PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Essex

vintage_fan
13-06-2016, 14:30
I am a music and hifi enthusiast of a few decades standing and although I have a decent collection of cds I have never stopped playing vinyl. In the past couple of years I have started buying vintage turntables for no other reason than I enjoy fiddling about with them. It has got to the point that I realise, in occasional moments of clarity, that I have got more turntables than I really need! Looking forward to picking the brains of other members and hopefully some experts on the forum.

hifi_dave
13-06-2016, 15:58
Welcome neighbour. Where in Essex are you ?

Which turntables do you have ?

vintage_fan
13-06-2016, 16:11
Thanks Dave, I am near Chelmsford

struth
13-06-2016, 16:14
Welcome to the forum Phil. Hope you can find a brain to pick;). Join in and enjoy the chat etc

Barry
13-06-2016, 16:27
Welcome to AoS Phil,

And welcome to the 'East Anglian Massive' - I live near Chelmsford too.

How many TTs do you have and what sort of music do you play on them?

Enjoy the Forum
Barry

walpurgis
13-06-2016, 18:30
Hi Phil. Welcome to AOS from me too.

Tell us what equipment you have in your system and what music you listen to.

This is a friendly place and you'll find plenty to interest you. Have a look around and join in the chat. Or if you have specific topic to discuss, start a thead and outline your thoughts.

Enjoy the forum,
Geoff.

vintage_fan
13-06-2016, 22:21
Well I have a Roksan Radius 5, a Michell Focus One with a Mission 774 arm, a Garrard AP 76 - bought for old times' sake - always wanted one as a boy but couldn't afford it - not the best sounding deck but had fun making a plinth for it. Currently working on a Lenco GL70 = another home made plinth, Denon DA 790 arm and a stacked platter - looks like a Frankenstein monster to be honest - just got to finish the plinth then will be able to see if it sounds better than it looks!

vintage_fan
13-06-2016, 22:30
Thanks Barry

Turntables that I have owned over the years in chronological order:
Garrard SP25
Thorens TD160
Dunlop Systemdek (pagoda style)/SME seriesIII
Garrard 401/SME 3009
Roksan Radius 5
Garrard Zero 100s
Goldring GR1
Garrard AP76
Michell Focus One/Mission 774
Lenco GL70/Denon DA790/Stacked platter

Still own the Michell, AP76, Radius and Lenco
I mostly listen to classic and prog rock with a bit of jazz thrown in for good measure

walpurgis
13-06-2016, 22:33
Sounds like you're having fun.

Your tastes are not that different to mine. I like the old AP76 (and AP75). Own and love my three 774 arms (and the others). Have several Lencos in various staes of assembly (but seriously disapprove of stacked platters ;)). Had the Denon arm in the past. And I like the Roksan and Michell.

What's the rest of your gear? What cartridges are you using? Don't tell me you use Tannoys.

Virtual-Symmetry
14-06-2016, 03:38
Michell Focus One

:respect:

vintage_fan
14-06-2016, 06:56
Yes, I love the 774, it was a real bonus as I was buying the Michell first and foremost and it just happened to come with a 774, an arm I knew nothing about before. Just having a new counter weight made by Audio Origami to address a sagging weight issue. I am using a Shure M97xe at the moment which seems to work well. I like the idea of low mass arms and high compliance cartridges it just seems "right" but I have yet to explore MC cartridges, I am sure they have plenty to offer. Amp and speakers are Quad 34/306 and Ls35a

Yes, I am a bit ashamed of the stacked platter! It seemed the best way to get the project up and running. I wanted to mount the arm on the motor plate and with the surface of the platter so low I couldn't think of any other way of getting the VTA right. Have you used different arms on your Lencos? If so how did you address the VTA issue?

Spectral Morn
14-06-2016, 11:43
Welcome to AoS

vintage_fan
14-06-2016, 21:35
Thanks Neil