic discussed here. You could start a thread in the Blank Canvas area if you want to chat about your system. I'm sure you'll get plenty of opinions.

By the way. I know Beard, but I've never heard of Driad speakers made by them.

Enjoy the forum,
Geof.

struth
13-06-2016, 20:00
Welcome to AoS Anthony. Hope you enjoy it :)

Ant22
13-06-2016, 20:05
Thanks for the welcome & advice Geof.
Yes the Beards were quite a mystery. I bought them on TCR in 1988 or 1989. I think HiFi Experience was the retailer name. The shop sold them as prototypes, the serial number (I hope I recall correctly) was pair 21. Looked super, black gloss finish tower with flat front that tapered in triangular fashion behind. Two drivers & a bass port. No Beard logo, just Driad in rear serial number plate. But told they were by Beard & I didn't know enough to care or question as I was young & poor & they blew everything of comparable price out of the water sound wise.
I gave them away 4 years ago. Went to shelf speakers is London & scm50s in Suffolk. Didn't need 3 sets of speakers & liked a kid who needed some cool speakers that sounded super.
May never have been Beard prototypes but that's what I was told a long time ago.

Ant22
13-06-2016, 20:06
Thanks Grant. Looking forward to learning. Anthony

Barry
23-06-2016, 11:14
Welcome to AoS Anthony.

Some nice gear you use.

Enjoy the Forum
Barry