PDA

View Full Version : Why do I not get ANY inquiries on my classifieds?

andyrlb
11-06-2016, 19:15
Is there any reason why I don't get a single inquiry on my ads ?

dantheman91
11-06-2016, 19:22
Current times Andy

Sometimes no one gets a reply its all what your after...some want some dont its just the way it is...not many have £600 to spare i doubt......

Some items i cant even give them away for a decent price....

struth
11-06-2016, 19:29
Yes, prices on a forum usually have to be very keen on a forum unless its very much flavour of the month. 600 is a lot in these days of austerity. Also you are relatively new here. Not a lot of high end stuff moves here at moment; certainly not quickly unless its a stone cold bargain Andy. Improve the pics a bit and more of them might help too.

Macca
11-06-2016, 19:40
And put a more specific location in your profile especially if it is pick up only.

Also start your sales thread title with 'For Sale:'

Bump them every couple of days.

Check completed listings on eBay to see your not asking too much (you probably already do that but I can't think of anything else).

andyrlb
11-06-2016, 19:40
Cheers Dan , it was only because I'd looked at other classifieds and they all had replies bar mine .

Barry
11-06-2016, 19:41
Describing your speakers as "ugly" doesn't help either. Be positive - don't do 'down' anything want to sell, nor for that matter should you 'hype' it up.

Only a very few items sell within an hour or two. It all depends on what other Members are looking for. Sometimes it can be days or even weeks before any interest is shown (I speak from experience).

Be patient - I'm sure you will sell your speakers in due course.

andyrlb
11-06-2016, 19:41
Thanks Barry , how do I bump ?

andyrlb
11-06-2016, 19:44
Yes you're probably right , I tend to say things as they are and in the case of these Dalek speakers I thought they'd sell themselves.

Barry
11-06-2016, 19:46
Simply click on your For Sale thread and add a new post, which can be additional information, or simply say "Bump", or "still here", "anybody interested" etc. (You get the idea.)

dantheman91
11-06-2016, 19:59
Cheers Dan , it was only because I'd looked at other classifieds and they all had replies bar mine .

I guess so what might sell on another forum might not sell here.....we are quite a specific butch from budget to high end....but take the others advice someone will come along you only listed them today mate...its a huge ask to sell them in current times thats not to say they wont its all about timing one month no one will will want them the next they will be queuing at the door....

Cheers
Dan

Audio Advent
11-06-2016, 20:19
Replies are not important - most replies I read are from people expressing how they like them but aren't interested in buying or how they are interested but can't afford them at the moment..

What is important are private messages expressing real interest and it only needs the one for a sale! You'll get more PMs if you're up for people making offers. I see of your recent classifies you sold the Kef model 3s, withdrew the sale of the Marantz amp and only listed two things today - i.e the one thing for sale before today sold fine!

Your recent ad for the older Kefs says they may not be for sale in 24 hours... that will put anyone off who can't buy this second and also anyone looking at them tomorrow who might well assume they're no longer for sale and might indicate you'll change your mind mid-negotiation.

I agree also that it is the way of things today. Not because people aren't buying stuff but because people buy on ebay so much more and that audience is vast compared to small, friendly forums of people who likely already have a hifi, if not several.

andyrlb
11-06-2016, 20:29
Cheers Dan

Idlewithnodrive
11-06-2016, 21:44
As people have said, the forum isn't a particularly high traffic forum, regulars often have a system or four stashed away and look for very particular types of equipment when they are looking to buy.

You would be far better off with the ebays of this world, although they present their own problems, or a lot higher traffic, more broad church hi-Fi specific site like the wam, hifi for sale etc.

Horses for courses as they say.

Virtual-Symmetry
12-06-2016, 05:50
High priced second hand goods are tricky to sell because money is not in abundance these days & you will find that people laying money out will generally be via their credit card because their is no other way of affording such things.So its either New or a dealer.

Spectral Morn
12-06-2016, 11:17
166 views Andrew so far. On several items I have listed I have had well over a thousand looks, and no takers. Desirability be it based on real quality or due to brainwashing/sheep mentality will see some items sell quickly and other great items due to lack of profile or desirability languish.

That is just the way it works, such is life.

struth
12-06-2016, 11:24
Took 6 months and 2 ads to sell my tt.. And it was a bargain.... I think most here also have their main gear sorted and only a few are interested in new to them higher end stuff.

Macca
12-06-2016, 11:27
People buy with their hearts not their heads and selling is all about painting a picture in their mind.

Is what they taught us when I worked in sales and it is true IME.

Several good quality pictures always helps a lot, a smattering of flowery prose - not too much! - links to reviews, short quotes from reviews, and so forth all help to paint the picture.

Also be in mind that if you are insisting on collection only then the buyer must factor fuel and time into his equation. Some hi-fi you just don't want to ship by courier which is understandable, but if you are not prepared to do that look at asking a significantly lesser amount for the item than a seller who is happy to ship it.

Clive
12-06-2016, 11:55
Summer is not the time to sell, it's the time to buy. Winter is a far better time to sell.

MikeMusic
13-06-2016, 14:51
Replies to my ads vary considerably

You need the wind to be in the right direction

:)

Wakefield Turntables
13-06-2016, 15:24
People expect the earth and expect to pay nothing for it. I only sell things to fund other hifi projects and quite often at a loss, such is this hobby called hifi.

Marco
13-06-2016, 16:33
As people have said, the forum isn't a particularly high traffic forum...

On the contrary, I have access to the stats, and can tell that the traffic levels are pretty healthy for this type of forum. On average, the site gets 16K hits daily. Certainly nothing compared with those of ebay, but well up there with the likes of pfm or Wigwam, both of which have been around much longer and have larger memberships.

The classifieds section here, for example, generates rather more traffic than that on pfm, mainly because there are no posting quantity restrictions for members when advertising here.

However, we do insist that photographs are provided with all ads, which coincidentally is one of the reasons why Private Exhibitions is as active as it is, as buyers appreciate being able to see exactly what they'll be getting, and sellers also benefit from that accordingly!

Besides, if some of you would box-swap less, and try and keep a settled system, you wouldn't need to worry as much about how long things take to sell!! ;)

Marco.

Virtual-Symmetry
13-06-2016, 16:57
Especially the box swappers that pay a lot of money for Equipment! If i was paying the kind of money that some do i would make sure it was the final purchase

:D

Macca
13-06-2016, 17:02
There's box-swapping for the fun of it and box-swapping because you can't get it sounding right and keep making bad choices re fixing it. Not the same thing.

I do both so I know :)

Virtual-Symmetry
13-06-2016, 17:09
Aye & some have not got the first clue what they are doing, that probably why they keep doing what they do.. Just saying :)

Macca
13-06-2016, 17:14
After the first few hundred box-swaps you start to get an idea what you are doing, if you've been paying attention. It's the long, expensive, scenic route.

Joe
13-06-2016, 17:40
After the first few hundred box-swaps you start to get an idea what you are doing, if you've been paying attention. It's the long, expensive, scenic route.

Yeah. You also come to the slow realisation that nothing's perfect, so what you gain on the swings you lose on the roundabouts. It's about working out what compromises you can live with, rather than continually striving for some unattainable 'perfect' system.

walpurgis
13-06-2016, 18:15
Fairly harmless pursuit Box Swapping. Apart from the initial system outlay, it shouldn't cost much in the long term if equipment is chosen well. Sometimes you sell on at a loss, sometimes at a profit or break even. You just have to absorb a bit of postage cost.

Virtual-Symmetry
13-06-2016, 19:00
No what it is people are looking for something that is not going to happen. Some of the systems i have heard at peoples houses & Audio bake off's well there really is no hope & makes me wonder what the hell they are playing at tbh...No wonder they are box swapping..

Macca
13-06-2016, 20:08
Yeah. You also come to the slow realisation that nothing's perfect, so what you gain on the swings you lose on the roundabouts. It's about working out what compromises you can live with, rather than continually striving for some unattainable 'perfect' system.

If you can't hear it doing anything wrong then it's perfect. I'm nearly there. Just need some monster speakers and get my Technics SLP1200 fixed and I'm done. :)

It has taken 30 years to get to this point, mind.

struth
13-06-2016, 20:13
On paper, my system should sound terrible. fortunately I'm not paper, and it doesn't to me. The amp I use should according the its specs be absolute mince. Its better than that though; maybe stew;)

Virtual-Symmetry
13-06-2016, 20:21
The odd thing with me is. I had this exact system in the early 80's but was not entirely happy. The only difference was i use different interconnects. But that is not the reason i have totally changed my tune these days. In a lot of cases in particular with me is i have been on a path for donkies years where i have bought different gear under the illusion its been an upgrade, only going back in time had it dawned on me.

Some people wont have this because they have gotten themselves into a position where if they bought humble equipment again even though its obvious to them it would sound better than the gear they have now, they still would not go back to it. What ever would their Form buddies say eh.

:lol:

struth
13-06-2016, 20:24
the odd thing with me is. I had this exact system in the early 80's but was not entirely happy. The only difference was i use different interconnects. But that is not the reason i have totally changed my tune these days. In a lot of cases in particular with me is i have been on a path for donkies years where i have bought different gear under the illusion its been an upgrade, only going back in time had it dawned on me.

Some people wont have this because they have gotten themselves into a position where if they bought humble equipment again even though its obvious to them it would sound better than the gear they have now, they still would not go back to it. What ever would their form buddies say eh.

:lol:

that should be framed :)

Macca
13-06-2016, 20:31
The expensive gear isn't rubbish but you have the same problem you have with the cheaper stuff in that getting it right is using the right combination of boxes and if you don't pay attention to the basics, or don't know the basics, or your salesman doesn't know what he is doing (except selling) it's easy to screw that up.