PDA

View Full Version : Using the Caiman in a surround setup

joost_db
19-11-2009, 20:32
On the beresford website it mentions that the Caiman can be used as part of a 5.1 surround setup.

How would this work exactly? by running more than 1 caiman simultaneously from a single PC?

chrism
20-11-2009, 08:34
I thought that the Caiman was two channel audio only. I assume that the audio output from the DVD player would feed to the Caiman and then into a surround receiver.

Regards

Chris

StanleyB
20-11-2009, 15:53
On the beresford website it mentions that the Caiman can be used as part of a 5.1 surround setup.
Which Beresford website? Can you post a link?

joost_db
20-11-2009, 16:04
With four digital inputs and three analog outputs, the Beresford TC-7520 DAC is very versatile and can be incorporated into many different types of 2-channel music and multi-channel (e.g. Dolby 5.1) home theater systems.

sorry it was on the homehifi website: http://www.homehifi.co.uk/config/best-connection.htm

p.s. LOVING the DAC btw Stan!

The Vinyl Adventure
20-11-2009, 20:16
i have wondered about that. i just assumed its meant it would be used as a dac between an alternative digital out on a blu-ray/dvd player so it can be used as a cd source??

sburrell
20-11-2009, 23:07
The way I see it, the only way a Caiman could be part of a surround setup (as opposed to simply complementing one as Hamish suggests) is if the decoder amp offered PCM output in stereo pairs (or mono for the sub). Does such a thing exist?
Actually, Stanley, would it be feasible (electronically and commercially) to offer a passthrough option on your DACs? Then those of us with one source offering both stereo and multi-channel audio outputs (such as a computer, like me, or a DVD/Blu-ray player as ChrisM mentions) could add a decoder post-DAC. Just a thought… :)

Carson
21-11-2009, 01:16
If you try and put multi channel audio into the DAC, at least via Coax & Optical anyway, you just get a horrible white noise sound. I wouldn't recommend you try it.

Shanedudddy2
21-11-2009, 02:54
You would run 2 dac's from the one PC.
This would be setup by either of 3 possibilities (1 digital sound output/1 usb output, 2 independant sound outputs or 2 usb outputs)
This would register as 2 separate sound devices.
You may ask then how would you go about using this in a surround setup, well there is this handy program called Virtual Audio Cable, to map out the devices etc.
I haven't tested it, but this is how I plan to get surround with my 7520 and Caiman.

StanleyB
21-11-2009, 07:00

An embarrassing slip of the pen:doh:. The info was put together by a third party, who got it terribly wrong.
I have now removed the offending passages, and shall stick to doing things by myself.

StanleyB
21-11-2009, 08:22
Actually, Stanley, would it be feasible (electronically and commercially) to offer a passthrough option on your DACs? Then those of us with one source offering both stereo and multi-channel audio outputs (such as a computer, like me, or a DVD/Blu-ray player as ChrisM mentions) could add a decoder post-DAC. Just a thought… :)
Very good suggestion. I shall put it down on my list.